Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 179

Thread: Drew my XD tonight

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid **** like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number.

    im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

  2. #2
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    you never know when, you never know where, but the potential for danger is always there!

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    kchau wrote:
    im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy.
    me too. from your story, it sounds like you engaged them. You entered conversation, you went back.. all in the book of "No's" of self defense.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    Ed,

    There's numerous ambiguities in the account, but I think by "heading back" the OP mean "leave and go home". If so, that certainly lessens the amount of engagement (though still leaves plenty to be concerned about.)

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    kparker wrote:
    "heading back" the OP mean "leave and go home".
    Agreed.. I thought heading back .. meant he was gonna head back and become LEOlike to keep the peace
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

    In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

    If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

    In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

    If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.
    i see where you are coming from, but i feel there are a lot of what ifs here. who knows what he would have done even if i locked my doors and rolled my windows up, the guy was infuriated, i tried to play it cool until he started moving towards us, and when he pulled out a knife it was my natural instinct to draw, for all i know he could have just went haywire from there, and when hes that close my personal risk of injury goes up.

    im not trying to defend my situation, but it is good to debate about this so i can learn the better choice for if theres a next time.

  9. #9
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    kchau wrote:
    So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid @#$% like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number. im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

    kchau wrote:
    nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.
    Your story is changing!
    First story is stating this occurred in the parking lot while in your car and you thought you saw a knife being drawn and now you were inside when he drew a knife.

    If this was investigated your statements would surely damn you.


    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    kchau wrote:
    So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid @#$% like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number. im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

    kchau wrote:
    nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.
    Your story is changing!
    First story is stating this occurred in the parking lot while in your car and you thought you saw a knife being drawn and now you were inside when he drew a knife.

    If this was investigated your statements would surely damn you.

    the story is the same, let me clarify.

    the whole time we were in the car.
    i told my friend, oh shes driving her own car
    so we decide to leave, as i put my seatbelt on and start up the car,
    the guy hears what i say, and starts beef with us,

    continue with rest of story. i think there is just some confusion with my statements here. i think you took "getting ready to leave" as getting ready to leave the place, what i meant was getting ready to go home/leave the parking lot.

    the reason why i stayed was because leaving would only close the distance. if he decided to vandalize my car im not sure what i would have done

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    kchau wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    kchau wrote:
    So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid @#$% like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number. im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

    kchau wrote:
    nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.
    Your story is changing!
    First story is stating this occurred in the parking lot while in your car and you thought you saw a knife being drawn and now you were inside when he drew a knife.

    If this was investigated your statements would surely damn you.

    the story is the same, let me clarify.

    the whole time we were in the car.
    i told my friend, oh shes driving her own car
    so we decide to leave, as i put my seatbelt on and start up the car,
    the guy hears what i say, and starts beef with us,

    continue with rest of story. i think there is just some confusion with my statements here. i think you took "getting ready to leave" as getting ready to leave the place, what i meant was getting ready to go home/leave the parking lot.

    the reason why i stayed was because leaving would only close the distance. if he decided to vandalize my car im not sure what i would have done
    Maybe call the police...
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    So as what I understand here is that there was a problem inside which a couple and you were not engaged at this time but departed to the parking lot to leave.
    Where you observed the couple to continue to argue and you made a comment which he heard and he turned his attention toward you in your vehicle.
    Upon approaching you thought you saw and then you saw a knife being drawn from some where on his body and you could not leave as backing up would have put you closer to him and you were concerned about damage to your vehicle.

    Now he continues to make threats of some type with a knife in his hand that you may or may not have seen and you draw your weapon to defend yourself, where was he standing or approaching from? According to the posting he would of had to approach from the rear of your vehicle from one row away.
    I know it has to be difficult to view someone in review mirrors and to be able to draw a weapon and draw down on someone approaching from the rear while being seated in a vehicle and this would have had to occur with in just a few feet.

    In light of this rolling up your windows and locking your doors should have been your first step, once it was noticed he drew a weapon backing out and creating distance would have been the second step, if the young woman was in immediate threat the position yourself to be successful.

    About the car being damaged, at least it would not have been you or unnecessary taken a life.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    close, let me draw a diagram of the parking lot and i'll get back to you.

    horrible drawing, but we were blocked in and couldnt drive straight forward through the stall.



  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

    In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

    If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.
    Ask any cop.

    Your car is your coffin. You do not want to be stuck there if something goes down.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

    In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

    If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.
    Ask any cop.

