• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC Forums?

malignity

imported post

So.... the MOC forums are only for MOC members? Can't you make sub-forums for the same purpose?

As much as I hate the stupid drama that you guys threw around here at times, I did highly enjoy the last Warren Picnic you guys had that I came to and showed my support at, and would like to continue to show my support for MOC and OC in the future.

I've shown interest in joining MOC as an official member (and even have an MOC sticker on my car) for a while now, however, since MOC no longer conducts any official business here, I'm completely and utterly out of the loop as to what's going on, what events are being held, and what the latest general scoop is. I put in a request for a forum membership, but have not been approved or denied since the forums came up. I can't see justifying paying for a membership in this economy and with the college debt I've accrued unless I know what's going on.

If you guys want to expand your membership; well, that's probably one of the better ways to do it. Cause, drama or no drama, these forums are awfully quiet without you.

malignity

imported post

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the significant reduction in posts since MOC got their own forums, come on. :p We went from having SO MANY posts that we had 4 pages of posts for one day, to having 2 new posts a day.

malignity

imported post

I'd join TS if it worked properly for me.

For some reason I have to scream into my microphone for anyone to hear me with Teamspeak. I've played with the program for hours, and haven't had much luck.

Ventrilo, a similar program, works fine with zero issues.

autosurgeon

imported post

malignity wrote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the significant reduction in posts since MOC got their own forums, come on. :p We went from having SO MANY posts that we had 4 pages of posts for one day, to having 2 new posts a day.
Well I have seen the reduction start earlier than that .... and based on who hardly posts and who uses Teamspeak the most I would have to say that Teamspeak is taking more of their time... not saying that is bad just observing.

malignity

imported post

What's the TS info again?
I can't find it for some reason. I guess I'll try it again sometime, and see if I can't join you. Maybe they've made fixes since I tried it a few years ago.

autosurgeon

imported post

I don't have the thread but you can search for it by looking up Posts by Dougwg

And just for the record my problem with Team-speak is there is no permanent record of what was said. If you cannot listen in you are screwed. And for the person who can only get on and read at odd hours due to work there is no record of what was discussed so from an educational standpoint it is lacking.

For a meeting to hammer out a particular issue or for a skull session that results in a consensus document it works well.

Just an example. My brother did not have good internet access until the last 2 months and he has been reading all of the old threads and learning alot on OCDO. If there were no old threads where would he go to learn?

Again not bashing team speak just observing it's shortcomings IMOP.

ghostrider

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
malignity wrote:
Well I have seen the reduction start earlier than that .... and based on who hardly posts and who uses Teamspeak the most I would have to say that Teamspeak is taking more of their time... not saying that is bad just observing.
I agree. I think the drop in activity on the forums is due more to TeamSpeak than the MOC forums. In truth, if you read the MOC forums, you won't see that much activity.

I also agree that the draw back of TS is that it doesn't leave a record for other's to see much like the forum does.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

malignity wrote:
I'd join TS if it worked properly for me.

For some reason I have to scream into my microphone for anyone to hear me with Teamspeak. I've played with the program for hours, and haven't had much luck.

Ventrilo, a similar program, works fine with zero issues.
Mal, if you join TS there will be a larger "reduction" of posts here.

WARCHILD

imported post

My .02 as well, and most of the multi-page posts you refer to were mostly just continuation of arguments anyway. If you have noticed since Mike and John made their posts regarding all the flaming and personal attacks, posts have dropped dramatically! Since then I have started spending more time on the forum and posting what little info I may have. Once events get going and more of us are out and about, I think you will see a lot more posts in the near future.
JMO

ghostrider

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
My .02 as well, and most of the multi-page posts you refer to were mostly just continuation of arguments anyway. If you have noticed since Mike and John made their posts regarding all the flaming and personal attacks, posts have dropped dramatically! Since then I have started spending more time on the forum and posting what little info I may have. Once events get going and more of us are out and about, I think you will see a lot more posts in the near future.
JMO
I think that's got a lot to do with it. Also that there are less "notable" events taking place.

Less negative encounters, and so forth.

I do spend a bit of time on TeamSpeak, and there really isn't much going on there other than people just wasting time talking about their day for the most part.

FatboyCykes

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
malignity wrote:
I agree. I think the drop in activity on the forums is due more to TeamSpeak than the MOC forums. In truth, if you read the MOC forums, you won't see that much activity.

I also agree that the draw back of TS is that it doesn't leave a record for other's to see much like the forum does.
There are only 338 posts on the MOC forums as of right now, and at least half of those have nothing to do with OC or events or anything other than people saying Hi, I'm here. :p

I believe discussions are being had as far as opening up the forums to some degree or another, which I support doing.

lil_freak_66

imported post

malignity wrote:
So.... the MOC forums are only for MOC members? Can't you make sub-forums for the same purpose?

As much as I hate the stupid drama that you guys threw around here at times, I did highly enjoy the last Warren Picnic you guys had that I came to and showed my support at, and would like to continue to show my support for MOC and OC in the future.

I've shown interest in joining MOC as an official member (and even have an MOC sticker on my car) for a while now, however, since MOC no longer conducts any official business here, I'm completely and utterly out of the loop as to what's going on, what events are being held, and what the latest general scoop is. I put in a request for a forum membership, but have not been approved or denied since the forums came up. I can't see justifying paying for a membership in this economy and with the college debt I've accrued unless I know what's going on.

If you guys want to expand your membership; well, that's probably one of the better ways to do it. Cause, drama or no drama, these forums are awfully quiet without you.

im still here,and posting events!

also made forum mod on MOC forums.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
malignity wrote:

Thats great news Freak!. I am glad to see MOC.INC continues to embrase there underage members. Way to go MOC. Freak for Pres! He'll only quit if he's arrested!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wardog6d wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
malignity wrote:

Thats great news Freak!. I am glad to see MOC.INC continues to embrase there underage members. Way to go MOC. Freak for Pres! He'll only quit if he's arrested!
MOC tries to embrace anyone that wants to learn about OC. Being mentors for the next generation. I'm sure they willselecttheir own moderators when UFO get's their forum up.