• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Porkies

Nimmer

imported post

I am thinking about a backpacking/camping trip in the Porkies for like 3 days this summer. Is it ok to open carry in the park?

Thanks

Nimmer

Leader

imported post

Interesting question... Yes open carry is legal in the Porkies.

But knowing the tendency for people here to dig into technicalities. I know putting a gun in a backpack is concealed but what about at night when you take it into a tent?

How does the law see a tent? Is it like a house or like a jacket? Why isn't a backpack like the trunk on a car?

Nimmer

imported post

So it would be a good idea to call ahead to see what the parameters actually are in the Porkies.I have been there before in the winter doing National Ski Patrol but never carried while working there in the winter.I know a few people involved with the park and think I will call.

I would open carry a side arm only but those DNR statutes are interesting and also the aspect of having the sidearm in the tents gives cause for concern. I appreciate the input and would like more though.

No I dont have a CPL as I am from Wisconsin

Thanks

Nimmer

autosurgeon

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Nimmer wrote:
So it would be a good idea to call ahead to see what the parameters actually are in the Porkies.I have been there before in the winter doing National Ski Patrol but never carried while working there in the winter.I know a few people involved with the park and think I will call.

I would open carry a side arm only but those DNR statutes are interesting and also the aspect of having the sidearm in the tents gives cause for concern. I appreciate the input and would like more though.

Thanks

Nimmer

So you are not a Michigan resident? Since Wisconson denies the "right" to get a CPL (or whatever your state might/would call it), then you cannot carry in Michigan.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
If he had a CPL from another state while he would not be able to CC he would be able to OC. Legally.

Nimmer

imported post

Well that makes my day wtf. I am going to call my cousin as he is a retired MI state trooper and see what he says.I have opened carried in the U.P. before I guess I am a criminal:shock:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Nimmer wrote:

Thanks

Nimmer

So you are not a Michigan resident? Since Wisconson denies the "right" to get a CPL (or whatever your state might/would call it), then you cannot carry in Michigan.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
If he had a CPL from another state while he would not be able to CC he would be able to OC. Legally.

Unfortunately, I don't think this still applies.

Before, a validargument could be made due to the Rules of Statutory Construction where: Per 28.432

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

Rules of Statutory Construction came into play because an amendment to 28.422 was effective one day before an amendment to 28.432.

Recently, there was an amendment to 28.422 (Public Act 20) that was immediately effective March 25, 2010.

Public Act 20 of 2010 – Personal Protect Orders, Effective March 25, 2010
HB 4221 (Ebli) Civil procedure; personal protection orders; reference to personal protection order section of the revised judicature act in the concealed weapons act; revise to reflect renumbering of subsections. Amends sec. 2 of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422).

IANAL and now non-residents of Michigan who are not 28.422, Subsection (8) compliant will not be able to possess a pistol in Michigan. This means those who do not have a license/permit from their state of residence or a registered pistol.

ETA: In My Opinion

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Nimmer wrote:
Well that makes my day wtf. I am going to call my cousin as he is a retired MI state trooper and see what he says.I have opened carried in the U.P. before I guess I am a criminal:shock:

If you have a license (registration) for your handgun, or you have a CPL from any state you can possess a handgun in Michigan. But Wisconsin doesn't have handgun registration nor do they have CPLs so unless you have a CPL from another state you are breaking MI law if you possess a handgun in our state.

This needs to be challenged as unconstitutional, but as of yet no one has.

You can ask your retired MSP friend, but I bet he isn't aware of the current changes in the laws. I may be wrong, but many LEO's are unaware of some aspect of firearm laws.

lil_freak_66

imported post

long arm carry(remember it has to be over 30 inches long to be a long arm in this state,rather than the federal standard of 26)

might not be the smartest thing to do in town(though legal),in the woods would be fine.but in the UP your probably more likely to get hassled by a bear than a yooper anyways,i know ive at least had more negative encounters with bears than yoopers.

SIGfreed

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
long arm carry(remember it has to be over 30 inches long to be a long arm in this state,rather than the federal standard of 26)

might not be the smartest thing to do in town(though legal),in the woods would be fine.but in the UP your probably more likely to get hassled by a bear than a yooper anyways,i know ive at least had more negative encounters with bears than yoopers.
So what kind of holster do you use to long arm carry? If it is in a case it would be concealed, if in nothing it would be brandishing.

autosurgeon

imported post

SIGfreed wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

So what kind of holster do you use to long arm carry? If it is in a case it would be concealed, if in nothing it would be brandishing.
How is a slung firearm brandishing?

If you are basing that on the AG opinion on holstered pistol carry you need to understand that all that does is define holstered pistol carry as NOT brandishing. It says nothing about slung longarm carry.

It also quotes the dictionary definition as there is no definition in the law and no court definition.

1. To wave or flourish (a weapon, for example) menacingly.2. To display ostentatiously. See Synonyms at flourish.n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish.

A slung longarm in no way meets the above definition as if it did no hunter would be able to carry a rifle in the field. I would also contend that a long arm carried in the hands barrel pointed down is not being brandished either.