• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hospital Carry?

tcmech

imported post

Just a quick background here. I grew up in Indiana and moved away when I was 18. It has been 26 years since I lived there but many of my relatives still do. Including my mother who ended up in ICU at the Lutheran Hospital in Ft. Wayne last week.

I went home to visit her and since I didn't want to deal with any more bs or stress than I was already going through at the moment I just let the jacket hang over the glock. I do have a Virginia CCW permit so I know that I am legal in Indiana. Since I didn't see any signs at the door I just figured that as long as the key word here was concealed I was rolling with it. My wife was pretty surprised that I actually conceal carried my gun in the hospital, she seemed kind of embarassed when I asked her where her gun was. It was in the car with the chihuahua (mydog, not the wifes, but that is another story).

My question is did I accidentally break any rules by carrying inside the Lutheran Hospital Heart Center?

Skippy

imported post

Hospital rules? Maybe. Probably. Laws? Definitely not. There are no laws prohibiting carry (open or concealed) at a hospital.

rtrouten

imported post

I have carried in Lutheran, only because I didnt see anything posted either....actually I was in the heart center as well. I had a nurse ask if I had a permit to carry "that" but that was it. I know it is posted at Parkview not to carry. Yes, you can carry and risk making a seen but I am not the type to draw any attention that doesn't need drawn. I respect there wishes as well as I hope they to one day try to respect mine...:banghead:

mdevar

imported post

I'm in the Southern Indiana area (near Louisville, KY) and my wife recently had an emergency surgery. Since I was new to carrying, and had tons of time to sit and do nothing, I decided to approach one of the security guards at the gaurd shack there. I told him I hadn't seen any signs restricting concealed wepons, and asked if it was permitted? He said (with authority) NO! I didn't want to get booted from the hospital with my wife in a critical surgery, so I walked out to the car and stashedmy PT145 and the .38 spcl. He may have just been on a power trip, but I didn't want to push the issue. I have tried to stay current on IN law, and haven't seen anything that states you can't carry inside a hospital.

This was at Floyd Memorial in New Albany BTW.

protias

imported post

mdevar wrote:
I'm in the Southern Indiana area (near Louisville, KY) and my wife recently had an emergency surgery. Since I was new to carrying, and had tons of time to sit and do nothing, I decided to approach one of the security guards at the gaurd shack there. I told him I hadn't seen any signs restricting concealed wepons, and asked if it was permitted? He said (with authority) NO! I didn't want to get booted from the hospital with my wife in a critical surgery, so I walked out to the car and stashedmy PT145 and the .38 spcl. He may have just been on a power trip, but I didn't want to push the issue. I have tried to stay current on IN law, and haven't seen anything that states you can't carry inside a hospital.

This was at Floyd Memorial in New Albany BTW.
Never ask as most places will say no...at least that's how I've heard from many people from different states.

mdevar

imported post

Yeah... probably wasn't the greatest idea to even ask. I was just curious. Being new to carrying, it almost felt wrong to have a gun in the hospital.... I think that's probably what prompted me to ask.

protias

imported post

mdevar wrote:
Yeah... probably wasn't the greatest idea to even ask. I was just curious. Being new to carrying, it almost felt wrong to have a gun in the hospital.... I think that's probably what prompted me to ask.
That's because "society" has conditioned everyone to think guns are bad and only "trained" police should be able to defend themselves or others.

Prometheus

imported post

tcmech wrote:
My question is did I accidentally break any rules by carrying inside the Lutheran Hospital Heart Center?
No.

FWIW asking a security guard that question is like asking the greeter at walmart... you're never going to get a good answer. Don't ever do that again, please.

What you probably just accomplished is that there will signs plastered everywhere next week saying "no guns". :X

tcmech

imported post

Prometheus wrote:
tcmech wrote:
No.

FWIW asking a security guard that question is like asking the greeter at walmart... you're never going to get a good answer. Don't ever do that again, please.

What you probably just accomplished is that there will signs plastered everywhere next week saying "no guns". :X
Just to clarify, I did not ask anyone. I tend to roll with the it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission attitude. When my gun is concealed it stays that way. If there are no signs saying I cannot carry in a place that I do not know is banned by law (courthouse, post office, etc). I keep it concealed, and keep it quiet.

BBR-14

imported post

Skippy wrote:
Hospital rules? Maybe. Probably. Laws? Definitely not. There are no laws prohibiting carry (open or concealed) at a hospital.

So If there are no laws prohibiting carrybut said Hospital has a rule that you can't

then they can ask you to leave and you have to right?

I think that's the case.....