• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You LOST my GUN!?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
btw, The job pays very well (about $45/hr including benefits) so any driver that screws up must be either well off or a complete idiot)

I might add that we are also covered under the Patriot Act. Any passenger causing an injury to a driver while on duty becomes a federal offense. (or any passenger causing an injury to another passenger)
:what: $45 an hour? I hope you're driving golden buses filled with golden grahams.

Also, the PATRIOT ACT (capitalized because it's an acronym) is a bunch of unconstitutional nonsense.

Having said that, I might be willing to pee in a cup every now and then for getting $45 an hour for driving around town. I'm definitely for testing drivers who get into accidents.

Nopal

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
No. YOU lost YOUR gun.

Hey Superlilte27:

Whiskey Tango Golf!

+10 for that profound thought!

Moral relativism and situational ethics are not your strong suit (thank God!).

markm

Situational ethics and moral relativism are two completely different beasts. It's like comparing apples and penguins.

Situational ethics cansuccessfully existsin a world of absoluteright and wrong. Moral relativism, by definition, cannot.

If anything, Superlite27 applied situational ethics effectively in his logic (Good to help a friend, except if the situation is such that he doesn't deserve or appreciate the help).

markm

imported post

Hey Hawaii Five-0,

I was a Master Mariner and had the same drug testing issues that you have. I didnot mind.

Hey BigToe,

Your opinion regarding drug testing is much more reasonable than I originally thought when you made the post in question. I thought you were more ridgedly opposed to drug testing.

Hey Nopal,

You are being way to philosophical with your definition of moral relativsm and situational ethics. What is your PHD in? Philosophy, theology, or Phsycology?

Currently, normal usage for those terms inour cultureis almost interchangable.Also, thedefinitions for moral and ethicsarealmost interchangeable--they are extremely similar. The PC crowd has tried to eliminate the word moral from our culture and have tried to replace it with "ethical." It is Bravo Sierra.

I was trying to pay Superlite27 a compliment, but as usual, my attempts at dry humor did not work--sorry! Whiskey Tango Golf is international phonetic spelling for "Way To Go."

I don't agree with your explanation for what Superlite27 meant by "No, you lost your gun!" I thought he meant thatit is was the responsibility of the person who owns the gun to secure the gun and make sure that it is being responsibly used. I am probably wrong again.

Again, my apologies.

Nopal

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Hey Hawaii Five-0,

I was a Master Mariner and had the same drug testing issues that you have. I didnot mind.

Hey BigToe,

Your opinion regarding drug testing is much more reasonable than I originally thought when you made the post in question. I thought you were more ridgedly opposed to drug testing.

Hey Nopal,

You are being way to philosophical with your definition of moral relativsm and situational ethics. What is your PHD in? Philosophy, theology, or Phsycology?

Currently, normal usage for those terms inour cultureis almost interchangable.Also, thedefinitions for moral and ethicsarealmost interchangeable--they are extremely similar. The PC crowd has tried to eliminate the word moral from our culture and have tried to replace it with "ethical." It is Bravo Sierra.

I was trying to pay Superlite27 a compliment, but as usual, my attempts at dry humor did not work--sorry! Whiskey Tango Golf is international phonetic spelling for "Way To Go."

I don't agree with your explanation for what Superlite27 meant by "No, you lost your gun!" I thought he meant thatit is was the responsibility of the person who owns the gun to secure the gun and make sure that it is being responsibly used. I am probably wrong again.

Again, my apologies.

Well, to be honest this is the first time that I've ever heard those terms used interchangeably, but on the bigger picture, I completely agree with you. I've been accused of being a little anal at times, and a lot at others, and I'm beginning to suspect that those accusations may not be entirely without base. :uhoh:

Cheers! :dude:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Now a question, when I was having radio for my throat cancer I was asked by one of the nurses if I wanted to start taking medical marijuana for thepain. I politely refused. Now I'm thinking, since it has become fairly popular especially around here (SF Bay) maybe I should start, albeit the pain is long gone. However there are other pains re: the surgery. Who do I see? My PCP? Do I have to pay out of pocket, or does my HMO cover the expenses?
You want this: http://www.canorml.org/prop/215physicians.html

Expect to pay a 200-300 bucks for the prescription, which I think lasts a year or two, I don't remember. Then with your prescription you can go to a dispensary and buy whatever you want. In SF there's even a place that will deliver.

Or just wait until November when it is made legal for any use.
A couple corrections:

Doctors can NOT prescribe marijuana. The FDA regulates prescription drugs. Marijuana is a Schedule 1 narcotic (the "worst of the worst" list) and cannot be prescribed under ANY circumstance.

CA law provides legal protection for doctors and patients where the doctor "recommends" the use of marijuana.

The cost through MediCann is about $130 and is good for up to one year. If you're on Medicare or Medicaid, it'll be covered but I understand there's still a small copay (like $30). Renewing each year is usually about $90 (or the $30 copay).

