• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proud first-time OC woman here

Shell

imported post

After much learning about the law, reviewing of sound advice, and practicing at the range, I popped my OC cherry today at the Walmart in Monona :) And to think that my unarmed husband was actually the nervous one! Don't get me wrong--he does own and shoot guns, but he was under the impression that I would be leaving in the back of a police car, even though I have already explained to him countless times that I would be completely within the legal framework of WI and the welcoming arms of Walmart (ok, since then I've heard about the latest Walmart shooting scandal!). When we parked, he told me that he didn't want to walk near me in the store. Well that really discouraged me, because I feel that if he is going to be nervous about it then other people would read that off of him and also be nervous, even if he was walking apart from me and only stealing backwards glances at me. I think with this sort of thing, you have to exude confidence. After I explained that to him, he agreed and got on board. I holstered up, and off we went to buy some groceries with our kids in the shopping cart. I wanted everyone to be able to plainly see that my hands were nowhere near my gun (S&W .38 special), so I had them either on the shopping cart handle, my purse, or whatever I was buying. I took care to be extra friendly with everyone (rather than cower away in fear and feign ignorance like I usually do at Walmart), and I think it was a success. The LEOs did not get called, the management did not kick me out, and most importantly no threat of grave danger came against me or my family. I feel really comfortable with it and look forward to further exercising my 2nd Amendment rights, probably especially at Walmart and Woodmans on late-night trips :shock: So I guess I'm looking for some cheering on or something, since maybe only 1 person that I know supports my decision to OC, and I don't know anyone else who has done it. Some reaffirmation would be nice although by no means is necessary. Good advice too is more than welcome, especially OC regarding the commiecrat Madison area :)

comp45acp

imported post

Hi Shell and welcome. Nice job. It will get easier every time you carry. You are very right about demonstrating confidence when you carry, people pick up on that. If you don't have a small voice recorder I highly recommend you get one. That way you can prove you are not being "disorderly". I am not from the Madison area but I think Madison is won over. Several members walked around the Square and down State St. without incident so I think the police have got the message. If you want to get some carry experience in an open carry friendly environment take a drive up to Gander Mountain at DeForest and wander around in there for a while.
Oh, tell your husband to grow a pair.

Canard

imported post

Nicely done!
My wife is still weird about the whole OC thing but I am slowly getting her used to it. I'm not sure I'll ever see her carry but who knows.

Carry on!

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

THAT IS SOO AWESOME. I MEAN, REALLY AWESOME.

I LOVE IT WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

IT IS SUCH A MORE POWERFUL MESSAGE WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

I FEEL LIKE DANCING. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

If you want to meet up with some more like-minded people, you're welcome to participate in one of the OC trash pickups scheduled this Spring. There's one in Janesville on April 24th and another in Dousman on May 15th.

Welcome to OC!

Dave

hunter9mm

imported post

Welcome Shell, and GREAT JOB!

Yes it does get easier the more you OC. Read as much of this forum as you can as there are always people looking for small group outings and large get-together's.

Wisconsin Carry inc has a good size contingency in the Madison area. I'm sure you could find a few that would meet up to OC with you.

Carry Proud!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Welcome! Sounds like you did everything right and took the plunge. Congratulations. It will only get easier from here on out. Keep up the good work. Keeping reading the forum and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I think you'll find that your first OC experience was a typical one. Nobody's world grinds to a halt, people don't get upset, there's no screaming, panic or police. You feel like you stick out like a sore thumb, yet oddly nobody seems to take particular notice of you or care that you are armed. The freedom-haters like to plant the idea that carrying a gun creates fear and concern among your fellow citizens everywhere you go. Your experience and that of your fellow OCers proves that simply is untrue. That they insultingly portray the majority of people as nervous and cowardly is ridiculous and unconscionable.

Interest in OC in the Madison area is picking up and we're beginning to get to know one another. Maybe we'll organize some social events for Madison area OCers soon. I'm taking note of some road stretches that might be in need of adoption by a local group so hopefully people will soon be seeing some "Madison Area Open Carry" signs along one of them.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum Shell !!!!!! & Congrats on your first OC experience, soon you will be doing it on a daily basis like most of us, you will feel naked with out it.:D

bigdaddy1

imported post

Very cool Shell, I hope my wife will someday be so positive about it. At the moment she doesnt even like me to carry much less her.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome Shell! You are right on for exercising your 2nd Amendment right! That first time is scary isn't it?! It does get easier as time goes on and yes, you will get the occasional stare but for the most part it is non-eventful. Going to Gander Mountain or Cabela's open carrying is a great way to break the ice and get comfortable with it.