    Your car is your coffin. You do not want to be stuck there if something goes down.
    BigDave has "professional training" though, and is obviously smarter, better, and more well equipped than anyone else to handle a situation. :quirky
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  16. #16
    Regular Member Stretch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pasco, WA, ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    Despite all the armchair QB'ing in this thread, I am glad that it ended with no shots fired, no life lost.

    Maybe it could have been handled differently, but WE were not there.

  17. #17
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    kchau wrote:
    close, let me draw a diagram of the parking lot and i'll get back to you.

    horrible drawing, but we were blocked in and couldnt drive straight forward through the stall.

    I did view the parking spots as being straight in instead of angled as shown and with this in mind backing out and leaving the parking lot in reverse was a viable option.

    Zigziggityzoo while a car can be your coffin it can also save you by creating distance running someone over and offering some cover.
    I however agree I do not want to be sitting still in a car in a gun fight, it had better be moving or me moving out of it.

    If threatened with a knife a locked door and window up offers good protection as I see it one should be moving if attacked or if the the perp was pounding at the window to break it, one had better be ready with their weapon.

    This all comes down to Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy as seen through the eyes of a prudent reasonable man.
    One must be able to articulate with facts.

    If you did see a knife and he approached you in a threatening manner and statements then you would be with in the law to draw your weapon to defend yourself or another.
    Deescalation is another option so one will not have to possibly take a life and have to deal with the aftermath be it mental, physical, financial or legally in criminal or civil.

    This is a good exercise in how what we say can be seen by others, and anytime we try and convince others of what we did was correct the story may well change and bring a great deal of doubt into the honesty of it.
    When reporting this type of incident one must take time and be concise in what they say as to why they did what they did and when they did.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  18. #18
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    Tawnos wrote:
    BigDave has "professional training" though, and is obviously smarter, better, and more well equipped than anyone else to handle a situation. :quirky
    Come on Tawnos where is your view on this?
    Do you really have something to add to the conversation or just immature comments?

    Back to Adult Conversations Now
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    It sounds like you did everything you felt you should do. It makes sense that you sat there keeping an eye out on a man that is yelling at a woman. He was obviously acting in an aggressive manner that would cause a person to draw attention and wonder if the woman is ok. "Rolling up the windows" might have been a good idea but I don't know if you have manual or electric windows? Also, if the man did have a knife and was under the influence and depending on his size he could have busted out your window and drug you out of the car. If the knife was a full tang with a metal end he could have easily busted your side window. So many variables--all I can say is good job:what::celebrate

    Personally I would have immidiately called the police but I wasn't there and have no idea what the time frame was from when you entered your vehicle, the man made contact with you, etc.

    When you post a scenerio on here like this it makes sense that people are going to offer where they felt you might have went wrong or what they would have done...all of those thingsare our abstract view since we weren't there.

    Obviously you were dealing with a POS but you weren't dealing with an idiot since he backed off when you told him he better not come any closer--some people aren't so smart.


    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  20. #20
    Regular Member Squeak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard,
    Posts
    827

    Post imported post

    If you were in your car, why not just leave?:?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    53

    Post imported post

    Squeak wrote:
    If you were in your car, why not just leave?:?
    would have gotten me closer to the idiot. of course i didnt think of backing up and out at the time.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    Squeak wrote:
    If you were in your car, why not just leave?:?
    Read above...it was a bit more complicated than that.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Squeak wrote:
    If you were in your car, why not just leave?:?

  24. #24
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    866

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    Zigziggityzoo while a car can be your coffin it can also save you by creating distance running someone over and offering some cover.
    I however agree I do not want to be sitting still in a car in a gun fight, it had better be moving or me moving out of it.

    If threatened with a knife a locked door and window up offers good protection as I see it one should be moving if attacked or if the the perp was pounding at the window to break it, one had better be ready with their weapon.
    If somebody draws a knife and I am in my car, the last thing I would do would roll up the windows and lock the doors. I carry a knife, and a gun. How many of you carry a knife as well.

    If he pulls a knife, then I am safe to assume he has the potential, as well as the desire to use it against me. Since we are all knife weilding people as well, there is a possibility that he may also be armed...

    I am putting the vehicle in reverse and getting the hell out of there. If fleeing is not an option, then stepping out of my vehicle (while remaining covered) and drawing with a stern warning to cease and desist is my choice of action. All the while, my friend would be on the phone to 911.


    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  25. #25
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    I carry a knife as well. If someone is approaching my car with a knife I would not try to get the truck started and in reverse...I would draw my firearm. It would take much longer to get the truck started and driving away--more than enough time for the POS to stab me to death.

    Tkae for instance the guy is 15 feet away....you are toast if you try to start your car and back out of the stall.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •