• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC Experience

Monkeytown

imported post

So I decided to grow a pair and OC this past Saturday. Had to make a trip to Lowe's to pick up some parts for my deck refinishing project. Strapped on my G22, made sure it was exposed and off I went. I gotta say I was scared as @#$%^&!!! So nervous you probably could have seen my knees knocking if I stood still.

Guess what happened? NOTHING!! Never even noticed a turned head or second look. I am definitely going to be doing this more often, especially as the hot Alabama summer approachs. I want to thank all of you guys for sharing your experiences.

I'dlike to get aTri-County (Montgomery/Elmore/Autauga)OC Starbuck's thing going. If anyone is interested send me a PM. We can't let these B-ham boys have all the fun!!

Thanks again,

MT

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I just had the thought. If Starbucks' business picks up enough because of OC, maybe they will turn their 'neutral' stance into a 'positive' one. I know I never went there before, and I can't be the only one.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Way to go MT! It gets so much easier, but thatfirst little whileis nerve-wracking. I never stopped getting that rush of nervous excitement, and I hope I never do. It helps keep you aware of your surroundings.

I'd like to come down to one of your Montgomery meetups whenever you get em set.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
I just had the thought. If Starbucks' business picks up enough because of OC, maybe they will turn their 'neutral' stance into a 'positive' one. I know I never went there before, and I can't be the only one.

Before I started OCing I had never been to a Starbucks. I drink those cold coffee drinks in the jar from the local gas station which come from Starbucks, but had never been before.

They have gotten my business! I stopped making coffee at home and drink Starbucks 2-8 times per week! So does my wife! I'm helping make up the business they may have lost from the anti gun people.

eye95

imported post

I was at Starbuck's today. Where were you? ;) I've only been to SB twice, and only since I've been OCing. (I don't drink coffee.)

We can start a SB-Sunday here. When we get it going, we can do a meetup with B'ham and Wiregrass OCers.

Today, I petted a little friendly yip-yip, the owner noticed my 1911 and commented that he felt safer while there was a MWAG! It's nice to know that I am helping folks achieve their "right to feel safe." :lol:

Oh, and I am going to create a WWAG tonight. It's our anniversary, and I bought the little woman her own handgun. I don't know that she's comfortable enough yet to carry, but MPD offers a familiarization course for free. If she takes it, maybe she'll OC.

[edited to bold the following]

So, whaddaya say? Sunday, Noon, Starbuck's on Eastern Blvd? Or, another time/place?

Monkeytown

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
Way to go MT! It gets so much easier, but thatfirst little whileis nerve-wracking. I never stopped getting that rush of nervous excitement, and I hope I never do. It helps keep you aware of your surroundings.

I'd like to come down to one of your Montgomery meetups whenever you get em set.

I know what you mean. My head was on a swivel the whole time. I was looking around for horrified women and children and some anti on the phone to the 5-O. Maybe they didn't go in to panic mode b/c I had my 3 y/o with me. Not likely to start shooting up a place with a toddler in tow. I was really surprised he didn't say something like "Daddy you got your gun on" real loud in the middle of the store.

Once we get something going here I'll be sure to let y'all know. We can visit each others stomping grounds every now and then. I have a least one guy from Prattville (saw a post of mine onDefensiveCarry.com) that wants to meet up.

MT

Monkeytown

imported post

TheKing wrote:
Suprised you didn't have any issues, Wetumpka PD is short on stuff to do.

They do protect 231 from the occasional speeder!! :cuss:

You should join us on Sunday for OC @ Starbucks. See the Montgomery Starbucks thread.

MT