Thread: Detroit IHOP - Criminal Empowerment Zone

Post imported post

Another place I won't be returning to.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...333/1409/rss36
    No guns, just pancakes at Jefferson Avenue IHOP
    Midnight hours, rowdy patrons cause restaurant to introduce security team

I can't decide if the sign at the East Jefferson Avenue IHOP is reassuring, but there's no question it's a sign of the times.
    It's bolted to a wall outside the front door. "THIS IHOP IS A PISTOL FREE ZONE," it declares, "WITH THE EXCEPTION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT." Then it politely adds, "THANK YOU."
    Personally, I have never felt the need to tote a Smith & Wesson to a place that serves me Bacon & Eggs. And call me naïve, but it's never occurred to me that my fellow diners might have revolvers tucked in the waistbands of their pants.
    There's apparently a difference, though, between my dining experience and the IHOP's retail experience. So keep your junk in the trunk, customers, and would you like those hash browns extra-crispy?
    Advertisement

"Here's the thing," says Raymond Jefferson, one of the managers at Detroit's only International House of Pancakes. He's being polite, but what he really means is, "Here's the reality, you poor, sheltered suburbanite."
    "We run a midnight shift over the weekend," he continues -- from 6 a.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday, the doors stay open -- and at 4 a.m., the customers did not just come from church.
    Once the bars close, "you get all kinds of people in here," Jefferson says. "When you have drunk people, things can happen. The easiest way to handle it is to head it off at the pass."
    On the overnight shifts Friday and Saturday, a former cop leads a security team that wields metal-detecting wands. At a tonier address, customers might be spared the few seconds of inconvenience, but in the wee hours in the city, it's the price you pay for food that doesn't spin out from behind Plexiglas.
    You want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. "I tell people, 'If you're complaining, that means you've got something to hide,' " Jefferson says.
    The restaurant sits at 2701 E. Jefferson Ave., just east of Chene. It's the same IHOP that Anita Baker's ex-husband, Walter Bridgforth Jr., tore down a historic building to put up.
    He later sold it, which means I'll go there now, and I can tell you I've never found a bad meal or an unfriendly employee on the premises.
    I typically show up for lunch, when the checkpoint at the door is not in force. I might have to stop back in the wee hours, though, just to hear some hard case with a Glock in his glove box say, "Yes, please, I'd like the Rooty Tooty Fresh 'n Fruity."

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

If ever there was a "good" place to OC an AR/AK/FN FAL/12G....it's this place.

Post imported post

oops. I posted the same story. Another clueless manager. I hope they go out of business.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    If ever there was a "good" place to OC an AR/AK/FN FAL/12G....it's this place.
    I see you noticed it was a "pistol free zone". I was thinking the same thing.

Post imported post

we've done a few ihop events now...isntthey're corporate policy to follow state law,if so...corporate might have a few not so kind words for them.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    we've done a few ihop events now...isntthey're corporate policy to follow state law,if so...corporate might have a few not so kind words for them.
    Perhaps a customer who has a negative experience there would be the one corporate would listen to?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

You want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. "I tell people, 'If you're complaining, that means you've got something to hide,' " Jefferson says.
    Orly?

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-18-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Banned

Post imported post

at least it wasnt somewhere too good, Ihops food is ok but its absolutely horrible for you (most of it anyways) hopefully someone will talk to corporate about it and it will get straightened out

Post imported post

You know where I've never had a problem OCing and is four times as good?

The Original Pancake House on Woodward in Birmingham.

Fantastic!

I recommend the Bacon Pancakes/Waffles!

And it has the added bonus now of saying you to this IHOP