• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY cop in AZ just pissed me off

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

As with many urban areas, many people in Phoenix moved there from somewhere else, where open carry was not legal or common. We have been working for decades to keep open carry socially legitimized in Arizona. We are doing much better than most states, but it is an ongoing battle.

I applaud your open carrying, but it is worth while paying attention to the many cautions that other posters have made. When you are on private property, the owner of the property gets to set the rules. If you cannot exclude people from your property it is no longer private.

Dahwg

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
mFonz77 wrote:
Dahwg wrote:
Correct. You can't be charged under the premise that you didn't know, but you can be trespassed out.
Can you explain what you mean here? If, say, Iowa has a state law saying you cannot walk a dog on the sidewalk, and you go there and do it (ignorant of the law), you could still get charged. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Private property is just that.  If the owners/managers/caretakers prohibit firearms... you can be trespassed off the property if you're carrying.
Ah understood. Semantic issue.

Well kind of a semantic issue. The exemption for carry in an establishment that serves liquor is actually codified. It basically says if you're from out of state you get one free warning, we natives don't get that (unless of course the sign has just recently been posted or we're going in to see if the sign is legally posted).

As amended it's about the dumbest law on the books- for that you can thank the NRA. Sometimes they just need to stay out of the sausage making. For local concerns AZCDL does a much better job.

Kimberguy

imported post

TOF wrote:
Was the NY Cop an official in control of the meeting or just another attendee?

There is a big difference.
honestly couldn't tell you, not sure.

I just got home a few minutes ago.... definalty going to be trying to convince the wife to move out there soon.

SIGguy229

imported post

Tell "NY Dick" to go read the laws of AZ....then get back to you. Politely tell him to F___ OFF--because that is pretty much what NYers can relate to--and then tell him if he wants to enforce NY laws to go back there.

AZ is a free state...

brboyer

imported post

. . . some guy gets a little frazzeled over my gun. Asks me why i feel i need it, and makes me cover it. . . .

Some guy? Did you ask him who he was and what, if any, authority he had to tell you to do anything?

How did he "make" you?

Why do you allow strangers to tell you what to do?

lostone1413

imported post

brboyer wrote:
. . . some guy gets a little frazzeled over my gun. Asks me why i feel i need it, and makes me cover it. . . .

Some guy? Did you ask him who he was and what, if any, authority he had to tell you to do anything?

How did he "make" you?

Why do you allow strangers to tell you what to do?
Think i'd have told him to go F himself.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Uhm....

I presume you don't have a CCW Permit in AZ or any state that AZ recognizes.

If he told you to cover, he told you to break the law.

If you did, you broke the law.

In a few months this will no longer be so, but the law, today, and at the time of this incident; you can't conceal without a permit.

Mr. NY Sh!t-for-brains should have been promptly told to screw off for suggesting you break the law.

curtm1911

imported post

Me Thinks Mr. Shit For Brain NY guy would tell you to knowingly break the law because it is SOP for him in the first place, and in the second place, maybe he was wanting to attempt an arrest for a law he knows less than squat about......just a thought, some LEO's are so Badge Heavy, they forget where their jurisdictions end.......anyway, glad it all worked out ok and yes, Arizona is a Great Place to Live.