• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Words have meaning...

Dreamer

imported post

The anti side is acutely aware of the fact that words have meaning--both formal meanings (as defined in dictionaries and the emotive, socially-charged meanings associated with some terms), and has used this concept to great effect over the years.

It's about time that the 2A world realizes the power of words, and starts conducting themselves in a manner that acknowledges and affirms this concept. We need to start using words like the powerful tools for social change and reality-creation they are, and stop using the same terms that the anti's use. We need to use words in a TRUTHFUL way--to illustrate our ideals, our beliefs, and the REALITY of the law, and stop trying to re-define the double-speak that the anti's have infiltrated into the popular consciousness.

For instance, the phrase "relaxed gun laws" needs to be abandoned by the 2A movement. This phrase implies that gun control laws are somehow the norm, and that by abolishing them or modifying them to make them come in-line with the US Constitution, we are somehow "easing up" or "letting down our guard against criminals. Instead of using the phrase "relaxed (or relaxing) gun laws to describe getting rid of bad laws like they have in DC, MD or CA, we should describe these situations TRUTHFULLY and ACCURATELY.

How about we use the term "legal gun laws", or "Constitutional gun laws" or "Pro-Human-Rights laws"? How about describing these liberty-affirming laws as "anti-racist laws", or "Civic Duty laws", or "Personal Responsibility Laws"? All these terms are MUCH more accurate as to the TRUE nature of such Constitutional laws, and more clearly depict the TRUTH of the situation than the anti-inspired "relaxed gun laws" moniker.

Let's call it like it REALLY is, and stop using terms that make our stance look like it is somehow "easing up" on criminals. The use of the term "relaxed" is specifically engineered to evoke this sort of response. Let's stop using this term.

And the more I think of it, the very term that gives our forum it's name "open carry" was actually dreamed up by the other side. It is engineered to sound brash, aggressive, and as some form of protest, or "in your face" activism. Other socially controversial activities that certain people don't want to view are often branded with the "open-something" label, for the same reason--to make them sound like it's not normal, or like they are intentionally trying to put something in people's faces. Think about it--"Openly Gay", "Open Container", "Open Source"--all these things have been demonized by one side or the other because they are portrayed as being somehow unnatural or brazenly offensive.

How about we call it what it REALLY is: "Historical Carry". Open carry is the natural, historical default mode of carrying a handgun, in the context of nearly the entire 240+ years of our nation. Or how about "Defensive Carry", since that is why we all really choose to carry firearms. Or perhaps "Civil Carry", because it it not only a civil right and our civic duty (and obligation) to provide our own personal defense, but because it also promotes civility and civil peace and harmony by deterring criminals from preying on us.

Just an idea, folks.

Words have power--they create the culture in which we live and inform our concept of reality. Words express how we perceive ourselves, and inform others as to our intentions and motivations. Let's use that power to our advantage. Let's use words to create the reality we wish to see, instead of trying to redefine the propaganda the anti's are spewing by trying to use their own terms.

Let's stop playing with their own twisted rules. It's time to speak truth, and show the public--through our speech and actions--that the other side is nothing but fear, lies, and control-mongering propaganda.

It's time to stack the perceptual deck in our favor.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I noted this recently with the anti's taking the Virginia bill that would permit elementary schools to teach firearms safety courses, such as the Eddie Eagle program. IF they chose to teach it, they would do so in accordance with state-described curriculum standards.

In the anti's press releases, though, this same bill would require the Virginia Board of Education todevelop a curriculumfor teaching about guns.

Yes, it's important what we say, and how we say it.

One of the reasons I'm no longer a gun-rights activist. I'm a Second Amendment activist -- guns don't have rights.

__

Banned
imported post

Activist is an effortful sweat laden word. Advocates work from behind their keyboards, safely.

eye95

imported post

Prince Armitage Ranjit Dakkar wrote:
Activist is an effortful sweat laden word. Advocates work from behind their keyboards, safely.
How insulting. What were you doing Saturday? I wasn't behind my keyboard. Check out the Channel 42 thread. I don't see any keyboards.

Unbelievable.

smttysmth02gt

imported post

eye95 wrote:
How insulting. What were you doing Saturday? I wasn't behind my keyboard. Check out the Channel 42 thread. I don't see any keyboards.

Unbelievable.
Dude he is actually right...not that it matters as both of you mean well I am sure.

Advocate: a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually fol. by of): an advocate of peace.

Activist: an especially active, vigorous advocate of a cause, esp. a political cause.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

smttysmth02gt wrote:
eye95 wrote:

Unbelievable.
Dude he is actually right...not that it matters as both of you mean well I am sure.

Advocate: a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. (usually fol. by of): an advocate of peace.

Activist: an especially active, vigorous advocate of a cause, esp. a political cause.
But eye95 is right also, 'activist' is an emotionally charged word. Just because you are using the correct word correctly doesn't mean that it can't be misunderstood or twisted against you. That's why we have the right to remain silent, after all.

