• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

possibly moving to UT in a year or so

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Your permit will allow you carry however you please in Utah, nearly everywhere in the State.

Concealed, open, loaded, unloaded, in a car, in a school... the possibilities are endless! :p

goalseter88

imported post

ok so i take it that open carry not allowed without a permit? guess i have to look into the ccw rules there to see once my MO CCW license expires if i have to take a Utah conceal class to get my utah ccw etc. hoping i dont have to go threw that again.

colormered

imported post

In Utah, without a permit, open carry is allowed, it's just that the gun must be two actions from firing. In a semi-auto, that means no round in the chamber. A full magazine is fine. With no round in the chamber, the two actions from firing consist of: 1) chambering a round, and 2) pulling the trigger. With those conditions, you're good to go.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
ok so i take it that open carry not allowed without a permit? guess i have to look into the ccw rules there to see once my MO CCW license expires if i have to take a Utah conceal class to get my utah ccw etc. hoping i dont have to go threw that again.

You will need to take a Utah class in order to get a Utah permit. Generally only takes about 4 hours and $50 to $100. Well worth it as the Utah permit is so widely accepted (~32 States now). It will also cover the particulars of Utah law which is good to know.

Open carry of a "Utah unloaded" gun is legal outside of school zones without a permit. "Utah unloaded" means for a semi-auto, no round in the chamber but a full magazine in the gun is ok.

With a permit you can OC, fully loaded, including in school zones. Or concealed carry, or casually conceal. Loaded or not loaded. Your choice.

I am not a lawyer, etc, etc, etc.

All the best.

Charles