Thread: Clarification on something......

Post imported post

I had seen this quote from someone on here and was wondering about this......

" Yes unfortunately we have to have a license to even go the the range."

Is this true? I go to my gun club about every other weekend to shoot my pistol and I don't have my CC license yet. Am I breaking some (completely stupid if it's true) law? I am transporting it while it's unloaded and Ikeep all the clips empty untilI get to my shooting stall. My club's rules are All firearms are to be in a case and unloaded UNLESS you possess a carry permit. When I lived in MI it's100%legal to transport firearms without aconcealed weapon permit as long as the gun isNOT loaded and the ammo is separate. I guess this is what I'm used to and that's how I treat it here. If anyone knows the correct answer please share.

Thanks

Post imported post

Glock19Dude wrote:
    I had seen this quote from someone on here and was wondering about this......

" Yes unfortunately we have to have a license to even go the the range."

Is this true? I go to my gun club about every other weekend to shoot my pistol and I don't have my CC license yet. Am I breaking some (completely stupid if it's true) law? I am transporting it while it's unloaded and Ikeep all the clips empty untilI get to my shooting stall. My club's rules are All firearms are to be in a case and unloaded UNLESS you possess a carry permit. When I lived in MI it's100%legal to transport firearms without aconcealed weapon permit as long as the gun isNOT loaded and the ammo is separate. I guess this is what I'm used to and that's how I treat it here. If anyone knows the correct answer please share.

Thanks
    You're not in Michigan, you're in Indiana. Michigan's law is irrelevant, regardless of what you're used to. With only a couple of VERY SPECIFIC EXCEPTIONS, you cannot transport a handgun in Indiana without a license. It doesn't matter if it's loaded or broken down into its component parts.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

(Here are the exceptions):
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

None of the above applies to taking it to the range. In fact, that's why Indiana has a "Target and Hunting License". Yes, it's stupid. It's still the law.

Post imported post

I know I'm not in MI (trust me I wish I still was) but that's beside the point.....

When I was filling out my carry permit I remember seeing the "Target and Hunting License" reason for applying. I guess I didn't give it much thought because I wasn't getting a permit just to take it to the range. But then again, I didn't know that was required. Well I guess I've been breaking the law countless times around here then basically every time I go to the range. It's a ridiculous law (in my opinion)I guess I just don't understand why you can legally buy a handgun and then have to get a license just to shoot it at the range!That's one of the dumbest laws I've heard of.

Thanks for the info Skippy

Post imported post

Their reasoning if you think about it is valid (If they are going to require a permit at all) and I can see whyyou would need one to go to the range. Any person found with a weapon in there car could ALWAYS say........:PI was just heading to the range! Some of us belong to ranges that are open 24 hrs a day 365 or they could say they were going to practice some low light shooting. Requiring a permit kinda gets in the way of these excuses.

Post imported post

I finally go my CCL in Indiana, but before that, I had broken this law a few times also. I was once stopped by a LEO, who was very empathetic to my situation. I told him I had already applied for my CCL, but wanted to become proficient with my weapons before carryingthem around. He checked the weapons to ensure they were unloaded, ran my license, then told me to be on my way. I think LEO's respect a little honesty... I could have just not mentioned the fact that there were 5 handguns and 3,000 rounds of ammo in the trunk, but that would have gone south in a hurry had he come across any reason to search the vehicle. Most IN police officer's are leniant as long as you're truthful with them. (IMHO)

Post imported post

Anderson, IN wrote:
    Their reasoning if you think about it is valid (If they are going to require a permit at all) and I can see whyyou would need one to go to the range. Any person found with a weapon in there car could ALWAYS say........:PI was just heading to the range! Some of us belong to ranges that are open 24 hrs a day 365 or they could say they were going to practice some low light shooting. Requiring a permit kinda gets in the way of these excuses.
    Well, with a permit you do nothing more than reduce a right down to a privilege.

I find it rather odd that in IN, you require no training and can carry everywhere except on school property (unless you are waiting in your car for your child). Seems they are in it more for the money than for actual protection.

And no, I don't agree with requiring permits or training for my 2nd Amendment, God given right to defend my life.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)