• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting Firearms in a Gun Safe?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So I'm young and only moved out of my mom's house less than 3 years ago. When I was there, she made me buy a gun safe to keep all my guns locked up. When I moved, I didn't think I'd have room for this safe so I left it there. Well I think I'll have room, or I'll make room and I want to bring it to my place. There are still 2 guns in this case, a deer rifle and a .22 rifle. Can we transport that safe with the 2 guns in it? Or would I have to go there sometime with a couple gun cases to take them out. Would just be easier if I could have her throw it in her SUV next time she comes to see me. This is a small 8-gun safe from Wal-Mart.

Doesn't really matter either way, but just easier if I didn't have to take the guns out. Especially if I had to put them in my car, as the safe and 2 rifle cases might not fit.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Unless the firearms are secured inside the safe, I would think they would fall around in there and possible get damaged.

Take them out, move the safe empty, put them back in. Again, so they don't get damaged.

phred

imported post

I agree with:

Unless the firearms are secured inside the safe, I would think they would fall around in there and possible get damaged. Take them out, move the safe empty, put them back in. Again, so they don't get damaged.

However, if they'll fit, you can put the guns back in their individual cases and then into the safe to protect them in transit Make sure the guns are unloaded. Padding of some sort inside the safe would buffer them to prevent injury.

The safe sure seems to fit the description of a legally enclosed container - specifically made for a firearm.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would tend to agree, gun safe should be legal for transport as long as they are unloaded. Myh only concern would be as stated, falling (bouncing) around inside damaging the firearm somehow.

Tree_Planter

imported post

This is not legal advice:

The general answer is if you can legally transport the guns when they are not in the safe, putting them securely in the safe is no less legal.

Unfortunately, our legal system is complex, and it is possible to contrive a situation where the law is somehow broken, especially since you involve third parties.

Statute 167.31 covers transportation. It basically states the case must be made for the purpose of holding a firearm, completely closed, the firearm must be unloaded, and no part of the firearm may be exposed.
http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=167.31

Other statutes also apply, such as age 948.60, prohibition from possession 941.29, and so forth. Use common sense and good judgment.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brad_Krause wrote:
Man I just love that signature. Saw it last night and just started laughing. Had to show my fiance (then refresh her on what happened to you).

I think the firearms should be fine in this safe, but I'll probably just be on the safe side and bring a couple gun cases next time I go to my mom's.

But if I ever need to move, I'll most likely send the gun safe with the guns, but just pack some stuff in it to keep them from shaking around. I have about twice as many rifles as I do rifle cases.

That's for the replies. I was thinking about bringing the safe home yesterday while I was there and wasn't sure if that was legal. And figured even if I didn't do it now, I might want/need to in the future.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Here is the weird part of the WI transportation laws, If you have the guns unloaded andin the safewith it fully closed before placingthe safein the vehicle, you would not be breaking any laws.

BUT! if you put the safe in the car first, and then you want to put the guns inside of the safe, the guns will first need to be put into a separate case before being placed in the safe.

Why does this matter? because the few short moments while you are placing a an uncased gun into the safe that is already in the vehicle, you are breaking the law where agun cannot be in or on a vehicle unless unloaded andfully enclosed in a case specifically made to house a gun before being put in a vehicle. Even if you had a safe permanently bolted to the floor of a track, the way the law reads is that the gun must first be cased before being put into another container. Goofy shitt, isn't it?

hunter9mm

imported post

logan wrote:
So I'm young and only moved out of my mom's house less than 3 years ago. When I was there, she made me buy a gun safe to keep all my guns locked up. When I moved, I didn't think I'd have room for this safe so I left it there. Well I think I'll have room, or I'll make room and I want to bring it to my place. There are still 2 guns in this case, a deer rifle and a .22 rifle. Can we transport that safe with the 2 guns in it? Or would I have to go there sometime with a couple gun cases to take them out. Would just be easier if I could have her throw it in her SUV next time she comes to see me. This is a small 8-gun safe from Wal-Mart.

Doesn't really matter either way, but just easier if I didn't have to take the guns out. Especially if I had to put them in my car, as the safe and 2 rifle cases might not fit.
"Would just be easier if I could have her throw it in her SUV "
Now I think this is the part Logan is talking about being easier..... :what::what::what::what: (J/K)

Seriously, if the guns mean anything to you, I certainly would case them prior to having MOM (I just love that part, cause my son moved out recently, left a lot of his stuff, and constantly asks me to bring it over to him in my truck as well) throw the safe in her SUV. Take a trip over , give your Mom a hug (maybe buy her some flowers too!)and case your rifles so they don't get ruined!!! (Please take this as though I'm sitting here laughing, not being a prick telling you what to do!)