• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunters safety class passing bad info

CantonDad

imported post

I sat in with my sons this weekend at a hunters safety class at Wayne County Sportsmans club. The instuctor briefly touched on open carry and correctly mentioned it was legal if totally carried in the open. He did not go into PFZ's or anything. He then went on to say that if you have a CPL you must always conceal or you will be cited with brandishing.

I wasnt going to call this guy out in front of the class but I am mad at myself for getting wrapped up in discussions with my kids and not pulling the guy aside and correcting him before leaving. Anyone have a contact there to straighten them out?

I wasnt carrying but was dismayed that before the class started they asked if anyone was carrying concealed, and if so to take it to the car.

My boys got through it but it wasnt a great class IMO.

mikestilly

imported post

It would be prudent to provide the full name of the trainer so we can educate the trainer with the truth about open carry. There are many people on here that would be happy to politely explain it.

Mike

CantonDad

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
It would be prudent to provide the full name of the trainer so we can educate the trainer with the truth about open carry. There are many people on here that would be happy to politely explain it.

Mike
I will get his name.

autosurgeon

imported post

CantonDad wrote:
mikestilly wrote:

Mike
I will get his name.
I agree the only way this type of thing will change is if an attempt to address it is made!

DanM

imported post

CantonDad wrote:
I wasnt going to call this guy out in front of the class . . .

It is generally bad form to start out with "calling out" people on theirignorance, but it is never inappropriate to simply raise one's hand immediatelyand politely provide more information wheresomeone's statements indicate they need it. I think politely saying something like, "Sir, there is an AG opinion on brandishingyou may not be aware of because it wasn't widely publicized, but it gives further definition on brandishing and if you OC with a CPL you will be ok. In fact many OC'ers in Michigan have CPL's, have had contact with police,and there has never been a charge or conviction for'brandishing' with these folks."

The appropriateness of "when"to address misinformation, in my view, is "sooner rather than later, and immediately rather than sooner". And I suggest immediate correction is best done politely and with a tone of assuming that the other person's ignorance is due only to the relative lack ofpublicizedinformation.

CantonDad

imported post

Yes, had i remebered to adress him later,i would have taken a totally respectable tone with him and tried to inform him of the laws. The guy was like 70-75 yrs old.

I do agree though, sooner is better than later.

CantonDad

imported post

CantonDad wrote:

I will get his name.

His name is Robert Fennell. 3 instructors but this guy did most of the talking.

Hopefully someone will be able to pay a visit and set him straight. There is probably many here with a better grasp on the laws to do it than me.

Yooper

imported post

My hunters safety class just briefly covered pistols as hunting weapons, and gave a quick showing of the difference between semi-auto's and revolvers. But, when everyone in the class is 11 or 12 yrs old, there's really no need to go into the legalities of OC/CC for handguns.

malignity

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Yooper wrote:
But, when everyone in the class is 11 or 12 yrs old, there's really no need to go into the legalities of OC/CC for handguns.

My thoughts exactly. Why was the subject even broached?

Bronson

"Daddy, daddy, why does that guy have a gun on his hip?"

"Because it's perfectly legal, son."

It starts at an early age.

cscitney87

imported post

In MY class; the instructor said "If everybody walks out of here with their guns on their hips... there will be emergency legislation to ban open carry over night."

I nearly fell out of my ******* chair. That was the last word on the subject before he carried on to the next. Couldn't get another word in.

UtahRSO

imported post

I'm wondering the same thing (about why the topic came up).

I teach Hunter Education, and I purposely stay away from discussing the legality of carrying for self-defense, either openly or concealed. There's enough to talk about in the Hunter Education material that needs to be covered.

If pressed, I'll show the person how and where to access the state code and let them read it for themselves. I have also recommended this site, and utahconcealedcarry.com (there's good open carry info there for our state).