• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your worst experience while carrying openly?

Whatcom

Looking down the barrel of Lt. Slodysko's Glock, illegally detained and arrested twice in that day, handcuffed baking in the sun, berated, made fun of, threatened, lied to.

Yep good ol' Bellingham PD.

Oh man. That doesn't sound good. How are things in Bellingham/Surrounding areas as of today?

waterfowl woody

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:

"Worst experience while open carrying?"

Having to unload and tie the action to get into a WAC show... (where's that "beating a dead horse smiley???)

-G20

+1 million!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I've been OC'ing two+ years and my worst reaction was at the Thurston County fair. After talking to the SWAT team for 20 minutes at their child find booth, me and my kids started toward the exit. A member of the fair Board of execs (Older guy with cowboy hat, so did not appear anti to me) asked if I was a LEO. When I said no he said that some of the liberals might complain. I said no one (to include SWAT) has said anything in the past three hours that I've been there. He was like ok, but I bet I'm going to get some e-mails. That was the closest to a negative I've had. I've OC'd at my bank, bowling alley, liquor store, and even wearing a harness at an indoor climbing wall.

Trigger Dr

At the 2008 OC picnic at Long Lake in Kitsap. Two of the Sheriff deputies that stopped by were college classmates of mine, and I embarrased them due to their lack of knowledge re title 9.41. Some of you were there. (Jetpilot)
Have not yet had a bad encounter re OC.

OrangeIsTrouble

I've been OC'ing two+ years and my worst reaction was at the Thurston County fair. After talking to the SWAT team for 20 minutes at their child find booth, me and my kids started toward the exit. A member of the fair Board of execs (Older guy with cowboy hat, so did not appear anti to me) asked if I was a LEO. When I said no he said that some of the liberals might complain. I said no one (to include SWAT) has said anything in the past three hours that I've been there. He was like ok, but I bet I'm going to get some e-mails. That was the closest to a negative I've had. I've OC'd at my bank, bowling alley, liquor store, and even wearing a harness at an indoor climbing wall.

Add to my list of things to do, hit up REI (seattle) rockwall with a thigh rig!

25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg

sudden valley gunner

Oh man. That doesn't sound good. How are things in Bellingham/Surrounding areas as of today?
They don't like it but they shouldn't bother you. Even if they do the more the better and someone has to do it might as well be you. Just know you are not alone, we have a fine group of OC'ers in Bham.

Add to my list of things to do, hit up REI (seattle) rockwall with a thigh rig!

Cool I haven't been to the pinnacle in a few years. Never had a problem OC'ing at REI though.

acmariner99

Worst Experience OCing

Many of you know of this story -- I had a loon who didn't know how to act around a citizen try to grab my gun while calling me all sorts of obscenities and shouting to everybody that there was a "GUY WITH A GUN ... OH MY GOOOOOOOOD!" Thankfully he admitted he was acting like an ass. Still -- MAJOR FAIL there dude!

hermannr

1970 was an interesting year for me. I was introduced to OC, became a US citizen, our first daughter was born and WA became our official residence (purchased a home here)

Since 1970 have OC'd mostly. May CC in winter becasue I am wearing a coat, but normally OC.

In the 40+ years I have OC'd, into banks, stores, restaurants (yep, Costco too)...I have had one "experience" for good or bad, someone called me in as MWAG while shopping in Manson. I was loading my camper with the supplies I had purchased when the Chelan Co. Deputy showed up...Deputy "hunting?" Me "yep". end of encounter. Then the deputy went off to tell the caller there was nothing illegal going on...

We live in Okanogan County now (after 35 years in Skagit Co). Absolutely no-one even notices around here.

skiingislife725

Worst experience was last month at the Starbucks in Monroe. The three of us OCing got the boot because one OCer came in with his AR, a mega-sized walking stick (more like escrima stick times two), and was sweating profusely (read: just didn't seem to fit/unstable looking/etc). There's more to the story but I'll let slap tell it if he wants to.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Worst experience was last month at the Starbucks in Monroe. The three of us OCing got the boot because one OCer came in with his AR, a mega-sized walking stick (more like escrima stick times two), and was sweating profusely (read: just didn't seem to fit/unstable looking/etc). There's more to the story but I'll let slap tell it if he wants to.

