Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOC Forums?

Post imported post

So.... the MOC forums are only for MOC members? Can't you make sub-forums for the same purpose?

As much as I hate the stupid drama that you guys threw around here at times, I did highly enjoy the last Warren Picnic you guys had that I came to and showed my support at, and would like to continue to show my support for MOC and OC in the future.

I've shown interest in joining MOC as an official member (and even have an MOC sticker on my car) for a while now, however, since MOC no longer conducts any official business here, I'm completely and utterly out of the loop as to what's going on, what events are being held, and what the latest general scoop is. I put in a request for a forum membership, but have not been approved or denied since the forums came up. I can't see justifying paying for a membership in this economy and with the college debt I've accrued unless I know what's going on.

If you guys want to expand your membership; well, that's probably one of the better ways to do it. Cause, drama or no drama, these forums are awfully quiet without you.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Without who? Most if not all of us are still posting here...

Also you can see upcoming events by going here. http://www.michiganopencarry.org/events

Ah and one other thing. I think Teamspeak has more to do with why some folks are not posting here then the MOC forums. But that is just my opinion.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the significant reduction in posts since MOC got their own forums, come on. :P We went from having SO MANY posts that we had 4 pages of posts for one day, to having 2 new posts a day.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

I'd join TS if it worked properly for me.

For some reason I have to scream into my microphone for anyone to hear me with Teamspeak. I've played with the program for hours, and haven't had much luck.

Ventrilo, a similar program, works fine with zero issues.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the significant reduction in posts since MOC got their own forums, come on. :P We went from having SO MANY posts that we had 4 pages of posts for one day, to having 2 new posts a day.
    Well I have seen the reduction start earlier than that .... and based on who hardly posts and who uses Teamspeak the most I would have to say that Teamspeak is taking more of their time... not saying that is bad just observing.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

What's the TS info again?
    I can't find it for some reason. I guess I'll try it again sometime, and see if I can't join you. Maybe they've made fixes since I tried it a few years ago.

Post imported post

I don't have the thread but you can search for it by looking up Posts by Dougwg

And just for the record my problem with Team-speak is there is no permanent record of what was said. If you cannot listen in you are screwed. And for the person who can only get on and read at odd hours due to work there is no record of what was discussed so from an educational standpoint it is lacking.

For a meeting to hammer out a particular issue or for a skull session that results in a consensus document it works well.

Just an example. My brother did not have good internet access until the last 2 months and he has been reading all of the old threads and learning alot on OCDO. If there were no old threads where would he go to learn?

Again not bashing team speak just observing it's shortcomings IMOP.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-18-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-18-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    Well I have seen the reduction start earlier than that .... and based on who hardly posts and who uses Teamspeak the most I would have to say that Teamspeak is taking more of their time... not saying that is bad just observing.
    I agree. I think the drop in activity on the forums is due more to TeamSpeak than the MOC forums. In truth, if you read the MOC forums, you won't see that much activity.

I also agree that the draw back of TS is that it doesn't leave a record for other's to see much like the forum does.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Ah and one other thing. I think Teamspeak has more to do with why some folks are not posting here then the MOC forums. But that is just my opinion.
    It's my opinion as well.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    I'd join TS if it worked properly for me.

For some reason I have to scream into my microphone for anyone to hear me with Teamspeak. I've played with the program for hours, and haven't had much luck.

Ventrilo, a similar program, works fine with zero issues.
    Mal, if you join TS there will be a larger "reduction" of posts here.

Post imported post

My .02 as well, and most of the multi-page posts you refer to were mostly just continuation of arguments anyway. If you have noticed since Mike and John made their posts regarding all the flaming and personal attacks, posts have dropped dramatically! Since then I have started spending more time on the forum and posting what little info I may have. Once events get going and more of us are out and about, I think you will see a lot more posts in the near future.
    JMO

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    My .02 as well, and most of the multi-page posts you refer to were mostly just continuation of arguments anyway. If you have noticed since Mike and John made their posts regarding all the flaming and personal attacks, posts have dropped dramatically! Since then I have started spending more time on the forum and posting what little info I may have. Once events get going and more of us are out and about, I think you will see a lot more posts in the near future.
    JMO
    I think that's got a lot to do with it. Also that there are less "notable" events taking place.

Less negative encounters, and so forth.

I do spend a bit of time on TeamSpeak, and there really isn't much going on there other than people just wasting time talking about their day for the most part.

