• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You LOST my GUN!?

eraseallhope

imported post

Ok...

So I stay at my girlfriends apartment most of the time, but my drivers license and everything I really own is at my parents house.

Well I have a family member who lives there also. he is of age to own a handgun and is aware of firearm safety, I won't say their name or age or anything. But they have a medical marijuana license, FOR SERIOUS MEDICAL REASONS, I do not agree with recreational use of marijuana. I will not mention any names or anything but THIS PERSON has had a suprime court ruling in their favor recenlty over a landmark case for medical marijuana

Well since this person lives in my home and is a main supporter of my close family, I let them hold onto my second handgun at the house...I carry my springfield armory xd every day either LUCC or UOC or CC depending on where I am.
BUT this person is not comfortable with carrying a firearm every where, just likes to keep it close by while in the house "in case of emergency"

Well 2 nights ago this person was on medication, as well as probably on marijuana... and someone had came to the house kind of late..which is not normal...

We have 2 full grown dobermans, and 5 little ones... (Anyone need an excilent guard and house dog? Ahahaha) but they usually scare off anyone even walking by our house on the sidewalk.

So someone knocking on the door at this hour wasn't normal as you can probably tell...

Anyways, this person takes the handgun from the nightstand and goes to see who is at the door...
It ends up being a friend of an uncle of mine coming to pick up a car he had left for a few days while working on it...

Now...This Person swears that he set the weapon down on the front room table and steped outside to give the person the keys and talk for a few minutes...
But does not remember coming back inside and going to sleep because of the medication.

So obviously...I'm freaking out, fliping everything in the house inside out and upside down trying to find this gun for 2 whole days...and then I'm like okay it must not be in this house anymore, so we filed a missing property report with the police department
Gave them all my paper work and serial number for the gun so they could make a report.

So today, this person is looking......in their underwear and socck drawer and guess what magically appears....
So I must say I'm releaved but, we had to call the sheriff and tell them the next day, today, we found the gun (we probably look like idiots)

Well the sheriff department wanted to send an officer over to our house to "see/confirm?" We had found it and do more paper work?

Does anyone understand why they would want to do this?
I was kind of uncomfortable with them coming in the house and inspecting the weapon but that's what they wanted to do, and they met the other person who had missplaced the firearm in the first place when we filed the firstn report...
And when the officer arrives... He's smoking a marijuana cigarette right in the front room!?
I guess he can practice his right to "medicate" in his home just as much as I have a right to carry a firearm hahaha, and the supreme coourt ruled that way in his favor... but still...
I bet the sheriff department is gunna drive down our street a lil more often know that they know they got marijuana and lost guns on my block.. shesh,

Sooo is that a cluster eff of a tale or what?

Pick it apart and please give me some ideas on what you guys think or would do...

I thought this was gunna end up much much worse, and I'm so thankful it turned out the way it did...

But that's my story.. stay safe guys.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
Well the sheriff department wanted to send an officer over to our house to "see/confirm?" We had found it and do more paper work?

Does anyone understand why they would want to do this?
I was kind of uncomfortable with them coming in the house and inspecting the weapon but that's what they wanted to do, and they met the other person who had missplaced the firearm in the first place when we filed the firstn report...
And when the officer arrives... He's smoking a marijuana cigarette right in the front room!?
PM sent.

You didn't have to let the sheriff in to your house. You could have told them, "Thanks, but no thanks" on the phone and been done with it. You never have to let any officer into your house unless he/she has a warrant.

But lets say you wanted to help them fill out the paperwork. You still don't have to let them inside to do so. You could have brought the firearm outside, or to his car, or to the front door. I'm obviously unfamiliar with your friend and the local sheriffs department's understanding of his situation. Maybe they knew already and are totally fine with it, and if so, that's great. But if not, you did your friend a disservice by allowing the sheriff to enter your household and see him using drugs. The sheriff could have immediately called his supervisor to arrange for a search warrant to be conducted at the address based on what the officer saw. Sure, your friend won't be in trouble because of prior court rulings, but the amount of hassle involved would be entirely not worth it. Your friend could also be prevented from obtaining his marijuana for a brief period of time if the sheriffs confiscate his prescription/medical marijuana card.

