• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC at Tea Party

Publius

imported post

I recently UOC at a Tea Party in my local area, but wondered of anyone else intended to go to the Apr 15th Ta Party in Sacramento and if anyone else would be UOC.

I ask because after UOC 7 times prior to the Tea Party event I went to without incident, on my 8th time, at the event I had my first encounter with LEO's.

They were respectful but handled things in a way that showed their ignorance on the subject. This hasn't completely discouraged me from OUC at the state capital but it has made me think twice.

Can anyone advise?

jsebclark

imported post

See this tread about how you can UOC at the State Capital.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/41853.html

IMO it probably would be best to make a political speech protest by wearing an empty holster rather than actually UOC. Remember you would really just be carrying an unloaded firearm with no access to ammo at the state capital. Also, I think the empty holster statement with some positive press will help counter the push in the state legislator to ban UOC completely (for normal non-exempted law-abiding citizens, like most of us in this state).

Publius

imported post

Yes, if I don't UOC, I will be performing an empty holster protest in its place.

However, from reading the applicable penal codes (at least the ones given in the thread link provided), there seems to be nothing to suggest that UOC is any more restricted at the state capital than anywhere else. Does anyone know otherwise?

jsebclark

imported post

Publius wrote:
Yes, if I don't UOC, I will be performing an empty holster protest in its place.

However, from reading the applicable penal codes (at least the ones given in the thread link provided), there seems to be nothing to suggest that UOC is any more restricted at the state capital than anywhere else. Does anyone know otherwise?

Yes it is. From the previous link comes this from the penal code:

171e. A firearm shall be deemed loaded for the purposes of Sections
171c and 171d whenever both the firearm and unexpended ammunition
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate
possession of the same person.
In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the
purpose of enforcing Section 171c or 171d, peace officers are
authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his person or
in a vehicle while in any place or on the grounds of any place in or
on which the possession of a loaded firearm is prohibited by Section
171c or 171d. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm
pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause
for arrest for violation of Section 171c or 171d.

IMO that means that you can have either the firearm or the ammo on your person, but not both. INAL.

Gundude

imported post

jsebclark wrote:
Publius wrote:

Yes it is. From the previous link comes this from the penal code:

171e. A firearm shall be deemed loaded for the purposes of Sections
171c and 171d whenever both the firearm and unexpended ammunition
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate
possession of the same person.
In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the
purpose of enforcing Section 171c or 171d, peace officers are
authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his person or
in a vehicle while in any place or on the grounds of any place in or
on which the possession of a loaded firearm is prohibited by Section
171c or 171d. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm
pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause
for arrest for violation of Section 171c or 171d.

IMO that means that you can have either the firearm or the ammo on your person, but not both. INAL.

who brings a loaded firearm into, or possesses a loaded firearm
within, the State Capitol, any legislative office, any office of the
Governor or other constitutional officer, or any hearing room in
which any committee of the Senate or Assembly is conducting a
hearing, or upon the grounds of the State Capitol, which is bounded
by 10th, L, 15th, and N Streets in the City of Sacramento,

You can carry without ammo.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Publius wrote:
I recently UOC at a Tea Party in my local area, but wondered of anyone else intended to go to the Apr 15th Ta Party in Sacramento and if anyone else would be UOC.

I ask because after UOC 7 times prior to the Tea Party event I went to without incident, on my 8th time, at the event I had my first encounter with LEO's.

They were respectful but handled things in a way that showed their ignorance on the subject. This hasn't completely discouraged me from OUC at the state capital but it has made me think twice.

Can anyone advise?
You cannot carry any weapon on the Capitol grounds because it is considered a State Park. It is irrelevant as to whether or not your holstered pistol is loaded, weapons are prohibited.

jsebclark

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Publius wrote:

Can anyone advise?
You cannot carry any weapon on the Capitol grounds because it is considered a State Park. It is irrelevant as to whether or not your holstered pistol is loaded, weapons are prohibited.

