Thread: Passing along a funny sign concerning run rights...

Post imported post

From a guy in Florida :

My neighbor is a "lefty" of sorts (Obama bumper stickers, gung-ho

Socialized medicine, "guns should be banned", etc.). So this past spring

I put this sign up in my yard after one of his anti-gun rants at a neighborhood

Cocktail party.

The sign wasn't up more than an hour before he called the police and wanted them to make me

Take down the sign. Fortunately, the officer politely informed him that it was not their job to take

Such action without a court order and that he had to file a complaint "downtown" first, which would

Be reviewed by the city attorney to see if it violated any city, county, or state ordinances, which

If there was a violation a court order would be sent to the offending party (me) to "remove the

Sign in seven days."

After several weeks he was informed that the sign was legal (by a quarter of an inch) and there

Was nothing the city could do, which obviously made him madder.

I tried to smooth things over by inviting him to go shooting with me and my friends at the hunt club but

That seemed to make him even more angry.

I am at a loss how to reconcile our long relationship (notice I did not say friendship), any suggestions

Would be welcome.

Anyway, that's life in our neck of the woods, how about yours?

McX

Post imported post

life's a bitch, it's a bigger bitch when your unarmed.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

DJDD wrote:
    From a guy in Florida :
    Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

A G00gle Image search on "house, not, armed" got 13 million hits, sixteen of which on the first page were this identical photograph.

You're on too many e-mail lists.

Present company excepted of course

Post imported post

I nearly peed myself reading this! Holy crap that's hilarious! Just out of curiosity... Why was the guy so upset? You were just helping him tell everyone how he felt right?

I put myself out there by OCing. Everyone knows how I feel about guns. Why did he mind that everyone knew how he felt about them? I'm not afraid to let people know how I feel about it. Why would he be afraid to let people know how he feels about it? Maybe he should try to figure out why he's nervous about the sign instead of trying to figure out how to get rid of it.

McX

Post imported post

all those hits for 'houses not armed'? I wasn't on that list was i?

McX

Post imported post

double tap

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    DJDD wrote:
    From a guy in Florida :
    Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

A G00gle Image search on "house, not, armed" got 13 million hits, sixteen of which on the first page were this identical photograph.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? Thought it was funny so I posted it. Also, judging form the reactions in this thread, I'm not the only one who hadn't seen it before.

Post imported post

DJDD wrote:
    DJDD wrote:
    From a guy in Florida :

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? Thought it was funny so I posted it. Also, judging form the reactions in this thread, I'm not the only one who hadn't seen it before.
    I'll be honest, I hadn't seen this before. When I looked at the picture I thought it looked like something from a funny email or something but I really didn't care 'cause I about hit the floor reading it. The point is, it's really funny.

I still stand by the points I made (See my first post). Why wouldn't anti's want signs like that by their house? It shows their position on gun issues loud and proud. If they have a problem with it, then it seems a sign like that proves our position louder.

Banned

Post imported post

DJDD wrote:
    DJDD wrote:
    From a guy in Florida :

I had seen this sign before (I think on OCDO) sans the story. Who cares whether the details you posted with the sign are true. It's a funny story. It rings true, even if it isn't. And, it illustrates one of the core principles behind the RKBA.

Good post. Ignore any snark you get as a result of sharing it!

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    DJDD wrote:
    DJDD wrote:
    From a guy in Florida :

I had seen this sign before (I think on OCDO) sans the story. Who cares whether the details you posted with the sign are true. It's a funny story. It rings true, even if it isn't. And, it illustrates one of the core principles behind the RKBA.

Good post. Ignore any snark you get as a result of sharing it!
    Ummmmm... I think +1 is deserved for this post (extra +1 for the last sentence). Just me?... Don't think so. Let's have this forum stay a pro 2a forum. Not a "find a way to bash a guy" forum. Seriously.

To repeat the above... Good post OP, that's funny!:celebrate

Edited to add: Where you from?

Post imported post

Oldie but a goodie. I like to dream that it's true. HehHeh

Post imported post

I like the story and don't care weather it's true or not. However, with the limited image processing experience that I have, I've gotta say the sign looks an awful lot like it was digitally fabricated.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

I love it. The first person to ever send this to me was my boss at the time.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Post imported post

+1
    I've seen this before. Just like something
    I would do! But fortunately we don't
    have to many anti's around here.

Post imported post

I will chime in.. I was with an ANTI when we first came across a similar photograph..

He said

"Why would you want to advertise you have weapons? The criminals will know which house to hit up and steal all your guns.... They will scope out the situation; wait until you leave the house, and steal all your weapons."

Post imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
    I will chime in..* I was with an ANTI when we first came across a similar photograph..

He said

"Why would you want to advertise you have weapons?* The criminals will know which house to hit up and steal all your guns....* They will scope out the situation; wait until you leave the house, and steal all your weapons."

I think I disagree with your anti friend. A BG can scope out the house all he wants. If the house in question is "advertising" that they have guns, they most likely know how to secure them when they leave. Also, if the BG knows the residents carry, who knows if they may forget something when they leave the house and come back to get it when he's there. That's quite a bad position to put himself in.

It seems to me that most criminals aren't stupid, they're just too lazy to work hard and become a part of society. They look for easy targets to get stuff to make some cash. They can buy their guns from the jerk down the street that got it illegally from the other loser that bought it and "had it stolen".

They won't risk being in a 2a respecting, law abiding patriots home.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

The point is not to advertise anything, that is a secondary benefit/drawback. The point is to confront the anti- with why they feel nervous about the sign and get them to reconsider why they feel that way (either about the sign or about guns). Least, that's why I would do it.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Though this story may be ficticious, it does reveal the hypocrosy of the anti-gunner.

If an anti-gun person would get their shorts in a wad over such a sign, they would be conceeding to the fact that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens ARE a deterent to criminal activity.

Now, if I can just get my neighbor to get rid of those damned "Mole Detour" signs he's placed around his property.

McX

Post imported post

well, a sure sign of spring in my politically correct neighborhood is me putting out my bulett ridden pink flamingo yard ornaments.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    well, a sure sign of spring in my politically correct neighborhood is me putting out my bulett ridden pink flamingo yard ornaments.
    You mean y'all got a flamingo hunting season in WI?