• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew my XD tonight

massivedesign

imported post

BigDave wrote:

Zigziggityzoo while a car can be your coffin it can also save you by creating distance running someone over and offering some cover.
I however agree I do not want to be sitting still in a car in a gun fight, it had better be moving or me moving out of it.

If threatened with a knife a locked door and window up offers good protection as I see it one should be moving if attacked or if the the perp was pounding at the window to break it, one had better be ready with their weapon.
If somebody draws a knife and I am in my car, the last thing I would do would roll up the windows and lock the doors. I carry a knife, and a gun. How many of you carry a knife as well.

If he pulls a knife, then I am safe to assume he has the potential, as well as the desire to use it against me. Since we are all knife weilding people as well, there is a possibility that he may also be armed...

I am putting the vehicle in reverse and getting the hell out of there. If fleeing is not an option, then stepping out of my vehicle (while remaining covered) and drawing with a stern warning to cease and desist is my choice of action. All the while, my friend would be on the phone to 911.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I carry a knife as well. If someone is approaching my car with a knife I would not try to get the truck started and in reverse...I would draw my firearm. It would take much longer to get the truck started and driving away--more than enough time for the POS to stab me to death.

Tkae for instance the guy is 15 feet away....you are toast if you try to start your car and back out of the stall.

amzbrady

imported post

BigDave wrote:
kchau wrote:
close, let me draw a diagram of the parking lot and i'll get back to you.

horrible drawing, but we were blocked in and couldnt drive straight forward through the stall.

11w4h1z.jpg
I did view the parking spots as being straight in instead of angled as shown and with this in mind backing out and leaving the parking lot in reverse was a viable option.

Zigziggityzoo while a car can be your coffin it can also save you by creating distance running someone over and offering some cover.
I however agree I do not want to be sitting still in a car in a gun fight, it had better be moving or me moving out of it.

If threatened with a knife a locked door and window up offers good protection as I see it one should be moving if attacked or if the the perp was pounding at the window to break it, one had better be ready with their weapon.

This all comes down to Ability Opportunity and Jeopardy as seen through the eyes of a prudent reasonable man.
One must be able to articulate with facts.

If you did see a knife and he approached you in a threatening manner and statements then you would be with in the law to draw your weapon to defend yourself or another.
Deescalation is another option so one will not have to possibly take a life and have to deal with the aftermath be it mental, physical, financial or legally in criminal or civil.

This is a good exercise in how what we say can be seen by others, and anytime we try and convince others of what we did was correct the story may well change and bring a great deal of doubt into the honesty of it.
When reporting this type of incident one must take time and be concise in what they say as to why they did what they did and when they did.
Is everyone there have hover crafts, or flying saucers?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

kchau wrote:
Squeak wrote:
If you were in your car, why not just leave?:?
would have gotten me closer to the idiot. of course i didnt think of backing up and out at the time.
If you had your door locked and window rolled up, so what you got closer as you quickly backed out of danger.

Isn't this why we discuss some of these incidents unless we have experience in them then we try and draw from our memories and knowledge on how to respond.
This process sometimes will get us in more trouble as we have not approached this incident and thus we do not have informed position.

So now we have different responses and why we would choose this or that depending on the situation and if their is a next time we have information to draw from for possibly a better out come.

Kchau were you thinking about, you could have shot and killed him in self defense and then what you will be facing in the aftermath, probably not.
This is not necessarily a bad thing although note you did not want your car harmed, this has been burned into our minds as to cost of repair and for several many have a close attachment to their cars from harm over the conflict escalation, maybe next time you choose your safety over the cosmetics of your car?
Why do I feel this is the case as with many situations we have not processed what we will do or not do.

As we gain knowledge we see how our actions will affect our future and make a better choice for us next time.

Example how many times have you seen an incident and am unable to describe a person/s a car and so on, yet the vast majority of us carry a cell phone with a camera in it, how long does it take to snap a picture and how often do we do just that?
It has happened to me and I go off kicking myself for not thinking of it. It is because this was not part of my resolution of dealing with a problem, now it is.

Now personally if I was in your place and felt the young lady was in danger I would have called 911 and stood outside my vehicle armed, gave short and clear commands as "Miss Are You Okay", "Step Away From Here", "I Am Calling 911", "Police Are On Their Way" and if approached in a threatening manner with a knife I would have drawn and put a stop to it be it he disarmed or if he continued well you would read about it in the papers.

If I felt she was not in immediate threat I would have rolled up the windows, locked the doors and back out not being concerned about the damage that may be incurred and watched from a distance to ensure she was still safe and called 911.

