• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying into Dulles International - With gun?

tricityguy

imported post

Folks,

I'm flying into Dulles to pick up a car I purchased. I'm planning on checking my Beretta Tomcat .32 with a pair of 6 round mags, and picking it up when I land at Dulles. Per TSA policy it will be locked in a secure, hard-sided case.

Question: Do you foresee any problems retrieving my handgun upon landing? I know nothing of Virginia law and am not interested in being arrested.

Thank you!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just make sure you comply with all TSA and airline rules.

I don't know where you are coming from, if you have a concealed carry permit from that state, if you intend to carry concealed, etc.So all I can say to you is if you carry openly, you should have no problem.

Permits to carry are not required in Virginia to open carry a pistol/revolver. Ensure you do not place it in a console or glove box of your car, it would be concealed then. Leave it on your hip or on the passenger seat, you should be okay.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Wait until you get off of airport property before you uncase it.

Or am I wrong about this being partly owned by DC?

Their regs merely state:

§ 8.4. Dangerous Weapons Prohibited. (1) No person may possess a dangerous weapon within or bring any dangerous weapon into the Airports’ terminals or the airfields or any building that opens onto the airfield on which signs are posted so as to give reasonable notice to the public unless: (a) the person is a passenger of an airline and possesses the weapon in one of the Airports’ terminals for the sole purposes of (i) presenting such weapon to U.S. Customs agents in advance of an international flight, (ii) checking such weapon with his luggage, or (iii) retrieving such weapon from the baggage claim area, and the weapon, if a firearm, is unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container to which only that person retains the key or combination; or (b) the weapon is (i) packaged for shipment in a container that is locked or otherwise secured and (ii) if a firearm, unloaded, and (iii) brought or possessed on Authority facilities for shipment by air or retrieval after shipment by air.
I always thought that you could not have an uncased gun on the property in general, not in this limited area.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Wait until you get off of airport property before you uncase it.
Out of the terminal.

I OC at Dulles all time. Just not INSIDE any Air Carrier terminal at Dulles. including FedEx (yes, fedex is an air carrier, general aviation, etc.)

Here is the letter MWAA wrote me in 2008: http://www.vcdl.org/letters/mwaa2008.pdf

Ed

bullseye

Campaign Veteran

tricityguy

imported post

Excellent! Appreciate the responses, thank you all very much. Yes, I'm from Washington, and I do have a concealed pistol license. Nice to know Virginia will recognize my CPL!

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

Flew into Dulles last Saturday with my G30. No problems at all. The case in NJ is not binding on VA. Different Circuit and a completely different state mentality anyway.

VA is for lovers.. And gun owners as well.

:celebrate

GULCer

imported post

swinokur wrote:
The case in NJ is not binding on VA. Different Circuit and a completely different state mentality anyway.

You are crazy if you think the 4th Circuit would go the other way. The 3rd Circuit isn't the 1st or 9th.

The case has no negative citing references on either Westlaw or Lexis and I think is the correct reading of the statute, even if the outcome is not the one that we as gun owners would like. The 4th Circuit is quite literal in its interpretation of federal statutes and thus would be likely to rule in the same manner.

If you decide not to follow the mandates in the ruling its playing Russian Roulette with your freedom.

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

I said it wasn't binding. I made no claim that another Circuit would find differently. The stated risk is up to the traveler to decide. .

Users can do as they wish. My other point is VA has a slightly different mentality about guns than the asshats in NJ. The original post asked about Dulles. I doubt seriously anyone would face the NJ issues in VA.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GULCer wrote:
swinokur wrote:
The case in NJ is not binding on VA. Different Circuit and a completely different state mentality anyway.
... I think is the correct reading of the statute, even if the outcome is not the one that we as gun owners would like. The 4th Circuit is quite literal in its interpretation of federal statutes and thus would be likely to rule in the same manner. ...

I agree. I think the problem is that those framing the statute assumed automotive travel, not travel generally. That statute needs to be amended to replace language that relates to keeping the gun out of reach of the owner, and in its place it should say something like, "as long as it's kept in its locked container". That would accomplish the same result without putting limitations on people who choose to travel other than by automobile.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bullseye wrote:
We'll guess that you reside in Washington [based on your posting history], a state which Virginia will grant recognition to valid permit holders; should you have a concealed carry permit. Source: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Anyone who travels by air needs to be aware of Revell v. Port Authority (3d Cir. 2010). A decent summary can be read at:Unexpected Flight Delay => Hotel Stay => Criminal Prosecution for Gun Possession

Was there a prosecution?

What was the issue in Revell?

Fenris

imported post

It would also be nice if the revision stipulated that you could stop for food, gas, lodging, mechanical breakdown, potty breaks for the kids, etc. All the wonderful joys that can afflict the modern traveler.

If you value life without a felony conviction, avoid NY, NJ, and DC.

tricityguy

imported post

Frankly, in any civilized nation, people would have the right to self defense at any time and place of necessity. A locked up gun is useless.

nemo

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I'm from Washington, and I do have a concealed pistol license.
TCG,

I wondered, when I saw your handle, as we, too, are from Washington. We lived in Pasco, across the river from PNL, from 1980-1999. I would shoot at rattlesnake (they only had the 100 yard range), the airport, and up-river.

What brings you here? And as long as you are here, you can OC, so you will not need your concealed license to do what the constitution says you can do.

tricityguy

imported post

Nemo -

Cool! You know, it's funny, I've run into former Tri-City folks all over the country. Sure is a small world. I've lived here since '79-'80 as well. Moved up to Oak Harbor (on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound) for a year in '96 but came right back.

So, what brings me to Virginia... I bought a car (picture attached) and I'm driving it home cross country. :) Haven't had an adventure in awhile and figured it was time.

stickslinger

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Folks,

I'm flying into Dulles to pick up a car I purchased. I'm planning on checking my Beretta Tomcat .32 with a pair of 6 round mags, and picking it up when I land at Dulles. Per TSA policy it will be locked in a secure, hard-sided case.

Question: Do you foresee any problems retrieving my handgun upon landing? I know nothing of Virginia law and am not interested in being arrested.

Thank you!
Hi all,

Haven't posted here in a while, but this post caught my. I recently traveled from Dulles to Houston and back with two pistols. Glock 22 and an XD 40. I have a lockable flightproof case that I used that could hold the two. The firearms have to be unloaded (the agent will want you to show them) and no rounds can be packed into the same case as the firearms. The rounds can be carried in other checked baggage as long as they are in it's orginal box, etc. When arriving at the counter, tell the agent you are checking firearms and they will inspect it and place a tag within noting the same (that is was inspected). Lock it back up, give it back to the agent. They may send it over to a TSA agent for a second look.
When I left Houston, same process.

Here are the TSA rules:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

FlightProof Case:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0037552227930a&navCount=0&podId=0037552&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=flightproof&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

Hope this helps, this was what I experienced anyways.

Have a good trip.

-b

tricityguy

imported post

no rounds can be packed into the same case as the firearms

Whomever told you that was mistaken. From the TSA rules you posted:

"You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above."

I have a copy of the TSA rules and will be bringing them with me in case I need to fend off an overzealous TSA agent making up rules on the spot.