• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother of All Open Carry Events

propertymanager

imported post

The mother of all open carry events occurred today at the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus. Officially, it was the Ohio Second Amendment March, which was occurring as a lead up to the National Second Amendment March on April 19th. However, it turned out to be an inadvertenthuge open carry event, with probably 350 - 400 law-abiding citizens open carrying everything from handguns to AK47's! All went well, but the "security" undertaken by the state was a little ridiculous, with 4 horse-mounted cops; highway patrol, and numerous police officers in attendance.

Anyway, it was an EXCELLENT event withmany of Ohio's EXCELLENT 2A Friendly Politicans speaking. In addition, Nikki Goeser told her dramatic story (her husband was killed by a stalker while they were in a restaurant that served alcohol, before concealed carry was allowed in such establishments in TN). She will be speaking at the National Second Amendment March in Washington D.C. on the 19th. I'll be attending that event also and encourage you all to do the same!!!

I'll post some links to the event if I can find some!

Brian D.

imported post

Wish you would have intro'd yourself to me, I'd have gladly given you a 'Hello My Name Is...' sticker to wear. Was sporting four of 'em myself, plus my best cowboy hat--and a pair of Browning Hi Powers.

But honestly I thought the attendance was rather poor for a statewide event. If that's a 1/50th scale version of the Washington D.C. event on April 19th, it will...well, suck.

Btw, much of the police coverage you saw therein Columbuswas paid for by OFCC (and perhaps BFA), not voluntarily. Unbeknownst ahead of time by these organizations, firearms carry on the Statehouse grounds had (unlawfully) been made illegal at some point. So special permission had to be granted, liabilty insurance polcy purchased, and special duty police to the tune of $1,000 or so had to be paid for.

What was that saying again about freedom NOT being free?

propertymanager

imported post

Hi Brian,

Maybe I'll see you in Washington D.C.! As for the attendance, I thought it was pretty good for a first time event. After only seeing about 60 people on OFCC's website say that they were going, I was afraid that the attendance might only be about 100 people (or even less). I'm not sure how many people really knew about the event or how many know about the one in Washington D.C. next week. Since OFCC hasn't gotten the 2 busses from Ohio filled up yet, I'm really not looking for a big crowd at the National Second Amendment march. In fact, if it is 50 times bigger than the Ohio march, I think that will be a HUGE success!

Even more than the number of people at the Ohio March, I was very impressed at the number of people open carrying. It looked to me like the vast majority of the people there were open carrying - I was.