Thread: My Open Carry Vacation

Post imported post

From Thursday to Sunday I went on vacation for the first time in years. (Not one of those lame "staycations" I seem to take ever so often)

My journey took me from Durham, North Carolina to Richmond, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and Newport News, Virginia.

I open carried a recently purchased, well-loved Browning BDA 380/HP-DA in a soft nylon hip holster.

Glad to say I had little LEO interaction from the Virginia State Police, Richmond Police, the James City County Police, Williamsburg Police, or the Newport News Police -- in fact there was only two places I went that barred me from carrying: King's Dominion and Busch Gardens. (I didn't know King's Dominion actually had their own Police Department until now unlike Busch Gardens which just seems to use the James City County Police)

I stayed at the King's Creek Plantation (where they tried to sell me a timeshare that I declined) and OC'ed every day there.

Several restaurants in these areas did not scoff at me open carrying in their establishments.

JD's Chicken & Waffles in Richmond (honey chicken wings and buttery waffles? Oh yeah)

Bourbon Street Steak & Grill (felt good to open carry, heck... CARRY! in an establishment that served alcohol instead of my locking regiment that I engage in while in North Carolina) [the steak here was super lackluster though...]

Kroger

Astronomical Pancake & Waffle House (which they do live up to their name by the way!) [if you haven't been here when in Williamsburg, turn around and go back!]

Prime Outlet Stores of Williamsburg (Fossil, Converse, Nike, Perfumania, Bare Escentuals, Oakley)

Downtown Williamsburg

Angelo's Steak & Pancakes; Mystic Jamaica in Newport News

Nothing else to report except that Virginia was friendly. My wife wants to move to that area and so do I.

I wish I still had the pictures but I ruined the camera by deciding to ride all three water rides at Busch Gardens -- Log Flume, Pompeii, and Roman Rapids [where the damage was done!]

Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

Post imported post

Custodian wrote:
    I wish I still had the pictures but I ruined the camera by deciding to ride all three water rides at Busch Gardens -- Log Flume, Pompeii, and Roman Rapids [where the damage was done!]
    There's no way to get off that ride dry. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Exactly what part of Virginia were you considering moving to?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

As an expatriated North Carolinian, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here in Virginia. I've been here for 11 years now and can't see myself going back. I enjoy the right to keep and bear arms too much to leave now.

Post imported post

It's great that you had such a good experience in Virginia. I will be headed the opposite way to North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August. I hope I also have no issues.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Post imported post

thebigsd wrote:
    It's great that you had such a good experience in Virginia. I will be headed the opposite way to North Carolina (Outer Banks) in August. I hope I also have no issues.
    How do you carry on the beach?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Glad you enjoyed it Custodian - come back anytime, please.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Good question, so good I started a new thread about it in the General Discussion forum.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/42273.html

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    thebigsd wrote:
    ...and please, no pictures!

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    t33j wrote:
    thebigsd wrote:
    ...and please, no pictures!

A picture of me at the beach would require sunglasses to view. On another note, maybe my blinding white skin would keep people from seeing my gun.