• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Shop, No Loaded Guns, No Exceptions!

Bruser 160

imported post

My friend and I were just in Great Lakes Gun Shop here in Lapeer, and in big letters on the door it states,"No loaded guns, No exceptions." I find this offensive for a gun shop to have this rule. It`s not going to deter crime in any way, as we all know. I just wanted to let everyone know about this.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

DanM

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Sorry, No Business for you, No Exceptions.

+1,000

That'sroughly the amount of dollars I spend on average in a yearonammo, targets,range fees, guns, and all sorts of other gun gear and supplies I get from gun stores/ranges that DO NOT schizophrenically sell you itemswhich they then prohibit you from using in lawful ways.

lapeer20m

imported post

hmmm.

i've been there a few times and either carried openly, or concealed poorly (half concealed.) I either never noticed the sign, or it's new. The staff never said anything to me.

Maybe i'll stop in and have a chat with them.

thefirststrike

imported post

Bruser 160 wrote:
My friend and I were just in Great Lakes Gun Shop here in Lapeer, and in big letters on the door it states,"No loaded guns, No exceptions." I find this offensive for a gun shop to have this rule. It`s not going to deter crime in any way, as we all know. I just wanted to let everyone know about this.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

We have a store here in Moscow, Idaho, called Tri-State Distributors, which started as an Army Surplus store. They stock and sell several hundred firearms, as well as all manner of hunting, fishing, and camping supplies. They are also an Ace Hardwaredealer.We are located in a college town, in a town that is often described as being the most liberal in Idaho.

I was told many months ago by the sporting goods manager that they do not allow open carry in their store. I had heard that from other area OC'ers, but decided to test it for myself. When I asked why a store that sell guns and started as an Army surplus store would not allow OC, I was informed that other customers had complained about being "uncomfortable" when seeing OC'ers in the store.

Although it is one of the only stores in this small town for many of the items one would want to buy, I now refuse to shop ther unless I know I just can't get it anywhere else. I have been in there recently for a few things during their Dutch Auction sale where they give big discounts for older merchandise (I got a new pair of wading boots for fishing and some lures), but aside from that I do not shop there regularly anymore. Sad, because it used to be my favorite store.

I have also decided to send them letters/notices when I spend money on stuff I could have gotten there, letting them know how much money their store lost out on for that purchase.

Dave R

bruiser 160

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
hmmm.

i've been there a few times and either carried openly, or concealed poorly (half concealed.) I either never noticed the sign, or it's new. The staff never said anything to me.

Maybe i'll stop in and have a chat with them.
My friend pointed it out to me today. That`s the first that I have seen it as I have been in there a few times. Too bad to, they seem to have some fair prices on pistols. You can`t miss the notice though. The letters are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.

lapeer20m

imported post

I just came from Great Lakes Gun Shop and the information posted is either incorrect, or their sign has been changed.

The sign currently reads:

[align=center]NOTICE:

CPL HOLDERS
PLEASE DO NOT
UNHOLSTER YOUR
LOADED GUNS IN
THIS BUILDING

NO EXCEPTIONS

[/align][align=left]Although the signage does not refer explicitly to open carry, I have open carried in there every time i have visited with no issues. Except today, i did not carry because i thought they prohibited loaded firearms.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
4528925030_6316c706a0_o.jpg

[/align]

DanM

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
The sign currently reads:

[align=center]NOTICE:

CPL HOLDERS
PLEASE DO NOT
UNHOLSTER YOUR
LOADED GUNS IN
THIS BUILDING

NO EXCEPTIONS
[/align]

Hmmm . . . I guess folks lawfully carrying without a CPL are free to unholster their loaded guns in thebuildingas they please. These guys arevery curiously hands-off with non-CPL holders. :)

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems like they are trying to find the right wording. If they removed the "CPL Holders" from the notice, it would convey what I think they are trying to convey to the public :) At least there is no more signage saying you cannot bring a loaded weapon in anymore.

lapeer20m

imported post

I think the guys at this gun shop are good people. I have found them to be friendly and respectful every time i have been there. It could be that the concept of open carry hasn't even occurred to them.

I will gladly spend my money at this place.

The reason they posted the original sign apparently is that multiple people have unholstered and pointed loaded firearms at the store employees while shopping for a holster or whatever. Having a person point a loaded weapon at you should evoke a powerful response. I think they should be commended for changing their sign to get ride of the no loaded weapons rule.

I do not believe they are opposed to open carry, as i have oc'd in the store on multiple occasions without them saying a word. Keep in mind the store is about the size of a 2 car garage, so it's not really possible to "hide" I'm certain they noticed my holstered sidearm.

MK

imported post

Its sad that a store has to put up signs reminding people not to brandish weapons in their store, but its obvious it has to be done in some instances and I applaud this business for taking that extra step to do so. It's incredibly reckless for a patron of a store to pull a gun out of a holster for any reason without first seeking and being granted permission to do so at the very least. At best it now leaves the employee to only guess at what the intent could be or wait for the next action to judge this by and gives them very little time to react.

I could not fault an employee for taking immediate defensive measures should some idiot decide to brandish their weapon in a gun store because seconds count. Good thing that this sort of person is an anomaly and not the norm amongst those that decide to legally carry their firearms in public.