Thread: possibly moving to UT in a year or so

Post imported post

so i had a question on how OC is in UT. i know that concealment they validate my Missouri ccw license, but how does OC work in UT. is it city by city or is state wide?

Post imported post

Your permit will allow you carry however you please in Utah, nearly everywhere in the State.

Concealed, open, loaded, unloaded, in a car, in a school... the possibilities are endless! :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

ok so i take it that open carry not allowed without a permit? guess i have to look into the ccw rules there to see once my MO CCW license expires if i have to take a Utah conceal class to get my utah ccw etc. hoping i dont have to go threw that again.

Post imported post

In Utah, without a permit, open carry is allowed, it's just that the gun must be two actions from firing. In a semi-auto, that means no round in the chamber. A full magazine is fine. With no round in the chamber, the two actions from firing consist of: 1) chambering a round, and 2) pulling the trigger. With those conditions, you're good to go.

State Researcher

Post imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
    ok so i take it that open carry not allowed without a permit? guess i have to look into the ccw rules there to see once my MO CCW license expires if i have to take a Utah conceal class to get my utah ccw etc. hoping i dont have to go threw that again.
    You will need to take a Utah class in order to get a Utah permit. Generally only takes about 4 hours and $50 to $100. Well worth it as the Utah permit is so widely accepted (~32 States now). It will also cover the particulars of Utah law which is good to know.

Open carry of a "Utah unloaded" gun is legal outside of school zones without a permit. "Utah unloaded" means for a semi-auto, no round in the chamber but a full magazine in the gun is ok.

With a permit you can OC, fully loaded, including in school zones. Or concealed carry, or casually conceal. Loaded or not loaded. Your choice.

I am not a lawyer, etc, etc, etc.

All the best.

Charles

All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.