Am I saying you were wrong, no you acted with in the knowledge you had at that time, do I see anything illegal in what you did, no but I do see alternatives.

kchau

imported post

i agree.
given the circumstances i acted with my instinct.

also not damage to my car, but if he actually got that close he probably would have put my life in danger as well.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Windows aren't that hard to break...there are some knives out there, they are called kubatons, they are meant to stab and break without having any metal material in it. One would be able to pass a metal detector with this, but that is not the point. Point is, someone hits your window, you are in, seat belted, glass shatters everywhere at you and you close your eyes because of the pieces all the while, mr tough guy is going at you with major advantages.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There was a shooting in Puyallup at one of the mini marts on Meridian where a guy hit the drivers window a few times, the window broke, the funeral for the attacker was a week later.

The car window does provide minimal protection and if the car is moving added protection but to sit there and do nothing else would be foolish.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ok? So do you know any details? Was the driver already set with his firearm in the seat, or did he reach over to get it or did jesus come out and handed him his gun or what? You don't know the details so how you going to bring that up? Instead, here in this thread, the OP is letting us know the details and we are working off of what info we got.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Ok? So do you know any details? Was the driver already set with his firearm in the seat, or did he reach over to get it or did jesus come out and handed him his gun or what? You don't know the details so how you going to bring that up? Instead, here in this thread, the OP is letting us know the details and we are working off of what info we got.
I do know the details and with your childish behavior it is clear it will not do you any good.

It was well published in the papers and news about 3 years ago, even the Perice County Prosecutor commented on it on why the shooter was not charged over the outrage of several complaints from the attackers family and friends.

The issue still remains one is still able to shoot his attacker even if the window is broken just as someone being stabbed or shot continue to fight, is it something no one of would want to happen but it does.

If you had read the thread and understood what was written you would understand there are many ways to respond that will take different things into account depending on the facts. There is no cut and dry one way only to deal with any conflict, one reacts based upon his training and morals of what they are willing to do or not do.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Well back up your statements and share the details with us. Isn't one rule of this forum;

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][/font]
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available, is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
I'm just being realistic here.

joshcdc

imported post

I think that a determined attacker with training could break the window with a knife and stab a person with the same motion, especially with a tanto tip. Not just anyone could, but some could. Also, what if the guy charges with a knife as the window is closing? How fast can a car window be closed? Depends how far its opened. I think that there are a lot of variables, but I think the OP is alive, unwounded, and without charges, so he did something right. Well done.

PS Kubatons are not knives, though I suppose you could sharpen one and make a knife out of it. They are cool though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Thanks for the correction; I should restate my wording to say; kubatons can be USED as knives.

Oh, and try to cite from the manufacturers website, not enwikipedia.....

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Well back up your statements and share the details with us. Isn't one rule of this forum;

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][/font]
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available, is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
I'm just being realistic here.
You really do have a tough time understanding what you read, "If you state a rule of law" What law did I state here that I need to provide a link for?

The Kubotan is not a knife it is a tool for self defense that works off pressure points, my first one was in the earlier 1980 while employed in Nuclear Security.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Thanks for the correction; I should restate my wording to say; kubatons can be USED as knives.

Again you make an untrue statement it is not designed to be a knife and the design does not lead to be made into a knife :banghead:. Oh but in your fantasy land it could be. :lol:

220px-Ku2.JPG

joshcdc

imported post

Kubatons are not made by any one manufacturer anymore though they were invented by Kubota, and I was not trying to be a lawyer, just offer knowledge.
Wikipedia has a lot of knowledge. Also, why would I cite from an advertisement? That's all the manufacturers website would have anyway. Not tryin to put you down, but wikipedia is not bad at defining objects.

I bet a kubaton sharpened into a point could be stabbed into the driver of a car through a closed window though, I think I would have drawn too.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Poosharker wrote:

Again you make an untrue statement it is not designed to be a knife and the design does not lead to be made into a knife :banghead:. Oh but in your fantasy land it could be. :lol:
Maybe it is because I saw a kubaton that was meant to be used as a knife?

So anyways, where are the details from that attack you mentioned earlier? Stop stalling.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

The amount of trolling in this thread is through the roof!

Anyway, OP did well. Threat was stopped and nobody got hurt. Nobody can ever tell ahead of time exactly how they'll react, but hindsight is 20/20. Could things have been done differently? Sure. What's the point in bickering over it? But that brings a whole new set of unknowns. Let's quit asking "What if" and focus on what did. OP was justified, bad guy backed off, and it all probably happened really fast. Live and learn.

Good show, kchau.