WTH?

Who is this person that OC'd an AR into Starbucks?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
WTH?

Who is this person that OC'd an AR into Starbucks?

He is not a member of this board. Needless to say, this was the first time I had met him in person and probably the last. I support his right to carry as he wishes but do not wish to relate myself.

As a note, Starbucks kicked him out Skiing we are still welcome. I have audio that shows that Monroe PD called starbucks and told the manager that starbucks is a gun free zone (WTF?).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
He is not a member of this board. Needless to say, this was the first time I had met him in person and probably the last. I support his right to carry as he wishes but do not wish to relate myself.

As a note, Starbucks kicked him out Skiing we are still welcome. I have audio that shows that Monroe PD called starbucks and told the manager that starbucks is a gun free zone (WTF?).

How did this person find out about your meet?
I agree, he can carry as he wishes, but it is not for me in an urban setting.
The Monroe PD is ignorant.

fire suppressor

5-25-11

Yesterday I was thinking trying to get out to the range but waned to make sure I had enough rounds first so I walked into my friendly neighbourhood Walmart. I walked in with my XD out in all its glory out for all the world to see right past the overly aggressive borderline abusive man petitioning outside, past the gretter and strait back to the sporting goods section.

All went well up until this point, I told the salesman what I wanted as he unlocked the ammo and he seemed either blind to my gun or didn't care.
Just as he started to ring me up by chance the stores manager happened to be walking by, all of the sudden I herd "what are you doing! Don't do that!" The manager came over and told the salesman not to sell the bullets to me for his and mine own safety. Both he salesman and I had he same confused look on our face as we stared at the manager. The manager continued "once you sell that too him what's stopping him from loading up and shooting up the place". The salesman was speechless for a few seconds surprisingly then he came to my defence with "I'm pretty sure he's already loaded so whats the difference".
The three of us chatted for a few more minutes until the manager told me again for everyone's safety he would allow me to purchase the ammo in the sporting good section of the store and I would have to pick them up at register 14 on my way out the door.

My first thought was to give this guy a peace of my mind and ask to see corporate policy but instead I agreed to his terms and spent the next 20 min casually strolling through the store while he followed me at a distance obviously on the urge of a panic attack. I was extremely polite and well mannered the enter time showing him more tolerance than he showed me. I picked up a few more items I needed purchased them and picked my bullets up on the way out. The manager followed me all the way out of the door and part of the way to my car. I smiled, thanked him and drove off.

Justman1020

Worst experience OCing?

When i first got a serpa holster, and I got into my car, i pushed the holster into my hip against the seat belt catch, and it hurt...thats about it.

amlevin

5-25-11

The manager came over and told the salesman not to sell the bullets to me for his and mine own safety. Both he salesman and I had he same confused look on our face as we stared at the manager. The manager continued "once you sell that too him what's stopping him from loading up and shooting up the place".

At this point you say "what makes you think I carry an unloaded firearm?"

OC for ME

Worst one? Yesterday, Lowes, XD noticed by a local LEO. He told me that I was getting cement dust on my pistol, I was carrying a bag on my right shoulder. Then I got a short explanation on why a Glock is better, even after getting cement dust on it.

sudden valley gunner

Worst one? Yesterday, Lowes, XD noticed by a local LEO. He told me that I was getting cement dust on my pistol, I was carrying a bag on my right shoulder. Then I got a short explanation on why a Glock is better, even after getting cement dust on it.

LOL...reminds me of a time I was talking to a state trooper outside of Starbucks, it was raining, he started to ask if I CC on these days, and joked about how it doesn't matter I carry a glock.....:cool:.