Also to clarify, you can't just go to any dispensary. However, you can designate a "caregiver" (only one) who can grow marijuana for you, and charge you reasonable costs associated with growing it. They're call "co-ops" because it's a bunch of patients having one provider grow for all of them. Of course, you can change providers if needed... I hear there are some really bad dispensaries... and some really good ones.

A good friend of mine has been a "medical marijuana" patient for years. So, I have this information from what I believe is a reliable source, but do your own research before you spend any money.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Is marijuana worth limiiting your job prospects to next to nothing? Not all places test, and not all places that test penalize those with medical reasons to use marijuana. In fact, last year the legislature considered legislation that would prohibit employment discrimination against "medical marijuana" users. I believe you exaggerate the consequences of responsible use. Most employers require drug testing. And I am glad. People under the influence of anything should not be operating, or work around any equipment. "Anything"? Nicotine? Caffeine? Sugar? All of these are psychoactive substances (aka "drugs"). I'll agree to the extent that people using certain drugs shouldn't be operating heavy machinery. How about a desk job where the worst that can happen is a paper cut? Do you think it's good for those jobs to drug test? People who are using should not be around the public. Why? Do you think pot heads are dangerously violent people? I've met a couple hundred of them in my life, and have found the opposite to be true.

All of our accidents at one company I worked for were caused by pot addicts. ALL of them? I very much doubt it. In fact I've never seen/heard of an industrial accident caused by marijuana use. Alcohol and meth are at the top of the list (from my experience). The alcoholics were easy to spot and control. We could not detect the decrease in brain-function caused by pot until it was too late. These people became, in a really slow way, stupid. After the accidents, we could piece the puzzle together; however, the incremental loss of brain function was not discernable on a daily basis. Studies have shown that even heavy, chronic marijuana use do NOT result in long-term damage to brain function. Only while under the influence are motor function and short-term memory affected (Drugs, Behavior, and Modern Society - 5th Ed - Levinthal) With treatment and a retesting program, these employees returned and regained their positions as some of our best employees.

markm
My responses/questions inline above in bold.

Mark, your beliefs are not uncommon in our society. This is not surprising when you consider the consider budget the government has had for decades worth of propaganda. A few short years ago I would have been saying similar things. However, I think that given some open consideration, you too may find yourself viewing marijuana as less harmful than you currently do.

If you don't believe there has been a concerted effort by the US government to demonize marijuana... please do some research on the subject. Find a copy of the government-funded film "Reefer Madness" which depicts marijuana as causing, "insanity," "uncontrollable hysterical laughter," depravity, and murder. You'll think you're watching a comedy... but in fact you're seeing what the government was selling as "fact" back in the 30s.

The fact is that marijuana is harmful only to your lungs... except that because it's illegal and unregulated there are sometimes contamination issues (growers using harmful/illegal pesticides on the plants). The vast majority of violent crime associated with marijuana is "systemic violence." This is crime associated with anything that is made illegal. The government has created a situation where gangs can make money off something, and where gangs are involved, you'll run into violence.

Decriminalizing marijuana is the best solution. It could then be regulated, making it safer for users (and raising some tax dollars at the same time). It would become far more common, making it cheaper. This also means gangs won't be able to make money off of it (have you heard of a gang selling beer since Prohibition was repealed?). Employers could treat marijuana use like they do alcohol use, so workplaces wouldn't suffer. And most importantly, people would view it with less stigma. This means people who abuse marijuana due to underlying mental health issues would be more likely to get the help they need.

I've spent my entire life around alcohol addicts and marijuana addicts. I'll take the latter every day of the week. Alcohol is far more harmful to the body, mind, and judgement, and is far more addictive than marijuana. Yet marijuana is a Schedule 1 narcotic - that's in the same category as meth and heroin. Why? Because at one time politicians viewed marijuana as a way to control minorities. Mexicans and Negroes used marijuana.

I'll finish with some infamous quotes from the people who made marijuana illegal - in their own words at the time they did it. If nothing else I said convinces you, I hope you'll at least be inspired by these quotes. It's never to late to put down the cool-aid.

From http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

When Montana outlawed marijuana in 1927, the Butte Montana Standard reported a legislator’s comment: “When some beet field peon takes a few traces of this stuff… he thinks he has just been elected president of Mexico, so he starts out to execute all his political enemies.” In Texas, a senator said on the floor of the Senate: “All Mexicans are crazy, and this stuff [marijuana] is what makes them crazy.”
newspapers in 1934 editorialized: “Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men’s shadows and look at a white woman twice.”
Dr. A. E. Fossier wrote in the 1931 New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal: “Under the influence of hashish those fanatics would madly rush at their enemies, and ruthlessly massacre every one within their grasp.” Within a very short time, marijuana started being linked to violent behavior.

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”
~Harry J. Anslinger, appointed director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics when it was founded in 1930.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”
~Harry J. Anslinger, appointed director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics when it was founded in 1930.
Kill your brother...through pacifism! <scary music>

Thanks for the corrections on the way medical marijuana works. Always wondered why they were co-ops, and now I know.

And knowing is half the battle!

G.I. Joe!!!