Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 .357 magnum

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States

Post imported post

Hey guys, Nikki here again. With more questions! .crowd cheers.

Okay. Here's my question/questions.

Anybody have any experience with the Ruger GP100?

I'm thinking about getting the 4in version for carry, and also as a snake gun for when I'm wading chest deep in a swamp, checking my crawfish and catfish traps.

I'm thinking that since I do plan on this gun getting wet; I have no choice but the stainless version?

Does anybody know how to waterproof ammo without having to pull it apart?

Or

Does anybody know where I can find waterproof .357 rounds?

Or

Ammo is already waterproof and I'm worrying for nothing?

Okay, that's it.

Thanks for the help guys.

~Nikki~

Edit: One last question about ammo. Do the shot shell rounds damage the rifling in a rifled barrel? (rat shot / snake shot)

Post imported post

I have one in the 6-inch version. Great gun! Although I don't use it for protective carry, just for hunting. It's pretty darn heavy.

Don't know about your ammo question though.

Post imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
    I have one in the 6-inch version.* Great gun!* Although I don't use it for protective carry, just for hunting.* It's pretty darn heavy.

Don't know about your ammo question though.
    Haha. Somebody will pop in to answer the ammo questions.
    Thanks for the feedback though.

~Nikki~

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have experience with the 4" Security and Police Six, the predecessor of the GP100, as well as with the SP101. All are excellent. I would not hesitate to get a GP100, though if you can find a Six it might be half the cost and just as good.
    Also, I've worn an SP101 extensively while hunting and while wading after trout. It deals with the moisture very well. I'd go stainless.

Post imported post

Haha. Thanks. Stainless was a requirement from the beginning since this firearm will be spending time completely submersed in swamps and flooded beanfields.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
    Haha. Thanks. Stainless was a requirement from the beginning since this firearm will be spending time completely submersed in swamps and flooded beanfields.
    Ummmm. Just because most of the gun is stainless does not mean all of it is.

If submersion is planned, it might be a good idea to check into which parts are not stainless. Little springs inside trigger group--the ones inside places that you're not really expected to be taking apart? The little spring under the cylinder release button--the one that takes that tiny, tiny little screw driver to get at? Adjustable sights or their screws? Front sight blade?

Percussion cap nipples? Oops. Wrong gun. [the crowd cheers]
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Nikki_Black wrote:
    Ummmm.* Just because most of the gun is stainless does not mean all of it is.

If submersion is planned, it might be a good idea to check into which parts are not stainless.* Little springs inside trigger group--the ones inside places that you're not really expected to be taking apart?* The little spring under the cylinder release button--the one that takes that tiny, tiny little screw driver to get at?* Adjustable sights or their screws?* Front sight blade?

Percussion cap nipples?* Oops.* Wrong gun.* [the crowd cheers]
    I know that. I plan on completely cleaning it after every submersion.

Post imported post

Heya Nikki,

- I have a Ruger GP-100 in Stainless steel with a 4" barrel.

- it is one of the guns i will NEVER trade or sell. I absolutely love it and trust it. it has withstood some hefty hand-loads (though not a regular menu item) and will throw rounds through the same hole when bench resting. I used to wear it in a gunslinger drop loop rig, and have owned it for many years. you cannot go wrong with one. Yes, they are a little heftier than many other .357 revolvers, butthat heft equates to excellent longevity and stamina. If your going to submerge it, as was mentioned, take care of the little non-stainless springs and pins. Overall, good lube and lots-a love (haha) will go a long way towards a great lifelong relationship (we are talking guns still BTW).

- Bullets and water. This is a GREAT subject, and is subject of awesome debate. Most manufacturers seal the cartridges pretty good, and water should not be a problem. If your hand-loading, there are products that can be applied to water-proof your rounds. In the military, as an infantry guy, we were taught to keep the weapon and rounds dry - but fact is, sleeping in the mud and rain,staying drydoesn't really happen, and my rifle was subject to as much water and funk as I was. Buy good rounds and you should be ok. Test the rounds you want to use via same or similar conditions that you plan to subject them too. I think in the end, you will be very pleased with the GP. They are great revolvers.

Bat
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

I have a GP100, 4" barrel, blued and I'm like Batousaii, I'll never part with it. Stainess may be better for getting wet a lot though I cant say for sure from experience.

