Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proud first-time OC woman here

Post imported post

After much learning about the law, reviewing of sound advice, and practicing at the range, I popped my OC cherry today at the Walmart in Monona And to think that my unarmed husband was actually the nervous one! Don't get me wrong--he does own and shoot guns, but he was under the impression that I would be leaving in the back of a police car, even though I have already explained to him countless times that I would be completely within the legal framework of WI and the welcoming arms of Walmart (ok, since then I've heard about the latest Walmart shooting scandal!). When we parked, he told me that he didn't want to walk near me in the store. Well that really discouraged me, because I feel that if he is going to be nervous about it then other people would read that off of him and also be nervous, even if he was walking apart from me and only stealing backwards glances at me. I think with this sort of thing, you have to exude confidence. After I explained that to him, he agreed and got on board. I holstered up, and off we went to buy some groceries with our kids in the shopping cart. I wanted everyone to be able to plainly see that my hands were nowhere near my gun (S&W .38 special), so I had them either on the shopping cart handle, my purse, or whatever I was buying. I took care to be extra friendly with everyone (rather than cower away in fear and feign ignorance like I usually do at Walmart), and I think it was a success. The LEOs did not get called, the management did not kick me out, and most importantly no threat of grave danger came against me or my family. I feel really comfortable with it and look forward to further exercising my 2nd Amendment rights, probably especially at Walmart and Woodmans on late-night trips :shock: So I guess I'm looking for some cheering on or something, since maybe only 1 person that I know supports my decision to OC, and I don't know anyone else who has done it. Some reaffirmation would be nice although by no means is necessary. Good advice too is more than welcome, especially OC regarding the commiecrat Madison area

Post imported post

Hi Shell and welcome. Nice job. It will get easier every time you carry. You are very right about demonstrating confidence when you carry, people pick up on that. If you don't have a small voice recorder I highly recommend you get one. That way you can prove you are not being "disorderly". I am not from the Madison area but I think Madison is won over. Several members walked around the Square and down State St. without incident so I think the police have got the message. If you want to get some carry experience in an open carry friendly environment take a drive up to Gander Mountain at DeForest and wander around in there for a while.
    Oh, tell your husband to grow a pair.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Nicely done!
    My wife is still weird about the whole OC thing but I am slowly getting her used to it. I'm not sure I'll ever see her carry but who knows.

Carry on!

Post imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

THAT IS SOO AWESOME. I MEAN, REALLY AWESOME.

I LOVE IT WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

IT IS SUCH A MORE POWERFUL MESSAGE WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

I FEEL LIKE DANCING. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

If you want to meet up with some more like-minded people, you're welcome to participate in one of the OC trash pickups scheduled this Spring. There's one in Janesville on April 24th and another in Dousman on May 15th.

Welcome to OC!

Dave

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Post imported post

Welcome Shell, and GREAT JOB!

Yes it does get easier the more you OC. Read as much of this forum as you can as there are always people looking for small group outings and large get-together's.

Wisconsin Carry inc has a good size contingency in the Madison area. I'm sure you could find a few that would meet up to OC with you.

Carry Proud!

Post imported post

Welcome! Sounds like you did everything right and took the plunge. Congratulations. It will only get easier from here on out. Keep up the good work. Keeping reading the forum and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I think you'll find that your first OC experience was a typical one. Nobody's world grinds to a halt, people don't get upset, there's no screaming, panic or police. You feel like you stick out like a sore thumb, yet oddly nobody seems to take particular notice of you or care that you are armed. The freedom-haters like to plant the idea that carrying a gun creates fear and concern among your fellow citizens everywhere you go. Your experience and that of your fellow OCers proves that simply is untrue. That they insultingly portray the majority of people as nervous and cowardly is ridiculous and unconscionable.

Interest in OC in the Madison area is picking up and we're beginning to get to know one another. Maybe we'll organize some social events for Madison area OCers soon. I'm taking note of some road stretches that might be in need of adoption by a local group so hopefully people will soon be seeing some "Madison Area Open Carry" signs along one of them.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum Shell !!!!!! & Congrats on your first OC experience, soon you will be doing it on a daily basis like most of us, you will feel naked with out it.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Post imported post

Hello Shell, my wife and I shop at that Walmart every week. She fully supports my open carrying, but isn't quite ready to carry herself yet. It gets easier every time.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

Post imported post

Very cool Shell, I hope my wife will someday be so positive about it. At the moment she doesnt even like me to carry much less her.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

Double post, sorry
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

Welcome Shell! You are right on for exercising your 2nd Amendment right! That first time is scary isn't it?! It does get easier as time goes on and yes, you will get the occasional stare but for the most part it is non-eventful. Going to Gander Mountain or Cabela's open carrying is a great way to break the ice and get comfortable with it.

Oh and I AGREE I LOVE TO SEE A WOMAN OPEN CARRYING! When I see a woman open carrying it just destroys the stereotypical thought process that most women are docile and cannot protect themselves. And it is great for the open carry persona!

