• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TV shows that blew

bigdaddy1

imported post

Remember in the 70's and 80's, when guns were bad?

Shows like the A team, where they would fire 10,000 rounds and not hit anyone?

What other shows do you remember that were totaly stupid when it came to firearms?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The Andy Griffith show... Mayberry or whateverthehell it was called. Don Knotts character had an unloadedrevolver 'n if I recall... he had a bullet in his pocket for it. Andy Griffith was the unarmed Sheriff.

Superlite27

imported post

The show "Criminal Minds".

I've never seen a positive light shed on private firearm ownership. The cops in the show wave guns around and point them at any and everything.

One of the two times I watched the show, they were investigating something or other and they had to go to Texas...where they encountered a guy open carrying!

Of course, he turned out to be the bad guy they were looking for! (BTW Open Carry isn't legal in Texas, but when they first encounter him, they don't arrest him for it.)

It might have been the same episode, but in one segment, they find some brass at a crime scene and we get this:

"Look. It's a 7.62 round. That's military. We're looking for a guy who owns an assault rifle."

I thought .308 Winchester was the same as 7.62 X 51? Evidently, in the world of "Criminal Minds", there's no such thing as a bolt action .308 rifle.

BTW, how many assault rifles fire 7.62x 51as opposed to other rounds such as 5.56, 223, 7.62 x 39?

Oh, and the bad guy they were looking for had to own the rifle, he couldn't have stole it or just got it from somewhere else, or had just been using it, they were looking for a "guy who owns an assault rifle".

Because we all know, those who own assault rifles are all criminals, huh?

slowfiveoh

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The Andy Griffith show... Mayberry or whateverthehell it was called. Don Knotts character had an unloadedrevolver 'n if I recall... he had a bullet in his pocket for it. Andy Griffith was the unarmed Sheriff.
Hrmm,

Andy was armed usually. He also had an enormous row of rifles on the wall, and on many, many occasions he would draw one.

Also, citizens carryin firearms around Mayberry never bothered him much. In fact, there was an episode where two fathers were warring families, and their kids had decided to get married, so Andy told them to have a shootout.

Guess he knew they just couldn't do it, hehe. As the "referee" he "checked" both weapons, back turned to the shooters, and "made sure the shotguns were armed" (He removed the shells out of both shotguns, hehe) and gave em back.

I get the Barney reference though. Let's just remember Barney occasionally did well as a police officer, with no loaded firearm, in a town where carryin firearms was acceptable.

That's how I saw it.

:celebrate

Sonora Rebel

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Hrmm,

Andy was armed usually. He also had an enormous row of rifles on the wall, and on many, many occasions he would draw one.

Also, citizens carryin firearms around Mayberry never bothered him much. In fact, there was an episode where two fathers were warring families, and their kids had decided to get married, so Andy told them to have a shootout.

Guess he knew they just couldn't do it, hehe. As the "referee" he "checked" both weapons, back turned to the shooters, and "made sure the shotguns were armed" (He removed the shells out of both shotguns, hehe) and gave em back.

I get the Barney reference though. Let's just remember Barney occasionally did well as a police officer, with no loaded firearm, in a town where carryin firearms was acceptable.

That's how I saw it.
You watched that way more than I did... (just checked)... "first televised by CBS between October 3, 1960 and April 1, 1968." Oh... no wonder. I was much the time 'gone' in those years. (Forward deployed or on detachments).

bigdaddy1

imported post

Actually Andy was usually unarmed, but would "gun up" when the situation called for it. And yes there was the rack of several rifles behind his desk.

Barney was incompetent, that's why he was not allowed to carry a loaded weapon.

I remember a movie once, where some thugs were going after some private eye. The PIyells to one of his associates to "get the HEATER!". The thugs hear this and say "look out, they got a gun". Then a water heater comes crashing down the steps at them. Stupid but funny

slowfiveoh

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
You watched that way more than I did... (just checked)... "first televised by CBS between October 3, 1960 and April 1, 1968." Oh... no wonder. I was much the time 'gone' in those years. (Forward deployed or on detachments).
No sir, I wasn't even alive during those days. I have watched a ton of re-runs. Probably almost every episode....if that qualifies for anything at all in life. lol!