Outdoorsman, if you think a GP100 is heavy check out a Super Redhawk, one of those could double as a anvil! Ruger revolvers are the most strongly built handguns that I've ever seen!

"You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

I own a 4" stainless GP 100 in .357 and have to agree with Batousii and Huck.......I will never part with it and hope to leave it to my son someday. In fact, if I could only own one handgun it would be my GP 100. I've got semi autos and other revolvers, but the GP 100 offers reliability, power, concealment (with the right duds), and a variety of ammo choices for various applications. It's flat out great. Longshot

Post imported post

while i agree with you on the GP 100, nothing beats the beautiful Colt Python.

Post imported post

Haha. I got myself a S&W 629 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel.
    Still considering the GP100, but at a later date.

Post imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
    Haha. I got myself a S&W 629 with a 6 1/2 inch barrel.
    Still considering the GP100, but at a later date.
    Good choice.

The GP is nice ... but an N-frame is nicer...

Post imported post

Hope you are not going SCUBA diving with it!

I LOVE my GP100! GREAT choice!

Try putting a dab of clear fingernail polish over the primers; enough tocover theedge (circumference).

The crimp on the bullets should be enough to seal out water.

Post imported post

As the proud owner of a 6"... GP100...

I would recommend the model to anyone looking for a straightforward reliable revolver.

Be aware that it's a heavier frame than, say, the SP101 (which I also like, but don't own)... not a good thing or a bad thing... but I like it that way.

I echo the advice of watching for water effects on the smaller/internal parts. Other than that, I see no concern having one at your side.

As for the ammo questions? Quality ammo shouldn't have a problem with CASUAL moisture. Not sure I'd trust any round to extended submersion.

The varmint loads? CCI, etc? I wouldn't worry about an occasional shotshell through them. A steady diet, I'm not so sure of. Plus, on basic examination of the CCIs, I would worry about the watertightness, barring some documented testing.

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

They are just now releasing a GP100 in .327 Magnum that handles .32S&W and .32S&W Long and .32 H&R. It is a 7 shot that has the same weight as a .357 GP100 when both are carrying magnum loads.
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post imported post

Proud owner of a 6" blued GP100 that i use for UOC(all we can do legally in California without a CCW which is virtually impossible to get where i am). Very reliable and accurate. One thing i like is that i can load it with .38 special rounds for my 11 and 12 yr old sons to fire at the range.

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    I have a GP100, 4" barrel, blued and I'm like Batousaii, I'll never part with it. Stainess may be better for getting wet a lot though I cant say for sure from experience.

Outdoorsman, if you think a GP100 is heavy check out a Super Redhawk, one of those could double as a anvil! Ruger revolvers are the most strongly built handguns that I've ever seen!
    You've got that right! But I still wouldn't want to carry a 6" GP100 around all day.

Post imported post

I carried my GP 100, stainless with a 6" barrel, around one day because I was inspired by the discussion on another thread.

It is heavy and you definately notice that it is on your side.

Nonetheless, it is an EXCELLENT revolver. I would not part with it for the world!

I've got a blued GP100 6", absolutely love this gun. Extremely reliable, extremely accurate, low recoil, very easy to aim. I've never shot a firearm that just felt like it was literally an extension of myself the way this gun shoots.

I have a 4" Stainless GP100, very happy with it. It's a nail-driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_Black View Post
    <snip> Edit: One last question about ammo. Do the shot shell rounds damage the rifling in a rifled barrel? (rat shot / snake shot)
    I wouldn't be worried at all about the rifling of my gun as that water moccasin was swimming up to me!!!

I had seen somewhere else on the forum, someone immersing their gun in I think alcohol to get all the water out, then letting it dry and oiling it up. Not sure but ask your local gunstore what they think the best way to treat it when it gets dropped in the swamp. :-) If all those boating accidents (that are so common) had happy endings there may be more of a response on how to get the water out. I would think some ex-Navy Seal could chime in on what waterproofing/expunging techniques they use.

Have you thought about .327magnum instead of .357?

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Have you thought about .327magnum instead of .357?
    Knowing nothing about the actual capabilities of the .327, I would go with the .357 simply for ease of finding ammunition.

I have a GP100 .357 Magnum 4 inch. I replaced the stock grip with Hogue Recoil Tamer Grip, I can shoot full-house rounds for an extended period of time now with no issues now. My 17 yo daughter, who liked the gun previously, now loves it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast