• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Porkies

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
long arm carry(remember it has to be over 30 inches long to be a long arm in this state,rather than the federal standard of 26)

might not be the smartest thing to do in town(though legal),in the woods would be fine.but in the UP your probably more likely to get hassled by a bear than a yooper anyways,i know ive at least had more negative encounters with bears than yoopers.
Not the Yoopers or the bears in the Porkies, it's the camera-toting-yuppie-libs that will try to give you guff.springerdave.

chevytaHOE5674

imported post

I go to the porkies a few times a year (inlaws live 6 miles down the road) and have never been questioned about any form of carry. Heck often times don't see anybody who would question you, unless you go to the big tourist spots (lake of the clouds, Union bay, Union mine trail, Presque Isle etc)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Brian, did you see my post above yours?
What about PPOs? Not seeing where this comes into play for non-residents and handgun possession unless they have a PPO on them.
That was only part of HB 4221. The revision (amendment) to 28.422 was the "renumbering" of the subsections and the effective date was March 25, 2010, same as the effective date for PPO"s under HB 4221.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
What about PPOs? Not seeing where this comes into play for non-residents and handgun possession unless they have a PPO on them.
That was only part of HB 4221. The revision (amendment) to 28.422 was the "renumbering" of the subsections and the effective date was March 25, 2010, same as the effective date for PPO"s under HB 4221.
Still, the old statute is in play until the new one kicks in. And it only addresses PPOs as a disqualifier. No changes to non-residents.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
That was only part of HB 4221. The revision (amendment) to 28.422 was the "renumbering" of the subsections and the effective date was March 25, 2010, same as the effective date for PPO"s under HB 4221 (HB 4222).
Still, the old statute is in play until the new one kicks in. And it only addresses PPOs as a disqualifier. No changes to non-residents.
I just looked over what I posted and noticed a typo. The last HB 4221 in my post should be HB 4222. It's one of those deals where, in this case,both HB 4221 & HB 4222 must pass for both to become law. If there's time tomorrow at Lansing I'll talk to you about this.

Nimmer

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If I was a Wisconsin resident visiting a Michigan forest, I'd carry a 30" plus shotgun. :?

Then I would have to buy a hunting license wouldnt I?

I think that I will maybe just CC and be done with it.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Thats what "they" want. Just make things inconvenient, convoluted, and complicated, so that the gun owners all just say fck it, and we and our guns will go away.

Dont keep your rights in your pocket, thats where your "change" goes.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Nimmer wrote:
Michigander wrote:
If I was a Wisconsin resident visiting a Michigan forest, I'd carry a 30" plus shotgun. :?

Then I would have to buy a hunting license wouldnt I?

I think that I will maybe just CC and be done with it.

hunting permit?i dont think so,but am not sure.

if you dont need one(im sure somebodymore educated on thiswill chime in soon)just be sure to not wear any camo or hunters orange,and to dothings that would make it obvious your not a poacher.

Yooper

imported post

Here's straight from the DNRE's hunting guide:

License Requirement - Possession of Firearms and Bows and Arrows
A person taking or attempting to take game and in possession of a firearm, slingshot or bow and arrow must have the appropriate hunting license with them and the identification used to purchase that license and exhibit both upon demand of a Michigan Conservation Officer, a Tribal Conservation Officer or any other law enforcement officer.
A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable, artificially constructed target, and there is no attempt to take game. A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper, hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game."

That covers pistols, but doesn't mention anything about rifles/shotguns as being allowed to be carried for personal protection. Have we determined 100% that a person from a non-issue state, or a very restrictive state can OC with a CPL/CCW license from another state?

Nimmer

imported post

Well after some hiking trail research I decided to do a trip in Wisconsin for two reasons.

#1 - Because I am a Wisconsin resident I will be legal carrying while hiking in Wisconsin although I dont think I will be hasseled in the Porkies and may do a trip in the future there.

#2 - I will save some gas money as the trip will be cut in half. The other thing is I am recovering from a leg injury and will not be covering alot of ground each day.I just am looking for some peace and quiet.

It sucks that law abiding Americans have to worry about exercising their 2nd amendment rights for a simple hiking trip.