If you know there are pseudo-illegal things going on in your house, don't let the police inside. Don't even open the door if there is marijuana smoke inside. Meet the officer outside if you want to. Or, better yet, just tell them you found the gun and that you appreciate their time but you will not be allowing them to verify that fact for themselves. If they show up, don't answer the door.

On a related note, I fail to see the difference between alcohol and marijuana. Both are mind-altering drugs, both impair judgment, both are enjoyable. How anybody can be against the recreational use of marijuana but for the recreational use of alcohol is beyond me.

Hef

imported post

Possession of the firearm and marijuana is still a felony weapons possession charge. Learn your lesson and keep your guns under your control and away from drugs or YOU will end up getting arrested.

ConsideringOC

imported post

When you filed the report of the missing gun... its like reporting acar stolen. It gets entered into the national computer as a lost/ stolen. Now that gun has to be cleared out. they will not do it on your word. They need to lay eyes on it. Same with a car. Call them and ask if you cal bring it there for inspection. By the way medical marijuana cards dont make it legal. It is still illegal!

markm

imported post

Hef wrote:
Possession of the firearm and marijuana is still a felony weapons possession charge. Learn your lesson and keep your guns under your control and away from drugs or YOU will end up getting arrested.

Hey Eraseallhope,

Hef has a good point; although, I don't know the law as it pertains to possession of a concealable weapon, that isregistered to another, whileunder the influence of mind-altering-drugs.

I would bet that if your freind (or relative) accidently shot someone in his house with your gun, while under the effect of a mind altering drug, the result for youwould be legal trouble. At the least, you would be named in a civil suit.

Be safe, keep your guns in your possession--let your freind buy his own gun! Guns are not that expensive.

There is always a limit to charity; and people who demand charity are not your freinds.

In a worst case scenario, if your friend has an accident with your gun, the bad press will taint all gun owners.

markm

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Yeah man, game over.

I would lend a gun to a fellow OCer, or family, or close friends. IF they were safe, legal, responsible and cautious.

Sounds like there were a couple of ingredients missing in that cluster eff stew of yours.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConsideringOC wrote:
When you filed the report of the missing gun... its like reporting acar stolen. It gets entered into the national computer as a lost/ stolen. Now that gun has to be cleared out. they will not do it on your word. They need to lay eyes on it. Same with a car. Call them and ask if you cal bring it there for inspection. By the way medical marijuana cards dont make it legal. It is still illegal!
Hmmmm. I've run out of patience with this sort of government nonsense.

They took my word for it that it was missing; they can take my word for it (written statement) that it turned up.

What is the deal here?

"Oh, yes, Mr. Citizen, we are glad to take your report of a missing gun. It gives us one more opportunity to arrest someone, get an evil gun off the street, and some officer gets an attaboy in his personnel folder."

"Oh, no, Mr. Citizen, we are not happy to have one less gun to remove from the streets. That is our job, you see. It is like taking wood from carpenters; it cuts into our work opportunity. No, I am afraid we will have to verify for ourselves that it was never missing in the first place."

March Hare

imported post

I can appreciate you doing your friend a favor by letting him borrow one of your firearms, but I think the liability for yourself here is just way too high (no pun intended).

If he doesn't remember coming back inside, the possibility of something really bad happening with a loaded firearm while 'blacked out' is just too scary to contemplate.

Please do yourself and him a favor, retrieve your firearm before we see, read or hear about your friend on the news!

The 'Brady Bunch' just love it when someone in your friends' situation makes a mistake with a 'scary gun'.

As far as letting the police in the house, don't!

Be safe.

