• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Liqour Store Carry

Lawman635

imported post

I have searched on this site and Utahconcealedcarry.com and have came across some articles on carrying open/ concealed into a liqour store. My question is what staue states that we can or cannot open carry/conceal into a state liquor store. Namely the one on 4th north in Logan. There have been some debate on whether if it is illegal to carry in establishments funded by the state, or federal gov. Now i dont want people to say its a bad image for us open carriers to walk into a liquor store. Not my intention to draw negative attention to our cause.But I don't like leaving my gun in my car(glove box mostly). Even though i lock my car and glove box. Also children are not allowed into the store, so i would be leaving a gun in the car(Locked up) with children(under 18). Any help clarifying this would be much appreciated.

"The only difference between an American and the rest of the world, is that he would rather die on his feet, than live onhis knee's"

George Washington

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Subsection 76-10-501(9); and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

Lawman635

imported post

I thought it pertained to that law but was not 100% sure. Thank you for clarifying that up.

PavePusher

imported post

Lawman635 wrote:
I have searched on this site and Utahconcealedcarry.com and have came across some articles on carrying open/ concealed into a liqour store. My question is what staue states that we can or cannot open carry/conceal into a state liquor store. Namely the one on 4th north in Logan. There have been some debate on whether if it is illegal to carry in establishments funded by the state, or federal gov. Now i dont want people to say its a bad image for us open carriers to walk into a liquor store. Not my intention to draw negative attention to our cause.But I don't like leaving my gun in my car(glove box mostly). Even though i lock my car and glove box. Also children are not allowed into the store, so i would be leaving a gun in the car(Locked up) with children(under 18). Any help clarifying this would be much appreciated.

"The only difference between an American and the rest of the world, is that he would rather die on his feet, than live onhis knee's"

George Washington
I O.C. in the Sugar House area liquor store every time I'm in Salt Lake. Never had a problem.