Thank you ConditionThree for this info.

Here is a link that describes what is allow, or should I say NOT allowed, at the capital and surrounds ground. They obviously list guns, etc.

http://capitolmuseum.ca.gov/detail.aspx?content2=2296&content3=1576

Please get the word out. Again I think it best to empty holster carry.

Publius

imported post

171d whenever both the firearm and unexpended ammunition
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate possession of the same person.

If ammunition is in a magazine on your opposite hip, then the ammunition contained in the magazines are NOT capable of being discharged.

Thank you for this info, I will investigate further.

Publius

imported post

Yeah, end of discussion. The State capital is a state park. I will simply empty holster it.

PS
Either way I was going to bring my Porcupine Gadsden flag, signs, family, and friends.

Thank you all for the help.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Publius wrote:
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate possession of the same person.

If ammunition is in a magazine on your opposite hip, then the ammunition contained in the magazines are NOT capable of being discharged.
Do you have a citation for this claim?

It seems extremely clear and obvious that the legislative intent was to prohibit the carrying of ammunition of a caliber that can be discharged in the firearm you possess. The intent, in short, is to render the firearm nearly useless by precluding the possibility of loading/discharging the firearm. This makes sense in light of the history of the Mulford Act and the Black Panthers protest at the state house.

Publius

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Publius wrote:

Do you have a citation for this claim?

It seems extremely clear and obvious that the legislative intent was to prohibit the carrying of ammunition of a caliber that can be discharged in the firearm you possess. The intent, in short, is to render the firearm nearly useless by precluding the possibility of loading/discharging the firearm. This makes sense in light of the history of the Mulford Act and the Black Panthers protest at the state house.

The following is the wording found in subsection (g) of PC 12031:

(g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of
this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell,
consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or
shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but
not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof
attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be
deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder
charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

We find clarification in People v. Clark (1996) 45 Cal.App.4th 1147 , 53 Cal.Rptr.2d 99:

"...When the police seized the shotgun, it did not have a shell in the firing chamber. There were, however, three shells located in a covered compartment at the rear of the shotgun's stock. It is not possible to fire a shell from that location; a shell would have to be removed from the compartment and placed by hand in the chamber before it could be fired..."

"...to the extent an ambiguity exists between whether the Legislature intended the term "loaded" to be used in its ordinary sense (i.e., a shell placed in a position ready to be fired) or to be used in an unusual sense (i.e., including a shell placed in a storage compartment from which it cannot be fired), we adopt the construction more favorable to Clark, i.e., that the term was intended to be used in its ordinary sense and that the shotgun here was not loaded..."

mjones

imported post

12031 is about having the two items (ammo and gun) 'attached'

171e is about the same two items 'posessed'

Huge difference. 171e is essentially the same as at a gun show, posession of the two items together = bad

Dismissing the State Park issue for a moment, 171e has the same 'loophole' that gunshows do. Two people carry differing calibre handguns while they carry each other's ammo.

markm

imported post

Hey Publius,

Check your personal messages on this blog.

I am going to attend the Sac Tea Party event.

I want to "meet-up" with you, if OK.

And as tothe topic. I think for political reasons and LEO reaons, an empty holster is the way to go. Last year, there were people on the rooftops wearing ninja-swat outfits and glassing the crowd. I assumed they were snipers. You know, us right wing-nuts are dangerous people! Ha-Ha!

markm

Publius

imported post

Absolutely, since learning that the state capital is considered a state park (what a joke) I intend to go with an empty holster, my porcupine Gadsden flag, my family, my friends, and any signs we can through together.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Publius wrote:
What does PC 12031 and Clark have to do with PC 171d?

My mistake, that's what I get for posting when I am so tiered I can barely read.
Don't worry, I've done the same thing. I suffer from chronic back pain (which often leaves me sleep-deprived for days at a time) and also insomnia. When it comes to brain-dead posting, I hold all the records.

:lol: