• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in county parks?

DJ_Amish

imported post

I was doing some hiking over the weekend and stopped at Piatt Park which is owned by the Monroe County Park district. They had a posting of park rules and No firearms allowed was mentioned. I am not sure when the rules were updated and want to address this. Can the county prohibit open or conceal carried in parks?

Brian D.

imported post

*Sigh*. This still happens with some frequency in Ohio, sad to say. Contact some combination of the following:

1) County park admin. offices.

2) County commissioners.

3) County procsecutor/solicitor/law director.

Make sure to cite the appropriate sections of the Ohio Revised Code (sorry, not at home and don't have the info with me).

JSlack7851

imported post

Brian is right, it happens too often. Yes they can do anything they want, however that being said their anti gun rules are not worth the paper they are printed on. ORC 9.68 preempts park rules concerning weapons. The park rangers will show you the rules on their little rule book, they will bully, lie and try to get you to cover it up. Then comes the "inducing panic" and " disorderly conduct" threats. Stand your ground, use your voice recorder to cover your a$$. Once they find out your not a sheeple they usually won't hold you long. But they will talk to you.

w8new

imported post

This thread just reminded me that I recently visited the Johnny Appleseed Metro Parks web site and on their rules page they list firearms as prohibited in any of their parks.

No person shall possess any firearms, weapons, fireworks, explosives, or harmful devices in the park.
The site also says this:
The Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District was created in June,1972 according to Chapter 1545 of the Ohio Revised Code and is a separate political subdivision of the State of Ohio.
They are absolutely in violation of ORC 9.68 I believe.

I gotta get on the ball and contact them in regards to getting that rule removed ASAP. We haven't been to one of those parks for a couple years but I bet the same rules and regs are posted there. Maybe I'll post about it over at OFCC also, but I intend to follow up on this one myself.

BTW, those parks are here in Allen County and there are I think 10 or 11 of them both large and small including a well used paved river walk/bicycle path that covers a few miles and passes through a couple of the parks here in Lima.