• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bristol Press (CT) - NRA calls campuses ‘disarmed victim zones’

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Anyone know why this reporter states the sentence below?

We have been tracking Connecticut as not criminalizing handgun carry on college campuses at http://www.opencarry.org/college.html- of course, sometimes our maps or wrong and need to be updated with new information.

--

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2010/04/10/news/doc4bc117ea7699b877073046.txt

SNIP

"If state law allowed guns on campus, most students would not have weapons because a person must be 21 and complete a rigorous process to get a Connecticut gun permit."

stacks04

imported post

Mike wrote:

We have been tracking Connecticut as not criminalizing handgun carry on college campuses at http://www.opencarry.org/college.html- of course, sometimes our maps or wrong and need to be updated with new information.

--

http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/2010/04/10/news/doc4bc117ea7699b877073046.txt

SNIP

"If state law allowed guns on campus, most students would not have weapons because a person must be 21 and complete a rigorous process to get a Connecticut gun permit."

because state law is 21 y/o to get a carry permit. rigorous process???, maybe in some towns it WAS but not anymore. you need the nra safety course completion form and your id, fingerprints and time.

Leverdude

imported post

I think its pretty rigorous given you need the permit just to buy or transport one.
Wouldn't be bad if you only needed the permit to carry though. Isn't it a federal law that you need to be 21 to buy a handgun anyway?

Chubs2287

imported post

Mainly because most people that are 21 are seniors and live off campus anyway. I was 20 before I moved off campus at UNH two years ago. Then I was able to bring my collection of long guns from home, then I became a resident of CT, and got my pistol permit.

lcatct

imported post

Mike wrote:

SNIP

The reporter is misinformed, or is deliberately misleading with this statement. State law does not specifically prevent carry on college campuses, only K-12 schools (Sec. 53a-217b).

stacks04

imported post

lcatct wrote:
Mike wrote:

SNIP

The reporter is misinformed, or is deliberately misleading with this statement. State law does not specifically prevent carry on college campuses, only K-12 schools (Sec. 53a-217b).

yes technically you can, students most likely cant because of the student rules and regs. it is a school board thing for them.