-MH

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

You said in your post:

"suprime court ruling,excilent guard, steped outside,fliping everything, socck drawer, the firstn report, the supreme coourt, a cluster eff of a tale"

and you also said:

"Pick it apart and please give me some ideas on what you guys think or would do..."

Ok, here's what I think.Get a good spell checker.:p I use the Google tool bar and it includes a spell checker. Go to Google and they'll show you how to set it up on your computer. (however, if they are simple typos, then - Never Mind:D)

As to your story, being an ex-cop and having experience in "verifying" lost property laterfound, in this case it is proper to send an officer for verification purposes.

Now a question, when I was having radio for my throat cancer I was asked by one of the nurses if I wanted to start taking medical marijuana for thepain. I politely refused. Now I'm thinking, since it has become fairly popular especially around here (SF Bay) maybe I should start, albeit the pain is long gone. However there are other pains re: the surgery. Who do I see? My PCP? Do I have to pay out of pocket, or does my HMO cover the expenses?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
SNIP As to your story, being an ex-cop and having experience in "verifying" lost property laterfound, in this case it is proper to send an officer for verification purposes.

Now a question, when I was having radio for my throat cancer I was asked by one of the nurses if I wanted to start taking medical marijuana for thepain. I politely refused. Now I'm thinking, since it has become fairly popular especially around here (SF Bay) maybe I should start, albeit the pain is long gone. However there are other pains re: the surgery. Who do I see? My PCP? Do I have to pay out of pocket, or does my HMO cover the expenses?

Just a moment, sir. We will need to send an officer to verify that you recovered your common sense regarding medical marijuana.

[Sorry. Couldn't resist. :):p]

bigtoe416

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
You want this: http://www.canorml.org/prop/215physicians.html

Expect to pay a 200-300 bucks for the prescription, which I think lasts a year or two, I don't remember. Then with your prescription you can go to a dispensary and buy whatever you want. In SF there's even a place that will deliver.

Or just wait until November when it is made legal for any use.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:
SNIP As to your story, being an ex-cop and having experience in "verifying" lost property laterfound, in this case it is proper to send an officer for verification purposes.

Just a moment, sir. We will need to send an officer to verify that you recovered your common sense regarding medical marijuana.

[Sorry. Couldn't resist. :):p]
lol, ok, so it took me awhile. My reason in the very beginning was, since it was still illegal under *federal law* than I would abide by following the law. I work where we are tested randomly and we are covered by *federal law* re: the use of marijuana in any form. So I had to be very careful and not venture into something that was partially still illegal. In addition, if I partake in medical marijuana and get random tested and show residue in my system I will be terminated. On the spot! So what I'm planning is to look into this a little bit more *after* I retire which will be in the near future. Then I won't have to worry about my job.:celebrate

bigtoe416

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
lol, ok, so it took me awhile. My reason in the very beginning was, since it was still illegal under *federal law* than I would abide by following the law. I work where we are tested randomly and we are covered by *federal law* re: the use of marijuana in any form. So I had to be very careful and not venture into something that was partially still illegal. In addition, if I partake in medical marijuana and get random tested and show residue in my system I will be terminated. On the spot!
I think I'd have to turn down any job that demanded to randomly take samples of my body for testing. I'm guessing this is a government contract job?

markm

imported post

BigToe416 wrote,

"I think I'd have to turn down any job that demanded to randomly take samples of my body for testing. I'm guessing this is a government contract job?"

Hey BigToe,

Is marijuana worth limiiting your job prospects to next to nothing? Most employers require drug testing. And I am glad. People under the influence of anything should not be operating, or work around any equipment. People who are using should not be around the public.

All of our accidents at one company I worked for were caused by pot addicts. The alcoholics were easy to spot and control. We could not detect the decrease in brain-function caused by pot until it was too late. These people became, in a really slow way, stupid. After the accidents, we could piece the puzzle together; however, the incremental loss of brain function was not discernable on a daily basis. With treatment and a retesting program, these employees returned and regained their positions as some of our best employees.

markm

Superlite27

imported post

eraseallhope wrote:
(we probably look like idiots)

Sooo is that a cluster eff of a tale or what?

