• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW experation

Chrisc411

imported post

I've been doing a little research about the CCW validity lengths and how they differ from state to state, How I.E. a California issued permit expires after 2 years and an Utah permit is 5 years, and hopefully once we get incorporation and all states would have to honor other states permits. Would it not be a better idea to get a permit that lasts longer rather than a 2yr permit? Or is there a PC that regulates how long you can use another states permit in ca?

mjones

imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
I've been doing a little research about the CCW validity lengths and how they differ from state to state, How I.E. a California issued permit expires after 2 years and an Utah permit is 5 years, and hopefully once we get incorporation and all states would have to honor other states permits. Would it not be a better idea to get a permit that lasts longer rather than a 2yr permit? Or is there a PC that regulates how long you can use another states permit in ca?
CA does not recognize any CCWlicense other then its own.

Chrisc411

imported post

mjones wrote:
Chrisc411 wrote:
Hench why i said once we get incorporation, California would have to honor other states permits ^ kinda helps to read what i asked

markm

imported post

ChrisC411 wrote,

"Hench why i said once we get incorporation, California would have to honor other states permits ^ kinda helps to read what i asked"

McDonald is a narrow case along the lines of Heller. Incorporation on this narrow issue will create case-law that abolishes a perceived right of states to abolish the possession of hanguns in homes for self defense.

That is all McDonald is about--isn't it?

markm

dirtykoala

imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Chrisc411 wrote:
CA does not recognize any CCW license other then its own.
Hench why i said once we get incorporation, California would have to honor other states permits ^ kinda helps to read what i asked

ooo, sassy! Your question won't make much sense until after incorporation. I'm not aware of a PC that regulates how long another states ccw is valid in CA, but that's probably because other states ccws aren't valid in CA. But I guess if one had to answer your question, sure, it might make more sense to get a ccw from _____ state that last longer if ca has to recognize it. Or maybe post incorp CA will issue never expiring ccws. So your hypothetical question doesn't have much to do with anything right now, IMHO. Kind of like asking "hey, wouldn't it make sense to use the bullet train instead of flying from sf to la?" we don't know, it hasn't happened.

Chrisc411

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Chrisc411 wrote:
mjones wrote:
Chrisc411 wrote:

ooo, sassy! Your question won't make much sense until after incorporation. I'm not aware of a PC that regulates how long another states ccw is valid in CA, but that's probably because other states ccws aren't valid in CA. But I guess if one had to answer your question, sure, it might make more sense to get a ccw from _____ state that last longer if ca has to recognize it. Or maybe post incorp CA will issue never expiring ccws. So your hypothetical question doesn't have much to do with anything right now, IMHO. Kind of like asking "hey, wouldn't it make sense to use the bullet train instead of flying from sf to la?" we don't know, it hasn't happened.
I always love when you chime in koala :D thank you for clarifying my own stupidity in the English language, you know in HS i really hated that class. I wasn't really quite sure if my question across while still making sense i guess it would make more sense after, but now I'm curious if there is a PC in other states about it or not...and yes i should have worded my title a bit better i was on my way out the door to work at the time and didn't want to forget the thought so sorry on the confusion about it. And yes it would make sense to take the bullet train if your afraid of flying :uhoh:

mjones

imported post

If there is ever any sort of fed forced reciprocity (which I highly doubt will ever happen...it never happened for drivers licenses...) I would lay money that resident of State X would be required to have a State X permit to carry in their state of residence.

This is how most state to state reciprocity agreements work.