Oh and I AGREE I LOVE TO SEE A WOMAN OPEN CARRYING! When I see a woman open carrying it just destroys the stereotypical thought process that most women are docile and cannot protect themselves. And it is great for the open carry persona!

I also suggest you get a decent voice recorder or perhaps a small video recorder and keep it with you just in case.

My wife supports me open carrying but she won't do it (yet). Her excuse is she doesn't have a belt for her holster. She is getting better though and has started going to the range again to re-learn how to handle her firearms. Soon I think I will have her open carrying with me. Our oldest daughter (18) does open carry with me when she is not at work.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS! And get your husband to join you!;)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

THAT IS SOO AWESOME. I MEAN, REALLY AWESOME.

I LOVE IT WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

IT IS SUCH A MORE POWERFUL MESSAGE WHEN WOMEN CARRY.

I FEEL LIKE DANCING. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
here ya go ....:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yAkkpbm_8E

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome! and congrats on your first time OCing.

There seems to be a lot of members from around the Madison area, so if you ever wanted, I'm sure most, if not all, of them would be willing to meet up with you to OC and talk about their experience.

Also, there will be lots of OC events across the state all summer. Keep an eye out for them here. You'll be able to go to them and meet a lot of people who OC everyday. If some of the drives are too far for you, I'm sure there will be people nearby you could carpool with.

If you don't already, you should carry an OC pamphlet to help you in educating people who ask about OC. Below is a link. Download and print off a few.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4656643/OC%20pamphlet%2015.pdf

Shell

imported post

Thanks, everyone, for all of your encouragement :) I think it is really important for women to educate themselves on guns and OC. Have the non-OC wives seen any stats on violent crime against women or seen any of the emergency response calls on youtube (that ended either good for the armed victim or badly for the unarmed)? I think it should be something for any woman to think about, although I do realize that some women will just never get comfortable with it. I wanted to open carry today, but thought twice about it and left my gun at home since my major stops were Princeton Club and Jo-Ann Fabrics: I believe Princeton Club has a no-guns on premise rule, which would mean I'd have to leave the gun in my trunk for a good hour and a half while working out, and that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I was looking forward to OC at Jo-Ann since it'd be a good education opportunity for the other women there :) but I guess I'll have to do that next time on a separate trip.

I love the pamphlets and of course carry them in my purse. Also I printed out the WI Attorney General's memo from last year (I think?) which looked like it was directed towards LEOs, and I thought that'd be handy just in case. So I've heard about the idea to keep a voice recorder on you, but I'm not sure when it should be on? All the time that I am OC, or just when someone comes up and says something harassing? I think it'd be a great statement to get a bunch of OC women together for coffee (not at Fair Trade apparently), but I'm guessing we're not that common...

hardballer

imported post

Well, It's all been said. Welcome Shell, My wife OCs as well with a little semi-auto. I carry a full sized 1911. Your Smith is an excellent choice.

Thank you for having the courage to exercise your inherent right to defend yourself. Not only are you taking the responsibility for your own safety but you may be the example some one else needs to summon the courage to carry as well.

My wife has always said, "If women want to 'take back the night', they ought to buy a gun, learn how to use it, and carry it." She's right. Marching in the street with candles and signs might make a statement, but a .38 will have the final word.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shell wrote:
So I've heard about the idea to keep a voice recorder on you, but I'm not sure when it should be on? All the time that I am OC, or just when someone comes up and says something harassing?
I don't carry a voice recorder myself. Mainly because I try to find a nice one and they are all expensive. And besides that, I hate my voice so I'd hate to have to replay it to listen to it :) and honestly, I don't OC every time I go shopping, so I just can't justify spending the money. Also, like others have said, I don't want OC to feel like something out of the ordinary.

But, you would want it turned on at all times while OCing. Soon as you holster up, turn it on. You never know when somebody might start saying something to you,and you don't want to be reaching into your purse or wherever to turn it on.