I am a proponent of the preexisting duty set forth in writing in the constitutions of the United States and of Alabama, as elucidated by various court decisions and judicial opinions, to keep and bear arms, including firearms, in defense of myself, my family, my fellow man (all genders inclusive), and the State of Alabama. But that's a mouthful, so you can just call me Kyle.

M

McX

imported post

i like to think of myself as an undergroundian, undergroundist, undergroundling? undergroundoid?

slowfiveoh

imported post

Oh boy this thread was a long time coming. Thank you so much for the wonderful insight Dreamer!

Let me add that I feel that there are quite a few other things that can, and should be brought to light.

Awareness of the 2nd Amendment:
Like so many other inalienable rights out there, we all have our own unique and varied interpretations of what we consider "infringement". This actually creates quite the predicament between gun owners, looking to strip away the illegal application to a right that by definition cannot be infringed upon. Conceded control is control nonetheless, and in a democracy, we as the people are to blame.

There is a bottom line to everything in life fellas. Everything has a core interpretation. Everything has a summarized meaning. Yet nothing in our entire Justice system is so clear, and concise as the Bill of Rights, in the description of powers not granted to the government, and deemed inalienable and solely owned by the individual by virtue of birth. By definition there should be no imposition into our lives by any other person or party anywhere, at any time!

This is absolutely imperative!

Another facet of the mere existence of these rights, is the subjugation cast down amongst peers in exercising our birth-inherent rights. This is the act that I cannot stomach more than any other, that seems to occur in our loose bonds in this cause.

Some of you don't want to hear what I say because of unfounded hatred or disdain for me in other threads. That's fine, and is totally your prerogative. However, a man never learned much by simply being pissed-off at everything.

I say that it is our goal to be unified in interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, and the purpose of this organization to that end. That is my understanding.

However, the most common divisions I see here are:

--People who tell other people what to carry, and how, as if they are empowered to do so. Completely and totally ignoring the "shall not infringe" part, themselves.
--People siding with government agencies for trampling individual rights, almost as if they themselves fear retaliation.
--People quick to call other people trolls, for simply voicing an opinion in an articulated, or even halfway intelligent manner.
--People very quick to kowtow to "societal norms" in absolute lieu of individual rights.

It's getting late here, and although I have more to say on this topic, I will simply try to finish it all up later.

Thanks.

eye95

imported post

Nothing in the word "advocate" indicates the advocacy is only spoken or in writing. It can be in actions also. It is downright insulting to flat-out state otherwise.

"Activist" is an emotionally-charged word. When one uses it, the word alone will turn some people off. Are we looking for validation among our own or to change the hearts and minds of others?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

When I first carried a sidearm (in civilian mode) back in '66 as a daily choice, there was no such term as 'open carry'. I learned of that here. I s'pose that's the reverse of concealed carry but the 'carry' part (as a word) is fairly recent as well. You either... 'had a gun on you'; were 'heeled' or not. WhenI say 'daily choice' is because it was 'allowed' in Arizona. That's not a good word to use either... but it's the opposite of denied or disallowed or illegal. It's a Right. It's the 'Shall not be impaired' part of the AZ Constitution. Y'know... that word 'shall'... the absolute do it? There's no wiggle room with the word 'shall'. I learned that in the Navy regarding weapons procedures. 'Shall' is a no argument operative.

Dreamer reinterated somethin' thatbecame 'parlance' during the Vietnam era.... : 'Doublespeak, along with Doublethink'... maybe the parent of political correctness in this country. Altho 'politically correct' is a product of the Maoist 'Red Guards' via USC Berkeley it would seem. Ennyhoo... back thenI wasn't all that politicalin todays sense of the term. Carryin' a firearm was achoice... not a statement. No questions of permit or registration or any of that stuff. Rights are taken for granted when not opposed or denied.

I dunno if I'm an activist or an advocate at this point. Prob'ly both. I'm not in favor of the 'in your face' theatrics orthe mall ninja stuff either. It's not beneficial and serves no purpose other than to garner personal attention.I carry a gun for self defense if necessary and as an obvious deterrent. I hope I'll never use it, but I'm confident in my abilities to do so. I realise that AZ is absolutenirvana compared to some areas, but that's a cultural difference yet to be overcome. There's a lot of sterotyping and genuine bigotry against those of us who choose to be armed. The reasons for that are myriad... but even that is a recent phenomenon. Bearing arms is a civil right. Always has been. The civil rights angle has been muddied by those claiming civil rights to this 'n that which are not specifically enumerated by the Constitution. The right to bear arms is. Oh... I know about this 'incorporation' stuff 'n all that legalese clutter that's allowed to build up like crud on tile. It's hard to get rid of... The McDonald vs Chicago case may be the final 'scrubbing bubbles' for all of that. Even then... the 'anti' states are gonna fight it.

I'm glad I live here... God Bless Arizona.