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    I agree. I think the drop in activity on the forums is due more to TeamSpeak than the MOC forums. In truth, if you read the MOC forums, you won't see that much activity.

I also agree that the draw back of TS is that it doesn't leave a record for other's to see much like the forum does.
    There are only 338 posts on the MOC forums as of right now, and at least half of those have nothing to do with OC or events or anything other than people saying Hi, I'm here. :P

I believe discussions are being had as far as opening up the forums to some degree or another, which I support doing.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    So.... the MOC forums are only for MOC members? Can't you make sub-forums for the same purpose?

As much as I hate the stupid drama that you guys threw around here at times, I did highly enjoy the last Warren Picnic you guys had that I came to and showed my support at, and would like to continue to show my support for MOC and OC in the future.

I've shown interest in joining MOC as an official member (and even have an MOC sticker on my car) for a while now, however, since MOC no longer conducts any official business here, I'm completely and utterly out of the loop as to what's going on, what events are being held, and what the latest general scoop is. I put in a request for a forum membership, but have not been approved or denied since the forums came up. I can't see justifying paying for a membership in this economy and with the college debt I've accrued unless I know what's going on.

If you guys want to expand your membership; well, that's probably one of the better ways to do it. Cause, drama or no drama, these forums are awfully quiet without you.
    im still here,and posting events!

also made forum mod on MOC forums.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Yes they are and I too think it would be good to have certain sections available to the public.

Banned

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    malignity wrote:

Thats great news Freak!. I am glad to see MOC.INC continues to embrase there underage members. Way to go MOC. Freak for Pres! He'll only quit if he's arrested!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

wardog6d wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    malignity wrote:

Thats great news Freak!. I am glad to see MOC.INC continues to embrase there underage members. Way to go MOC. Freak for Pres! He'll only quit if he's arrested!
    MOC tries to embrace anyone that wants to learn about OC. Being mentors for the next generation. I'm sure they willselecttheir own moderators when UFO get's their forum up.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    for the person who can only get on and read at odd hours due to work
    That's me. Case in point, it is now 4:25 a.m. on Monday and I just got home from work about an hour ago.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

malignity -

there is actually an on-going discussion about opening up the forums or areas of the forums to the general public, in which I support doing.

But, we need more of the MOC members on the forums to post their comments in the MOC thread on the forums. We've only had about 19 people comment 1 way or another. We have well over 100 members..... if more would come to comment, it would give the board more reason to make a decision on it at this point.

I'm stuck in the position where I would love to open it up for all to at least the main OC areas that everyone can view and read, but I cannot without the Boards Approval.

edit: i have not rejected any of the registrations that are non-moc members at this moment, until the board gets enough response from the membership and makes a decision. This way, if they say "ok" i can click approve on the other 36 registrations, rather then forcing all of ya to re-register again.

If that happens, you will get an email to your account that you registered with stating to click a link to activate your account.

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Another factor that may influence participation, both here, on the MOC Forum and TS, is Facebook.

I don't use TS, but I do keep checking the forums & FB every few days. I don't see very much cross over between FB and the forums, so I don't know if the posters are members or not, but it has been pretty active with fan posts.

However, IMO, it takes a different kind of communicating because the posts are limited on the number of characters you can write. There are currently 529 fans. While the site/page appears to be MOC, Inc. owned, the last 'official' posting was Mar 29th.

As there are more outlets for people to seek information, it becomes inevitable there will be a reduction in activity spread across all the venues.

Roy

Roy Sprunger
    IT Support
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Post imported post

I do not know this but I would bet that eventually the FB account will be linked into the events schedule in some way so that the events show in all three places.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Looks like the MOC forums will have an area open to the public within the next few days. We certainly encourage everyone to continue to participate here as well though, we do not want to lose the audience that comes here looking for information!
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    Remeber, Pat's on vacation right now.

Go ahead and blame all the lack of drama on me.

Let me see...

"All I need is this entertainment center.
    And this ashtray."

"That's all I need. I'll never go to IKEA again."

"Except to get this entertainment center, this ashtray and this lamp."

"I'm never going to IKEA ever again... Except to get this entertainment center, this ashtray, this lamp, and oh look at that chair. It'll go nice in the study."

I'll be back in a few days. Then I'll get back to the business of stirring the pot in my new civil manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast