Thread: Bristol Press (CT) - NRA calls campuses ‘disarmed victim zones’

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Anyone know why this reporter states the sentence below?

We have been tracking Connecticut as not criminalizing handgun carry on college campuses at http://www.opencarry.org/college.html- of course, sometimes our maps or wrong and need to be updated with new information.

--

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2010/04/10/news/doc4bc117ea7699b877073046.txt

SNIP

"If state law allowed guns on campus, most students would not have weapons because a person must be 21 and complete a rigorous process to get a Connecticut gun permit."

Post imported post

I think they're saying that most people in college are under 21. It is a very confusing sentence though.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:

We have been tracking Connecticut as not criminalizing handgun carry on college campuses at http://www.opencarry.org/college.html- of course, sometimes our maps or wrong and need to be updated with new information.

--

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2010/04/10/news/doc4bc117ea7699b877073046.txt

SNIP

"If state law allowed guns on campus, most students would not have weapons because a person must be 21 and complete a rigorous process to get a Connecticut gun permit."

because state law is 21 y/o to get a carry permit. rigorous process???, maybe in some towns it WAS but not anymore. you need the nra safety course completion form and your id, fingerprints and time.

Post imported post

I think its pretty rigorous given you need the permit just to buy or transport one.
    Wouldn't be bad if you only needed the permit to carry though. Isn't it a federal law that you need to be 21 to buy a handgun anyway?

Post imported post

Mainly because most people that are 21 are seniors and live off campus anyway. I was 20 before I moved off campus at UNH two years ago. Then I was able to bring my collection of long guns from home, then I became a resident of CT, and got my pistol permit.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:

SNIP

The reporter is misinformed, or is deliberately misleading with this statement. State law does not specifically prevent carry on college campuses, only K-12 schools (Sec. 53a-217b).

Post imported post

lcatct wrote:
    Mike wrote:

SNIP

The reporter is misinformed, or is deliberately misleading with this statement. State law does not specifically prevent carry on college campuses, only K-12 schools (Sec. 53a-217b).

yes technically you can, students most likely cant because of the student rules and regs. it is a school board thing for them.