I also suggest you get a decent voice recorder or perhaps a small video recorder and keep it with you just in case.

My wife supports me open carrying but she won't do it (yet). Her excuse is she doesn't have a belt for her holster. She is getting better though and has started going to the range again to re-learn how to handle her firearms. Soon I think I will have her open carrying with me. Our oldest daughter (18) does open carry with me when she is not at work.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS! And get your husband to join you!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Congrats on your first OC experience... it only gets easier with time!!!!

Carry on!

Post imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
    :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

THAT IS SOO AWESOME. I MEAN, REALLY AWESOME.

I LOVE IT WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

IT IS SUCH A MORE POWERFUL MESSAGE WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

I FEEL LIKE DANCING. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
    here ya go .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yAkkpbm_8E
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Banned

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum Shell. Congratulations on exercising your rights.
    Feels great doesn't it?

Carry On and Carry Always!

Peace

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

Good job!!!

Post imported post

Welcome! and congrats on your first time OCing.

There seems to be a lot of members from around the Madison area, so if you ever wanted, I'm sure most, if not all, of them would be willing to meet up with you to OC and talk about their experience.

Also, there will be lots of OC events across the state all summer. Keep an eye out for them here. You'll be able to go to them and meet a lot of people who OC everyday. If some of the drives are too far for you, I'm sure there will be people nearby you could carpool with.

If you don't already, you should carry an OC pamphlet to help you in educating people who ask about OC. Below is a link. Download and print off a few.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4656643/OC%20pamphlet%2015.pdf
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Thanks, everyone, for all of your encouragement I think it is really important for women to educate themselves on guns and OC. Have the non-OC wives seen any stats on violent crime against women or seen any of the emergency response calls on youtube (that ended either good for the armed victim or badly for the unarmed)? I think it should be something for any woman to think about, although I do realize that some women will just never get comfortable with it. I wanted to open carry today, but thought twice about it and left my gun at home since my major stops were Princeton Club and Jo-Ann Fabrics: I believe Princeton Club has a no-guns on premise rule, which would mean I'd have to leave the gun in my trunk for a good hour and a half while working out, and that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I was looking forward to OC at Jo-Ann since it'd be a good education opportunity for the other women there but I guess I'll have to do that next time on a separate trip.

I love the pamphlets and of course carry them in my purse. Also I printed out the WI Attorney General's memo from last year (I think?) which looked like it was directed towards LEOs, and I thought that'd be handy just in case. So I've heard about the idea to keep a voice recorder on you, but I'm not sure when it should be on? All the time that I am OC, or just when someone comes up and says something harassing? I think it'd be a great statement to get a bunch of OC women together for coffee (not at Fair Trade apparently), but I'm guessing we're not that common...

Post imported post

Well, It's all been said. Welcome Shell, My wife OCs as well with a little semi-auto. I carry a full sized 1911. Your Smith is an excellent choice.

Thank you for having the courage to exercise your inherent right to defend yourself. Not only are you taking the responsibility for your own safety but you may be the example some one else needs to summon the courage to carry as well.

My wife has always said, "If women want to 'take back the night', they ought to buy a gun, learn how to use it, and carry it." She's right. Marching in the street with candles and signs might make a statement, but a .38 will have the final word.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Post imported post

Shell wrote:
    So I've heard about the idea to keep a voice recorder on you, but I'm not sure when it should be on? All the time that I am OC, or just when someone comes up and says something harassing?
    I don't carry a voice recorder myself. Mainly because I try to find a nice one and they are all expensive. And besides that, I hate my voice so I'd hate to have to replay it to listen to it and honestly, I don't OC every time I go shopping, so I just can't justify spending the money. Also, like others have said, I don't want OC to feel like something out of the ordinary.

But, you would want it turned on at all times while OCing. Soon as you holster up, turn it on. You never know when somebody might start saying something to you,and you don't want to be reaching into your purse or wherever to turn it on.

Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Good job. Guess we know who's got the balls in the family (don't let your husband read this!)

Banned

Post imported post

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digita...p_ob_e_title_0

Cobbersmom wrote:
    Good job. Guess we know who's got the balls in the family (don't let your husband read this!)

Post imported post

Congrats Shell, be proudand feel good you've earned it. It is a big responsibility to take control of not only your own self protection but also the protection of everyone around you. Somethingtruly to be proud of. It wont take long and oc'ing will feel as normal as carrying a cell phone. As for your hubby, give him time and he'll see how cool you are and want to join in. Welcome aboard. Carry on my friend.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Oh, tell your husband to grow a pair.
    And...

Cobbersmom wrote:
    Do you really think that bashing her husband is the kind of public image we want to portray for the OC movement and do you believe it is a good way to convince him to OC? Think about it....

Dave

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Her user names are not Pollyanna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast