• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding firearm for self defense and "proving innocence"

okboomer

imported post

And then, there are the LEO that are looking for a reason to write the ticket, issue the summons, handcuff you and haul you to jail, no matter what your answers.

I agree that it does have to be taken on a case-by-case basis ... if the officer is in a half-way decent mood, giving him a reason to laugh, stroking his ego just a little and you may be able to drive away with a warning rather than the ticket.

Of course, as a woman, I can generally get off with a warning when speeding ... as long as I immediately and completely admit to the infraction. I have been known to pull over when the HP going the other way flips his lights on, even before he gets turned around. Several times they have asked me why I did that, and each time I told him something along the lines of: "I saw you, looked down and realized that I was speeding, looked in the mirror and saw your lights come on, so I pulled over because I didn't want you to have to chase me. There is no way I want to contribute to you having a bad day or anything like that." Only one time this didn't work, but the officer told me that he had to write the ticket because we were still inside city limits.

This doesn't mean that I will not dispute an officer trying to buffalo me into admitting that I did something I didn't. One officer had me dead to rights on 5mph over, but he tried to say that I also crossed the double yellow line. I told him, "No sir, I did not! My left tires might have kissed the yellow line, but I absolutely did not cross it!" The only thing that I got was a warning for the crack in the windshield ... on the passenger side as interferring with drivers vision. Yep, I'll take that warning :lol:

When talking to my local PD, it depends on whether I have done anything wrong or not. Then, I will make a formal statement at their office, not write it up in the field. As it is, lately, I generally have video or audio to support my position. I used to rely on witnesses, but I realized that I would basically be at their mercy as far as what they remember, or if they have time to do it.

Also, if you have video or audio of something that LEO wants a statement from you about, I would suggest that you might want to consult an attorney before talking to LEO and never, never, NEVER let them have the original! Once that original leaves your hands (or your attorneys') you will not be able to testify in court that it is still in it's original state because you really don't know what kind of manipulation or editing might have been done while out of your control.

Nevada carrier

imported post

Obviously if you're smoking marijuana in your vehicle, especially with your children present, you should be arrested, and charged, as it's a clear violation.

The situation I described happened to someone who was pulled over driving his car late at night who does not and has never smoked weed. He could not get his daughter to fall asleep, but he knows that a car ride usually does the trick, so that's all he was doing.

The officer was simply fishing for someone to give him enough reason to trample their rights, probably subscribing to some asinine theory that "everyone is guilty of something, you just have to find out what it is."

And cops have no clue why 25 year old black men turn and walk the other way when they see them coming; guilty of a crime or not.

Aaron1124

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Obviously if you're smoking marijuana in your vehicle, especially with your children present, you should be arrested, and charged, as it's a clear violation.

The situation I described happened to someone who was pulled over driving his car late at night who does not and has never smoked weed. He could not get his daughter to fall asleep, but he knows that a car ride usually does the trick, so that's all he was doing.

The officer was simply fishing for someone to give him enough reason to trample their rights, probably subscribing to some asinine theory that "everyone is guilty of something, you just have to find out what it is."

And cops have no clue why 25 year old black men turn and walk the other way when they see them coming; guilty of a crime or not.
I have many officer friends who would never do that. In fact, I've never personally met an officer who fishes for ways to give tickets or criminal charge someone. I know they're out there, but I've never encountered any myself.

Aaron1124

imported post

Other reasons could be anything. You could be a witness to a crime. You could be a victim of a crime. There's many reasons why an officer may be asking you questions without trying to get you in trouble with the law.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Dont take it as a personal attack Aaron, many people have a distrust of the police. From when we were children and the police were the ultimate authroity then. If your going to become a cop, become a good one

buster81

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Other reasons could be anything. You could be a witness to a crime. You could be a victim of a crime. There's many reasons why an officer may be asking you questions without trying to get you in trouble with the law.
In either of the situations you describe, I'll give a statement to the police about what I saw or what happened. It will be on my terms, and in my words. After the statement is given, there will be no interrogation. I'm not interested in answering questions, so I won't.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I don't have a problem with cops in general, but I've seen a few in action that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. It all comes down to character. There are bad cops just like there are bad people, and you can't automatically assume every cop is a bad cop who is out to get you.

That said, I don't normally answer any questions, especially if I think I'm innocent, that could be used against me. I'm not the type to fight a speeding ticket, though, unless the cop lies and says I was going faster than I really was. If I'm pulled over it usually goes something like. "The speed limit is 70, do you know how fast you were going?" "Yes, sir. I think I was going about 83. Thank you for the ticket, sir. Have a nice day, sir." It would cost me more in time, aggravation, and guilt to try to fight a ticket I deserved than the money I would save. :uhoh:

Nevada carrier

imported post

I've never met a good cop, only cops who are more ore less honest than one another. I don't believe it when they say they're not given quotas to fill when it comes to ticket revenue. and I believe they are less interested in finding the guilty party than they are in finding someone that cant be proven innocent. I don't trust that when my life is on the line the police will be there to protect me. I believe that nine out of ten cops gravitate to that career because it affords then the power to be a bully and get away with it.

90% of law enforcement exists for no other reason than to generate income for their jurisdiction, the other 10% is there to arrest and assist in the prosecution of those who aren't connected to the right people in power to get away with their illegal activity.

Every time I have an encounter with a cop I have to wonder if the last guy he busted only to get his hands on some dope or if he busted him for the public good. Did he just let a drug dealer off the hook in exchange for half a key of coke?

In my opinion most of what law enforcement is, is just another racket; another institution of organized crime, and their primary target? Uneducated, unaware, but otherwise law abiding citizens. There is a reason there is no longer a Government, civics and constitution requirement in public high schools... those with authority don't want people to know their rights, it makes them the perfect target for predatory government.

Once people are ignorant of their rights they wont even know when they are taken away. Some people actually believe that you can be charged with a crime for refusing to talk to police. They think that their right to remain silent only applies while they are under arrest. As for their fourth amendment, I would be willing to bet that if you asked 100 people on the street what the fourth amendment was they wouldn't have the faintest idea or they would just bluff and say free speech. You can't tell me that police are not trained to take advantage of this.

Aaron1124

imported post

My friend recently got pulled over going 53 in a 35, and he got out of the ticket. The officer asked if there was a reason for his speeding, and he said "Well to be honest, I'm just on my way to a buddies house to watch the UFC." The officer said "Yeah.. I wish I could say the same thing." and let him off with a warning.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hey Aaron, I have had plenty of encounters with officers who fish for information.

I have had plenty of experience with officers who lable me "uncooperative" and many other labelsfor not answering their questions. I also had officers who informed me that even though it is their job to ask, that it would be in my best interest not to talk to them without a lawyer. And any lawyer worth their salt will tell you the same.

The best thing to do is not volunteer any information to officers. Be respectfull even though in my experience most officers don't return the same respect. I am sure you will be a good cop.

Funny BigDave doesn't ever post his opinions in the general forums, hmmmm wonder why?

cscitney87

imported post

If you really want to be passive aggressive; answer EVERY question with a Question.

Do you know how fast you were going?
How fast was I going?
Where are you heading today?
What interest of yours is my destination?
Are you playing games with me?
Do you think I am playing games with you?
Do you know the speed limit on this road?
What is the speed limit on this road?
Have you had anything to drink today?
Isn't drinking and driving illegal?
Do you have anything illegal in your car?
What makes you think I have something illegal in my car?

hehehehehehehehe Nothing wrong with that.

Aaron1124

imported post

I'm sure I will encounter many of these types of officers when I go in to the academy. Thankfully, I haven't met any yet.
Preferably I'd like to get two-three years with a local agency and start applying for D.E.A.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Well I'd be carefull about joining DEA, in my dream world prohibition will be a thing of the past. ( I am not a drug user, just don't see the constitutionality of prohibition)

Nevada carrier

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I'm sure I will encounter many of these types of officers when I go in to the academy. Thankfully, I haven't met any yet.
Preferably I'd like to get two-three years with a local agency and start applying for D.E.A.

Not only will you encounter them you will be trained to become them. We don't need more cops, we need more armed, educated and constitutionally minded law abiding citizens.

Look at some of the most crime ridden communities in this country and you will almost certainly find that they coincide with the most restrictive firearms laws.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
If you really want to be passive aggressive; answer EVERY question with a Question.

How fast was I going?

:lol:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:

How fast was I going?

That is pretty much exactly how I answer EXCEPT the ones in blue. By answering in that manner you are screwing yourself in court if you do get issued a speeding ticket.

My answer to "Do you know how fast you were going" is always "The exact posted speed limit and not one MPH over"

MY answer to "Do you know the speed limit on this road?"
" Yes officer, But do you?"

eye95

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

How fast was I going?

That is pretty much exactly how I answer EXCEPT the ones in blue. By answering in that manner you are screwing yourself in court if you do get issued a speeding ticket.

My answer to "Do you know how fast you were going" is always "The exact posted speed limit and not one MPH over"

MY answer to "Do you know the speed limit on this road?"
" Yes officer, But do you?"
Not all officers know the speed limit.

I recently received a warning for doing 79 in a 65. I was doing 59 in a 45 (construction). The deputy and I had a polite interchange. I did specifically say that I was not doing 79. Anyway, since he gave me a warning, I made no issue of it on the spot.

However, later that day, I called the Sheriff's department and alerted them that I had a GPS operating that recorded my speed and location. Had I received a ticket, we would be fighting this out in court. The deputy would have been discredited in front of a judge in a way that could be used against him in future proceedings. The person I spoke to assured me that all deputies will be advised of the technology out there and warned not to fudge the facts in the future.

Aaron1124

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Well I'd be carefull about joining DEA, in my dream world prohibition will be a thing of the past. ( I am not a drug user, just don't see the constitutionality of prohibition)
That's just the differences that make the world go 'round.

Aaron1124

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Not only will you encounter them you will be trained to become them. We don't need more cops, we need more armed, educated and constitutionally minded law abiding citizens.

Look at some of the most crime ridden communities in this country and you will almost certainly find that they coincide with the most restrictive firearms laws.
My reasons for wanting to become a police officer honestly have nothing to do with being a citizen who supports the constitution and carries a firearm. Infact, it's even more of a reason why I'd like to serve my community - to help uphold that. Many go in to the field for other reasons. Not me.