• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at work.

junkie

imported post

I was just curious if anyone open carries while at work? What kind of work is it? What your boss/other employees/customers think of you carrying? I know my company has a very srict no weapon policy and I am not sure if I would want to bring a gun with me there. I'm just wondering.

akito

imported post

mine stays with me while at work , in my tool box loaded :p I'm a mechanic for a major chain my boss don't care and 2 other guys bring me there guns to borrow or clean for them lol most of the time there riffles or shotguns and stay in there lockers

M

McX

imported post

i carry, and we allow open carry besides. customer don't seem to care, criminals don't seem to like it though. not unusual to see an open carrier or two around the shop.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

akito wrote:
mine stays with me while at work , in my tool box loaded :p I'm a mechanic for a major chain my boss don't care....
akito,
If
you are in Wisconsin and anybody but your boss finds out about it you will find yourself in a sh*tstorm, because you are keeping a concealed weapon. Since this forum is read by lots of people, including law enforcement, I'd unload, encase, and get it the h*ll out of there!

Dave

__

Banned
imported post

Aw, now, Dave, you're trying to sound lawyerly. But that's OK, we got it.

M

McX

imported post

dave, that point is true, but still, from all the way back from 'the day' to present, just about every mechanic i have known, or know has a special drawer on his tool box for the defensive tool of his trade. when i was in auto school, even the instructors spoke of their shop encounters, and how they had to go to that drawer for a defensive situation. i'm not saying it's right or wrong, all i am doing is saying.

bigdaddy1

imported post

davegran wrote:
akito wrote:
mine stays with me while at work , in my tool box loaded :p I'm a mechanic for a major chain my boss don't care....
akito,
If
you are in Wisconsin and anybody but your boss finds out about it you will find yourself in a sh*tstorm, because you are keeping a concealed weapon. Since this forum is read by lots of people, including law enforcement, I'd unload, encase, and get it the h*ll out of there!

Dave

Dave,

He is not carrying concealed, it is in his tool box. Second in Wisconsin concealed carry is legal on private property (assuming the owner/manager authorizes.) I can carry concealed on my property, and unlesssomeone can prove otherwise others can conceal carry on my property if/when given my express permission.

davegran

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:

Dave,

He is not carrying concealed, it is in his tool box....
[font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]I didn't say he was carrying concealed, I said he was keeping a concealed weapon.

941.23Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except
a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous
weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

History....
To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).[/font]
[/font]

Just my uneducated opinion.

Dave

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Another thought, Dave, is that the County Prosecutor may just be another of the legion of sockpuppet gentlemen now signing up, the good captain and his alter ego, my Rhinoceros...just sayin', ya' know, like...

We know of 'members' from Green Bay that would like the respect an attorney without the commitment of education and responsibility.

ffemt1079

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
davegran wrote:
akito wrote:
mine stays with me while at work , in my tool box loaded :p I'm a mechanic  for a major chain my boss don't care....
akito,
If

Dave

Dave,

He is not carrying concealed, it is in his tool box.  Second in Wisconsin concealed carry is legal on private property (assuming the owner/manager authorizes.)  I can carry concealed on my property, and unless someone can prove  otherwise others can conceal carry on my property if/when given my express permission.

+100

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

davegran wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:

Dave,

He is not carrying concealed, it is in his tool box....
[font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]I didn't say he was carrying concealed, I said he was keeping a concealed weapon.

941.23Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except
a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous
weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

History....
To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).[/font]
[/font]

Just my uneducated opinion.

Dave
Where is that exception for vehicle transportation, right next to the private property exception? Oh, I forgot

+10[sup]100[/sup]

ffemt1079

imported post

McX wrote:
dave, that point is true, but still, from all the way back from 'the day' to present, just about every mechanic i have known, or know has a special drawer on his tool box for the defensive tool of his trade. when i was in auto school, even the instructors spoke of their shop encounters, and how they had to go to that drawer for a defensive situation. i'm not saying it's right or wrong, all i am doing is saying.

+1

sometimes we just need to err on the side of caution and self preservation.....even if it means going against what some of man's laws deem innapropriate. If i am working in a very bad area, I'd rather know I can protect myself and ask for forgiveness later than end up dead and not be able to ask for anythig again. As is said, "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

davegran

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
Dave,
....in Wisconsin concealed carry is legal on private property (assuming the owner/manager authorizes.) I can carry concealed on my property, and unlesssomeone can prove otherwise others can conceal carry on my property if/when given my express permission.
Would you please cite the appropriate statute and case law that makes this possible?

Thanks,
Dave

bigdaddy1

imported post

davegran wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
Dave,
....in Wisconsin concealed carry is legal on private property (assuming the owner/manager authorizes.) I can carry concealed on my property, and unlesssomeone can prove otherwise others can conceal carry on my property if/when given my express permission.
Would you please cite the appropriate statute and case law that makes this possible?

Thanks,
Dave

Article I, § 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution, adopted in 1998, states: “[t]he people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.”

In State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, 264 Wis. 2d 520, 665 N.W.2d 328 (2003), the Supreme Court of Wisconsin rejected an Art. I, § 25 challenge to Wis. Stat. § 941.23, which prohibits the carrying of concealed weapons. Although the court found that the state right to "bear arms" is a fundamental, individual right under Art. I, § 25, the court held that it is subject to reasonable restriction. State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, ¶ 26, 264 Wis. 2d 520, ¶ 26, 665 N.W.2d 328, ¶ 26. Finding that section 941.23 is "a reasonable regulation on the time, place, and manner in which the right to bear arms may be exercised," the court upheld the statute. State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112, ¶ 28, 264 Wis. 2d 520, ¶ 28, 665 N.W.2d 328, ¶ 28.

In a companion case to Cole, State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785 (2003), the supreme court carved out an exception to the prohibition on carrying concealed weapons under section 941.23. In Hamdan, defendant owned a convenience store in a high crime area and kept a handgun for protection. Law enforcement officers performing a routine investigation of defendant’s business license discovered the concealed firearm, confiscated it, and prosecuted defendant for violating section 941.23. Defendant argued that the ban on carrying concealed weapons was unconstitutional as applied to him because it interfered with his "right to bear arms" under Art. I, § 25.

At the outset, the court emphasized that section 941.23 is constitutional and that the state may regulate firearms under its police power. State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, ¶ 46, 264 Wis. 2d 433, ¶ 46, 665 N.W.2d 785, ¶ 46. Furthermore, the court noted that "only if the public benefit in . . . exercise of the police power [to regulate firearms] is substantially outweighed by an individual’s need to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise valid restriction on that right be unconstitutional as applied." Id.

Following an extensive review of statutory and case law from other jurisdictions pertaining to both the carrying of concealed weapons and the right to "bear arms," the court found that defendant had a constitutional right under Art. I, § 25 to "keep and bear arms for the lawful purpose of security at the time he carried his concealed weapon . . . ." and reversed the conviction. State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, ¶ 84, 264 Wis. 2d 433, ¶ 84, 665 N.W.2d 785, ¶ 84.

The court noted that "f the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for security is to mean anything, it must, as a general matter, permit a person to possess, carry, and sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of his private residence or privately operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within these premises." State v. Hamdan, 2003 WI 113, ¶ 68, 264 Wis. 2d 433, ¶ 68, 665 N.W.2d 785, ¶ 68.