• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your worst experience while carrying openly?

Aaron1124

imported post

During your experience openly carrying your firearm, what, if any, was your worst encounter, and how did you handle it?

I use to open carry, but now carry concealed. I've been a firearm owner for many years, and have probably only open carried about roughly 10 times, but two of those times involved me getting hassled.

It surprises me now, considering I read many open carry stories on the Washington forum, and rarely, if ever, do people get bothered or hassled by people. The two stores in which posed a problem were Target and Walmart, and I'm talking about two and a half years back.

I was carrying in Target in Tukwila, WA, and had intended on just running in and grabbing a couple of items, and I suddenly hear a holler from a man who presented himself as some sort of manager or supervisor. I have no idea what his name was. He asked if I was an off duty officer. I responded with "Nope" and continued walking (I was in a bit of a hurry) and then he told me that I can not bring my "loaded weapon" in the store unless I was a police officer. I didn't really have the time to start arguing with him about the law, but I did tell him it was "legal, by the way", and politely asked if I could simply pick up what I came for, check out, and leave. He told me that wouldn't be a problem, but informed me to "Please leave the weapon in the vehicle" next time. I just gave him a nod and a smile, and went on my way.

I later wrote a letter, made a copy, and sent one to the target store itself, and one to the main office.

The other time was a little later - around Christmas time of '08. I went in to Walmart, and immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) the door greater told me that I can't bring a gun in to the store. This time I wasn't in such a rush, but I wasn't in the mood to sit and argue either. I don't like doing that, especially when people have a thick head, and don't even bother reading what the law actually says. I asked him if I could speak with a manager about that, and he actually refused me the first time, and told me to leave. I again, politely asked if I could speak with the manager before leaving. I told him if not, that's fine, but I'd appreciate speaking with the store manager, if they're available.

At this point, he left, and minutes later, came back with someone who introduced himself as an "assistant manager". He asked if he could help me.

I briefly explained the situation, and asked if it's against their policies to carry in their store. He said "Oh! I apologize! I wouldn't have even noticed you were carrying! Actually it's not. We get people in here regularly with their firearm. We get many customer complaints, but that's typical. It's not a problem as long as it stays holstered!"

Of course, by the time that conversation was done, it was about 20 minutes in to what could have been 5 minutes.

Jayd1981

imported post

Aaron, while you have the right to open carry a pistol, the store has the right to refuse you service because of that pistol. If they tell you that you can't be in their store with a loaded gun, then it is your responsibility to leave. Now with the walmart greeter, I would have asked for the manager for clarification with their policy. But it does become illegal if the owner of private property does not want citizens with firearms there.

Aaron1124

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
Aaron, while you have the right to open carry a pistol, the store has the right to refuse you service because of that pistol. If they tell you that you can't be in their store with a loaded gun, then it is your responsibility to leave. Now with the walmart greeter, I would have asked for the manager for clarification with their policy. But it does become illegal if the owner of private property does not want citizens with firearms there.
Oh yeah, that's very understandable. That's why I asked if it was possible to speak with the manager before I left. Fortunately I was able to, because it cleared some things up. Just a complete waste of my time had I been in a hurry.

antispam540

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
It does not become illegal if the owner of private property doesn't want guns there (if it's a place open to the public). If they ask you to leave and you refuse, THEN you get charged with trespassing, but carrying the gun still isn't illegal.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

"Worst experience while open carrying?"

Having to unload and tie the action to get into a WAC show:uhoh:... (where's that "beating a dead horse smiley???)

-G20

Aaron1124

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Jayd1981 wrote:
It does not become illegal if the owner of private property doesn't want guns there (if it's a place open to the public). If they ask you to leave and you refuse, THEN you get charged with trespassing, but carrying the gun still isn't illegal.
Yep. That's why I politely asked if I could speak with the manager before leaving. It's pretty bad if I can't even make it passed the door greeter! I don't know how much businesses and business employees have loosened up in the past couple of years, but I conceal carry now anyway.

Jayd1981

imported post

That can be frustrating not being able to make it past the greeter, however Walmart's corporate policy is that they honor the open carry laws in the state they are doing business. So in that case the manager would be in the wrong, I still wouldn't sit there and argue, but a letter to corporate office would definately be in order.

Aaron1124

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
That can be frustrating not being able to make it past the greeter, however Walmart's corporate policy is that they honor the open carry laws in the state they are doing business. So in that case the manager would be in the wrong, I still wouldn't sit there and argue, but a letter to corporate office would definately be in order.
The manager told me it's ok to carry in their store. It was the greeter who gave me grief.