Good to hear you made it back though man, and thanks for fighting the fight in a war nobody understood, and for a population that wasn't ready to acknowledge your sacrifices.

eye95

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Hrmm,

That's how I saw it.

:celebrate
Do you really want Barney carrying? He's way too hinkey. Put a loaded gun in his hand, and it is going off in God knows what direction! Isn't that one of the reasons you can be denied gun ownership? Hinkeyness? :uhoh:

slowfiveoh

imported post

Surely Barneys UOC activities could be referenced to show how "hinky" UOC in general is, amirite?

:lol::uhoh:

PT111

imported post

Ther was one show where an escaped criminal said to be armed and dangerous was in the Mayberry area. Andy handed Barney a box of ammo and told him to load it up. When there was a need for a gun both Andy and Barney had one and did not hesitate to make it known. Barney was like some other people and couldn't keep his hands off his gun so Andy just didn't allow him to keep it loaded unless he needed it. Andy's portrayal of a small town sheriff (I don't remember what county they were supposed to be in but towns in NC don't have sheriffs) was probably closer to reality than anything else on TV.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What kinda gun forum is this anyway? Everybody's yakking about Barney Fife's carry; but noooooobody istalking aboutwhat kinda gun he carried.

An' y'all caller yerselves gunners. I can get better conversation than this on the Ruger or Smith forum. Sheeesh.

:D

Dreamer

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

There are SIX counties here in NC that have candidates for Sheriff in this fall's election who are convicted felons:
  1. Avery County former Sheriff Robert “Nub” Taylor (obstruction of justice)
  2. Clevelend County -- David Morrow (drug conviction)
  3. Davidson County -- former Sheriff Gerald Hege (obstruction of justice and corruption)
  4. McDowell County -- Mark Stewart (selling and possessing drugs)
  5. Washington County -- former Sheriff Stanley James (embezzlement)
  6. Wilkes County former Sheriff (reported in the news, but I can't find any info)
If these three jokers win, there will be three Sheriffs in NC who are "prohibited persons" and will not be allowed to own, carry, or even posses a firearm. Kinds of makes you wonder how they are going to do that legally. I guess they won't be allowed to keep the keys to their own armory on their keychains. And oddly enough, NONE of them could actually be legally hired as Deputies, but they CAN be Sheriffs...

However, the NC Sheriffs Association and the NC Senate is trying to stop this foolishness. There is a bill currently up for consideration in the legislature (Senate Bill 351) that would make a Constitutional Amendment that would prohibit convicted felons from holding the position of Sheriff. Hopefully it will pass.

Dreamer

imported post

Citizen wrote:
What kinda gun forum is this anyway? Everybody's yakking about Barney Fife's carry; but noooooobody istalking aboutwhat kinda gun he carried.

An' y'all caller yerselves gunners. I can get better conversation than this on the Ruger or Smith forum. Sheeesh.

:D

Barney's firearm was a Colt Police Positive, 4" barrel, chambered in .38 Special.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Ther was one show where an escaped criminal said to be armed and dangerous was in the Mayberry area. Andy handed Barney a box of ammo and told him to load it up. When there was a need for a gun both Andy and Barney had one and did not hesitate to make it known. Barney was like some other people and couldn't keep his hands off his gun so Andy just didn't allow him to keep it loaded unless he needed it. Andy's portrayal of a small town sheriff (I don't remember what county they were supposed to be in but towns in NC don't have sheriffs) was probably closer to reality than anything else on TV.

Towns don't. Counties do. Google Gerald Hege (sp?). He was one of the two toughest sheriffs in the country at one time. He also had a show on C-SPAN, called F-Block.

He was a corrupt SOB, but drug runners went a long way out of their way to stay out of Davidson county.

M

McX

imported post

alot of them sucked back in the day, but now can be found on all the retro tv channels, resurrected for your viewing disgust: bewitched, mr. ed, i dream of jeanie, batman, about the only thing that was good on tv then was a quinn/martin production!

remember the invaders? green hornet? now that by God, was real tv!