• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

out of state oregon ccw process

scoobydoo6906

imported post

So I live in the Couve and work over in Portland and I am interested in getting an out of state carry permit for Oregon. I work at the Lloyd Center mall, I think you understand why I am particularly set on getting one. If anybody would be kind enough to enlighten me on the process I'd be grateful. I know safety courses are required to get a permit but that's all I know. So who and where are they offered and what order is everything done in? Oh if anybody knows of a Or/Ut/Fl safety course I am looking one of those specifically. My soon to be wife has family in Florida and I think an out of state permit for there would be a good idea for family visits. thanks in advance for all your help.

Leonard

Weave

imported post

Check out www.usacarry.com They have info for all 50 states. Oregon you need a firearms safety course. I am a Washington Res. I live in the Gorge and got my permit in Wasco County. No problems at all. I hear multonomah county isnt a problem either. Some counties require a "business interest" in Oregon to issue a permit. Your work location is a clear business interest (although they have a no firearms policy at the mall I think). I also have heard a certain county sheriff is offering out of state permits at gun shows. You take a simple course and apply. Im not sure on all the details though. Also, if you want to carry in FLA, get your Washington license. FLA will now honor WA licenses.

PoppaGary

imported post

You can also take a safety course at the Clackamas County Public Safety Office.

http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/sheriff/pstc.jsp

Usually you need to apply in the county adjacent to your area of residence on WA, but I had also heard about the Grant County Sheriff being willing to issue permits to WA residents w/o having to live adjacent to his county.

You will also need to provide a notarized statement that you have never been committed or otherwise deemed crazy.

I still need to get off my butt and get my permit, as with any other permit it allows carry (both OC& CC)where you couldn't w/o one.

Gary

Cremator75

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
You will also need to provide a notarized statement that you have never been committed or otherwise deemed crazy.
I have never had to do this, and never heard of it before. Is this for Non Res. only?

scoobydoo6906

imported post

who deems you non crazy? I mean what does it matter if I only have to write it on paper and not really prove it and have it notarized? I guess I might feel bad being crazy and lying about it. I might even cry lol.

PoppaGary

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
PoppaGary wrote:
I have never had to do this, and never heard of it before. Is this for Non Res. only?
It was for non-res only, thinkit had to do with the it being harder for an out of state LE to request confidential info from the Health Dept. I think it had to be from them maybe, but anyhow that was a couple of years ago and when I look now to reference, I can't find that req from either Clack or Mutl counties. :exclaim:

Who knows, it might have been one of the Sheriff's ways to weasel out of part of the background check, they might have changed the law (to either allow the research or not req'd, something) OR, maybe I was getting it confused with something else. At the time thought it was a little weird and that it just made it a bit of a hassle for the applicant.

Gary