PolskiG

imported post

"Worst experience?"

Being detained (pulled out of a moving car at gun point), harrassed and threaten to be arrested and charged with "warranting alarm" by redmond PD exactly a year ago today. Bitches scuffed my Omega Seamasterto, i think.

Outcome: let go at the scene, they claim that they couldn't get whom ever call on me to "press charges" but I think thats a lie since one of the officers put my gun in my car before the other one returned from talking to the "caller." sgt. Keurger apologized for his officers actions during asubseqent phone calland claimed his unit was re-trained because of my incident. he also assured me that I would not be detained in redmond "his city" as he called it ever again for OC.

not because of this incident, butnowi just half ass conceal which is soo much nicer then concealingor fully opening, only a couple people have noticed my printed weapon but they cansuck it for all I care.

geojohn

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Being detained (pulled out of a moving car at gun point), harrassed and threaten to be arrested and charged with "warranting alarm" by redmond PD exactly a year ago today.
PolskiG,

Did you happen to post here more information about this encounter? If so, I'll search some more, but if not, I'd find it interesting to know more details.

I like your current approach. I'm doing that more often these days.

PolskiG

imported post

geojohn wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Being detained (pulled out of a moving car at gun point), harrassed and threaten to be arrested and charged with "warranting alarm" by redmond PD exactly a year ago today.
PolskiG,

Did you happen to post here more information about this encounter? If so, I'll search some more, but if not, I'd find it interesting to know more details.

I like your current approach. I'm doing that more often these days.

Yeah its here somewhere, im not sure how to look it up. I didn't release much info at the time. The cops where @#$%s, so I treated them the same way but Lt Kreuger was really nice and I have noting but good things to say about him. He offered me the chioce to come down and meet with him to file a formal complaint but since I already had spoken with Randy Loun, is that the attorney that had a stroke? Wait, I think it was Attorney Mark s. Knapp

the attorney said that there wasnt much of acase. I was just really inconvienced, had some Glocks pointed at me, my gun was taken and serial number ran, my wallet was taken, I was cuffed, they made fun of me for open carrying, warrenting alarm blah blah, then in like 30 mins they had nothing and told me to get back in my car and leave. 3 officers,donthave names, real jerks.

I really don't what to get into details since I hate typing all that, I just hope others can OC now in redmond andhave no issues doing sobecause of what happen to me, thats all I wanted to see come out of this, so far so good huh?

I have no regrets

geojohn

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
I really don't what to get into details since I hate typing all that, I just hope others can OC now in redmond andhave no issues doing sobecause of what happen to me, thats all I wanted to see come out of this, so far so good huh?
Yes, and thanks for the additional info. It's too bad you had to go through that, but it's good to know that the higher-ups recognized that it was wrong corrected it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Port Orchard WalMart 3 years ago. An asst Mgr came up to me and said "you can't have that gun in here" I replied " just a second, and dialed the Corporate security mgr. ( had him on speed dial) Handed the phone to the mgr and said tell that to Jason. After about 3 seconds I received a very nice appology.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Looking down the barrel of Lt. Slodysko's Glock, illegally detained and arrested twice in that day, handcuffed baking in the sun, berated, made fun of, threatened, lied to.

Yep good ol' Bellingham PD.

amzbrady

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Port Orchard WalMart 3 years ago. An asst Mgr came up to me and said "you can't have that gun in here" I replied " just a second, and dialed the Corporate security mgr. ( had him on speed dial) Handed the phone to the mgr and said tell that to Jason. After about 3 seconds I received a very nice appology.
Whats the number, We should all have jason on speed dial.

Aaron1124

imported post

I carry concealed and I don't care if people open carry. In fact, I support it. If you're going to carry, carry in a way that is most suitable for you. I never understood why there was so much hate from both sides, toward each other.

Somehow I manage to conceal my Ruger P95, Taser C2 and O.C. Spray. (Only if I'm wearing a sweat shirt though.)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Whats the number, We should all have jason on speed dial.
Jason no longer works for Walmart in our area. However,

Joe McQueen - Walmart Market Office 757-471-1651
Cory Confer - Walmart Regional Marketing Office 570-821-6180
Robert Reck - Walmart Regional Marketing Office 570-821-6180
Walmart Chief Security PNW (Puyallup) 253-770-4399
Don Roseborough - PNW Regional Manager 360-657-1192