Pick it apart and please give me some ideas on what you guys think or would do...

Advice?

Stop lending guns to "friends".

A true friend who is responsible would have enough thought and concern for you in return to not be careless with your property.

I have no problem with having concern for others and giving them a hand. But when they fail to hold you in the same regard, why go out on a limb for them when YOU will be the one taking the hit if anything were to go south (as it evidently has).

If they need a firearm for self defense.......

...why do they need yours?

Why don't they just go get one of their own?

If there's a reason they have not, or are unable to do so, why would you offer to hang yourself for their benefit?

As for the title of the thread:
You LOST my GUN!?

No. YOU lost YOUR gun.

markm

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
No. YOU lost YOUR gun.

Hey Superlilte27:

Whiskey Tango Golf!

+10 for that profound thought!

Moral relativism and situational ethics are not your strong suit (thank God!).

markm

bigtoe416

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
BigToe416 wrote,

"I think I'd have to turn down any job that demanded to randomly take samples of my body for testing. I'm guessing this is a government contract job?"

Hey BigToe,

Is marijuana worth limiiting your job prospects to next to nothing? Most employers require drug testing. And I am glad. People under the influence of anything should not be operating, or work around any equipment. People who are using should not be around the public.

All of our accidents at one company I worked for were caused by pot addicts. The alcoholics were easy to spot and control. We could not detect the decrease in brain-function caused by pot until it was too late. These people became, in a really slow way, stupid. After the accidents, we could piece the puzzle together; however, the incremental loss of brain function was not discernable on a daily basis. With treatment and a retesting program, these employees returned and regained their positions as some of our best employees.

markm
I've never been tested for drugs at any workplace, but it is my understanding that you still fail the drug test if you are not under the influence of any drugs but something that you used days ago comes up in the test. I certainly don't have a problem with preventing people who are under the influence from working, especially if it is with heavy machinery. But you'd have to test everybody every morning to prevent that.

To answer your question regarding my limiting of job prospects, I've yet to turn down a job which required drug testing. I wouldn't hesitate to do it though. What I do during personal time is no business of my employer providing that it doesn't affect my work performance. I also wouldn't subject myself to a test that could identify if I had read a banned book, or had a job interview somewhere else, or had consumed alcohol or caffeine. It simply isn't anybody's business.

On a side note, I imagine if you want to keep people who are under the influence of marijuana from working, just play Alice in Wonderland in the break room with some music playing over it and offer free Del Taco. They'll be in that room all day long, totally harmless. Just try to keep the laughing down.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
I think I'd have to turn down any job that demanded to randomly take samples of my body for testing. I'm guessing this is a government contract job?

I drive transit buses. Since we are partially funded by the feds (as is all public transit systems) there are rules set in place to protect the public. The testing is done randomly to see if you test positive while *driving.* What happens is they send a van out and you are then "pulled" out of the seat. The driver of the van takes over control of the bus and you are given 30 minutes to get to the designated place where they take a urine sample. There is no drug testing when you apply forthe job. They do however have a very strict background check and any report of an arrest due to dui and you're automatically disqualified from further testing. Thereis even a clause that if you've been convicted of "moral turpitude" you're out also. (what da hell is that?) There have been several drivers who have tested positive toxin but it is quite rare. Also, if you're involved in any accident while driving you must be tested. I have tested positive twice (for morphine) but it was because of my medicine. I had to fax the prescription med. label to the doctor to be exempted)

btw, The job pays very well (about $45/hr including benefits) so any driver that screws up must be either well off or a complete idiot)

I might add that we are also covered under the Patriot Act. Any passenger causing an injury to a driver while on duty becomes a federal offense. (or any passenger causing an injury to another passenger)