• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hurriyet Daily News (ISTANBUL) - Turkish gun shops go from back alley to mall

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

More evidence that international interest in gun rights is rising.

---

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=a-8216world8217-of-guns-and-then-some-2010-04-11

SNIP

Turkish gun shops go from back alley to mall
a-8216world8217-of-guns-and-then-some-2010-04-11_l.jpg

Ebru R. Tekin is executive director at a firm seeking to make gun stores mainstream by establishing malls to cater to gun lovers.

. . .

A glitzy gun shop visible from the mall food court would have been a rare sight in Turkey until recently, as guns were mostly sold at small establishments tucked away in back alleys or industrial neighborhoods.

The vast Silah Dünyası (Gun World) stores, however, are designed to attract attention.

The first chain store in Turkey to specialize in guns, security devices and hunting and hobby equipment, Gun World was founded in 2003. It currently has two locations in Istanbul, but also plans to expand into Ankara, Bursa and İzmir.

. . .

According to Tekin, company founder Okan Arsan saw a gap in the sector that was forcing higher-class shoppers to go abroad in order to buy guns. Gun World sees it as its mission to better the image of gun use in Turkey, the firm’s executive director said.

“Instead of shooting outdoors irresponsibly, our customers can use our shooting range and benefit from the training we offer in a secure environment without hurting anybody,” Tekin added.

. . .

Gun laws in Turkey

In general, Turkish law divides firearms into two categories. Rifles and handguns have spiral grooves in their barrels, which imparts a spin to a projectile around its long axis. This spin serves to stabilize the projectile gyroscopically, improving its aerodynamic stability and accuracy. Shotguns, however, are simpler; they are generally smoothbore firearms, meaning that the inside of the barrels are not rifled, so there is a shorter range and less accuracy.

Because of all the complexities of gun ownership, Gun World employs two lawyers on staff simply to offer advice to customers, the company said.

All Turkish citizens over the age of 25 have the right to buy and possess firearms, though criteria vary; regulations are different, for example, depending on whether the prospective buyer is working, retired or an active civil servant and what he or she intends to do with the weapon.

Foreigners with residence or work permits in Turkey also have the right to buy rifles and handguns if they fit certain criteria.

A shotgun is the easiest type of gun to obtain; Turkish citizens must be over 18 and have no criminal record, while foreigners simply need a valid passport.

According to Tekin, 80 percent to 90 percent of gun crimes in Turkey are committed with unregistered firearms. She criticized the bureaucratic process required to legally acquire a gun license, saying that the red tape encourages people to obtain unlicensed guns that are cheaper and faster to purchase.

. . .

It is a man’s world, but...

On the subject of women and guns, Tekin said Gun World also has female customers, but “women like to arm themselves more for the aim of defense.”

Women generally come to the store and the shooting range with their husbands; few visit on their own, she added, noting that she herself had little involvement with weaponry before she was hired for the job, although she occasionally hunted with her father.

“[Women] come alone when they are buying a Valentine’s Day or birthday gift for their husbands or boyfriends, but we are a bit of a men’s store; to tell you the truth,” she said. “Eighty percent of the customer profile consists of men.”

The sector as a whole is dominated by men, she added. “I attended a dealers’ meeting recently and was the only woman among 15 men,” Tekin said, noting that people are sometimes surprised to see a woman in her position.

“Actually, I can feel that they perceive me in a ‘what is a woman doing here?’ kind of way; I can feel that,” she said. “However, Turkey is changing, one must get used to that. Women are everywhere now.”

. . .

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

On the trigger or off the trigger is fine, whatever works for you.

Some people are anal about "safety" which often is highly overrated anyway (can't stand to go to gun ranges myself, mainly for that reason). Check out troops in a combat zone and see how many "safety rules" are ignored. Andduring my time in that environment, no one had any accidents...only the enemy was in danger.

I'm just saying that IMO, she can carry that handgun any way she wants to...and we cando the samewith ours.

-- John D.

P.S. Perhaps it's only Americans who are so concerned about saftety trivia, "rules of engagement" and other such stuff (like large caliber handguns being the only REAL handgun to carry). I don't think the restof the armed world (or their military) cares about that BS. And from what I can tell, it hasn't caused them any harm (except to the people they point their guns at). ;)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
The world is a-changing.
Strange to see the contrast in a country like Turkey compared to say the UK.

But even the UK is seeing some gun rights resurgence. This is not the first International rumbling for gun rights in recent years, e.g.:

Brazil; October, 2005: NPR - Brazilian Voters Reject Bid to Ban Guns ("Brazilian voters have overwhelmingly rejected a measure to ban gun sales").

India; January, 2010: Deccan Herald - Citizens can't be cowards, can kill in self defence: SC ("A person cannot be expected to act in a cowardly manner when faced with an imminent threat to life and has got every right to [use a firearm] kill the aggressor in self defence, the Supreme Court has held. . . . The apex court said the right to protect one's own person and property against the unlawful aggressions of others is a right inherent in man").

Russia; January, 2010: RT - Ordinary Russians arm themselves for protection ("More and more Russians choose to take their protection in their own hands, as they buy guns and obtain permits for them").

Egypt; February, 2010: Kipp Report - "Egyptians are confronting a violent crime wave with a decidedly American approach: buying guns"

UK; April, 2010: Politics.co.uk - Strong growth in shotgun and firearms ownership ("There has been a surge in new shotgun and firearm certificates issued by the police . . . The number of registered firearms dealers is now also at its highest since 1988").

Austrailia; April, 2010: Austrailian broadcasting System - WA pastoralists allowed to have handguns ("WA Police Minister Rob Johnson says the government is acting to amend gun legislation which will allow pastoralists and farmers access to handguns (Category H firearms), provided they can justify the need to have them").

ISRAEL

imported post

You can put El Salvador, you will need a background check, and if every thing is ok. you can buy guns there, I gotone when I was 14 y.o.(that was long time ago) , "La Mara Salvatrucha is getting bad and the goberment or police etc. are not doing anything to get rid of it.