• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew my XD tonight

kchau

imported post

So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid shit like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number.

im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

M

McX

imported post

you never know when, you never know where, but the potential for danger is always there!

kparker

imported post

Ed,

There's numerous ambiguities in the account, but I think by "heading back" the OP mean "leave and go home". If so, that certainly lessens the amount of engagement (though still leaves plenty to be concerned about.)

kchau

imported post

nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.

kchau

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Another view point on this, you were in your car, window open, you could have easily rolled up the window and locked the door stopping an immediate threat with out a display of deadly force.

In another thread it was recently being discussed about ego's and lesson learned, this appears to be one of those occasions where one could deescalate the situation and yet maintained reasonable presences to ensure the young ladies safety.

If the situation was lets say, warranted alarm for the safety of the young lady then you would not have been in your car watching.
i see where you are coming from, but i feel there are a lot of what ifs here. who knows what he would have done even if i locked my doors and rolled my windows up, the guy was infuriated, i tried to play it cool until he started moving towards us, and when he pulled out a knife it was my natural instinct to draw, for all i know he could have just went haywire from there, and when hes that close my personal risk of injury goes up.

im not trying to defend my situation, but it is good to debate about this so i can learn the better choice for if theres a next time.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

kchau wrote:
So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid @#$% like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number. im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

kchau wrote:
nono, we were getting ready to leave, and then the guy just started beef with us, i told him to chill out, and he just started moving towards us, and pulled a knife out of somewhere. what am i supposed to do? the only way i can leave is by backing out, and that gets us towards more towards him, who knows what he was capable of doing or what else he had on him.
Your story is changing!
First story is stating this occurred in the parking lot while in your car and you thought you saw a knife being drawn and now you were inside when he drew a knife.

If this was investigated your statements would surely damn you.

kchau

imported post

BigDave wrote:
kchau wrote:
So leaving joeys southcenter, i didnt have my XD on me as only the bar was open, a friend and i (who also carries, both of us have cpl's) got nachos as a late night snack (best nachos that ive ever had for that matter). so as we are leaving this one guido looking guy is going off on the girl with him, and i told my friend (who was having a smoke) we should start heading back, this could get ugly. so we slowly work our way back, making sure no one got hurt back there. they start heading back as well, and when we got in the car, i told him to grab my extended mag out of the glovebox, and i loaded my xd. and as we are observing, i had my windows down (the guy going off on the girl, they parked one row over) i told my friend, "oh they drove separate cars", and the guy apparently hears us and says, "whatchu say?" acting like he was a badass. so i said, "chill out, no one said anything". we start leaving and hes just yelling expletives and screaming out empty threats, all the while moving towards my car. so not knowing how drunk he was (you have to be pretty drunk to do stupid @#$% like this), i told him "back off", and he keeps moving towards our car, continuing to make random threats, at this point he seemed pretty heated, and i think i saw him pull out a knife, so i drew my xd from the console (kept it there in case something like this happened), i told him "you move one step closer and you wont see the light of day tomorrow", at this point i think everything clicked, and he just shut the hell up and just started backing away. called 911 to report what happened and gave them their license plate number. im glad i didnt have to shoot the guy. im also glad the guy came to his senses and didnt hurt the girl.

kchau wrote:
Your story is changing!
First story is stating this occurred in the parking lot while in your car and you thought you saw a knife being drawn and now you were inside when he drew a knife.

the story is the same, let me clarify.

the whole time we were in the car.
i told my friend, oh shes driving her own car
so we decide to leave, as i put my seatbelt on and start up the car,
the guy hears what i say, and starts beef with us,

continue with rest of story. i think there is just some confusion with my statements here. i think you took "getting ready to leave" as getting ready to leave the place, what i meant was getting ready to go home/leave the parking lot.

the reason why i stayed was because leaving would only close the distance. if he decided to vandalize my car im not sure what i would have done

amzbrady

imported post

kchau wrote:
BigDave wrote:
kchau wrote:

kchau wrote:
Your story is changing!

the story is the same, let me clarify.

the whole time we were in the car.
i told my friend, oh shes driving her own car
so we decide to leave, as i put my seatbelt on and start up the car,
the guy hears what i say, and starts beef with us,

continue with rest of story. i think there is just some confusion with my statements here. i think you took "getting ready to leave" as getting ready to leave the place, what i meant was getting ready to go home/leave the parking lot.

the reason why i stayed was because leaving would only close the distance. if he decided to vandalize my car im not sure what i would have done
Maybe call the police...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

So as what I understand here is that there was a problem inside which a couple and you were not engaged at this time but departed to the parking lot to leave.
Where you observed the couple to continue to argue and you made a comment which he heard and he turned his attention toward you in your vehicle.
Upon approaching you thought you saw and then you saw a knife being drawn from some where on his body and you could not leave as backing up would have put you closer to him and you were concerned about damage to your vehicle.

