Thread: Getting stop question.

Post imported post

If a cpl holder get's stopped and is not carrying, but as a courtesy says I'm a cpl holder but am not carrying, what if the officer say's well I'd like to check you or your vehicle to be sure, could they do that. If not could someone point me toward a reference.

Post imported post

If there was no other reason for the search then it would be unlawful.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

gettysburg wrote:
    If a cpl holder get's stopped and is not carrying, but as a courtesy says I'm a cpl holder but am not carrying, what if the officer say's well I'd like to check you or your vehicle to be sure, could they do that. If not could someone point me toward a reference.
    I would always refuse to let them search me or my vehicle. If they do and it is found to be unlawful then anything they find could be tossed out.

BUT if you give them permission then it's a lawful search.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

They can ask whatever they want, but without RAS for a search, or a warrant, they cannot go beyond pulling you over and demanding the paperwork that the law makes you show them.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

As far as I'm concerned, if I'm not carrying, and disclose such, I'm doing them a favor. I've disclosed after pulling over, and have been told blatantly 'So what.' TWICE (by two different cops.) Needless to say, unless they have a grossly skewed view on reality, they have no reason whatsoever to search a CPL holder's car; considering what it takes to GET and MAINTAIN a CPL license. I can practically sneeze these days and Macomb Co. Gun Board will be calling.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

About 2 years before our colorful interactions with them, a ******* Oakland County Sheriff's deputy pulled over a CPL holding friend of a friend, and actually screamed at him about how stupid it was for a 23 year old to be carrying a gun which he didn't need.

Some cops really resent CPL holders, probably because these cops were picked on as small children, and want to feel better about themselves by being the biggest and most powerful bully on the street. Of course, not all cops are this way, but plenty are, especially in the mid west where way too many get into police work for all the wrong reasons. It's something to be ready for.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.