• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Instructors

hunter9mm

imported post

Ok… Seeing as there is quite a bit of chatter on the forum these days about “Certified Instructors” and what they do, how much money they charge, and where they’re from.

Out of my frustration on this, by doing simple Google searches on the names, I did a little research on the names that I’ve seen over the past several weeks. This is just what I have been able to find, and would enjoy any input from those of you who certainly have been around here for much longer than I have, and may know these guys personally. As far as that goes, I know several of them are active members of this forum, so now’s your chance to add to your “Resume so-to-speak”

These are the names I’ve collected over the past several weeks…

Brad Krause:[/b]

Most of us here know who Brad is, if you don’t, he’s the guy that plants trees with a sidearm and really annoys the West Allis PD.

Brad is a certified AACFI instructor, and from my personal chat with him last week, is a pretty nice guy too. He’s a Wisconsin resident and teaches Wisconsin classes.

Bill Schmitz:[/b]

Bill is also an AACFI Instructor out of Red Granite WI, and teaches Wisconsin classes.

John Clark (JJC)[/b]

John is also an AACFI Instructor out of the LaCrosse WI area, and teaches Wisconsin classes.

Mark Thole:[/b]

Mark is the owner and lead instructor at Midwest Marksman Inc. (Could not find out where it is located)

Mark’s website posts classes in various areas of safety and Personal Protection al seemingly NRA affiliated with locations in both Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Gene German:[/b]

Gene’s website primarily speaks to Minnesota permit training

Steve Gibbs:[/b]

Steve was a bit harder to find information on although it appears he is an attorney and teaches instructors in the Minnesota Personal Protection Group about firearm laws in Minnesota. Steve is/has been a board member with the NRA.

Disclaimer: If I have made any errors in anyone’s info, please correct it here, as I have done only simple Google searches to get this public information.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Your information is correct on Bill and Deb Schmitz as they are a husband and wife team who teach an excellent CC permit course and are developing a defensive pistol course. Bill has assured me that if WI gets recipriocity in its CC license with any of the other states he teaches, he will honor any past graduates and provide documentation for a WI CC for minimal cost. Bill and Deb will be participating in the La Crosse County OC picnic door prize drawing on May 16th in West Salem.

Mark Thole of Midwest Marksmen is also an excellent instructor by all accounts and is a top ranked defensive shooter who teaches an excellent self defense course. Mark has recently offered a huge discount for members of Wisconsin Carry Inc. and will also be participating in the La Crosse County OC picnic door prize drawing on May 16th in West Salem.

phred

imported post

kawisixer01 wrote:
+1 on Mike Bender.... I have taken several of this classes, nice guy.

+2 on Mike. I just returned home from Handgun- 3 at Lodi. While I don't have the experience to compare Mike to other defensive shooting instructors, I am quite satisfied with what and how I am learning.

countrymama

imported post

+many on Steve Gibbs ( & the team)

I took the NRA's Defensive Pistol in the home class (I know thats not the exact name) and it also included the MN CCW permit class from he, his wife and Ron & Mary Purvis.

I would recommend them, and have, to anyone. They did a stellar job! It was a 2-day class with lots of shooting and role-play type situations. Put you in the split-second shoot/don't shoot mindset.

It was very worthwhile and I would take it again in a heartbeat.