Now he continues to make threats of some type with a knife in his hand that you may or may not have seen and you draw your weapon to defend yourself, where was he standing or approaching from? According to the posting he would of had to approach from the rear of your vehicle from one row away.
I know it has to be difficult to view someone in review mirrors and to be able to draw a weapon and draw down on someone approaching from the rear while being seated in a vehicle and this would have had to occur with in just a few feet.

In light of this rolling up your windows and locking your doors should have been your first step, once it was noticed he drew a weapon backing out and creating distance would have been the second step, if the young woman was in immediate threat the position yourself to be successful.

About the car being damaged, at least it would not have been you or unnecessary taken a life.

kchau

imported post

close, let me draw a diagram of the parking lot and i'll get back to you.

horrible drawing, but we were blocked in and couldnt drive straight forward through the stall.

11w4h1z.jpg

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDave wrote:

Ask any cop.

Your car is your coffin. You do not want to be stuck there if something goes down.

Tawnos

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Ask any cop.

Your car is your coffin. You do not want to be stuck there if something goes down.
BigDave has "professional training" though, and is obviously smarter, better, and more well equipped than anyone else to handle a situation. :quirky

Stretch

imported post

Despite all the armchair QB'ing in this thread, I am glad that it ended with no shots fired, no life lost.

Maybe it could have been handled differently, but WE were not there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

kchau wrote:
close, let me draw a diagram of the parking lot and i'll get back to you.

horrible drawing, but we were blocked in and couldnt drive straight forward through the stall.

11w4h1z.jpg
I did view the parking spots as being straight in instead of angled as shown and with this in mind backing out and leaving the parking lot in reverse was a viable option.

Zigziggityzoo while a car can be your coffin it can also save you by creating distance running someone over and offering some cover.
I however agree I do not want to be sitting still in a car in a gun fight, it had better be moving or me moving out of it.

If threatened with a knife a locked door and window up offers good protection as I see it one should be moving if attacked or if the the perp was pounding at the window to break it, one had better be ready with their weapon.

This all comes down to Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy as seen through the eyes of a prudent reasonable man.
One must be able to articulate with facts.

If you did see a knife and he approached you in a threatening manner and statements then you would be with in the law to draw your weapon to defend yourself or another.
Deescalation is another option so one will not have to possibly take a life and have to deal with the aftermath be it mental, physical, financial or legally in criminal or civil.

This is a good exercise in how what we say can be seen by others, and anytime we try and convince others of what we did was correct the story may well change and bring a great deal of doubt into the honesty of it.
When reporting this type of incident one must take time and be concise in what they say as to why they did what they did and when they did.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Tawnos wrote:
BigDave has "professional training" though, and is obviously smarter, better, and more well equipped than anyone else to handle a situation. :quirky
Come on Tawnos where is your view on this?
Do you really have something to add to the conversation or just immature comments?

Back to Adult Conversations :) Now

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

It sounds like you did everything you felt you should do. It makes sense that you sat there keeping an eye out on a man that is yelling at a woman. He was obviously acting in an aggressive manner that would cause a person to draw attention and wonder if the woman is ok. "Rolling up the windows" might have been a good idea but I don't know if you have manual or electric windows? Also, if the man did have a knife and was under the influence and depending on his size he could have busted out your window and drug you out of the car. If the knife was a full tang with a metal end he could have easily busted your side window. So many variables--all I can say is good job:D:what::celebrate

Personally I would have immidiately called the police but I wasn't there and have no idea what the time frame was from when you entered your vehicle, the man made contact with you, etc.

When you post a scenerio on here like this it makes sense that people are going to offer where they felt you might have went wrong or what they would have done...all of those thingsare our abstract view since we weren't there.

Obviously you were dealing with a POS:cuss: but you weren't dealing with an idiot:idea: since he backed off when you told him he better not come any closer--some people aren't so smart.