• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks

nova

imported post

Apparently the walk-up window Starbucks in the JC has been changed over to a Peets (that Cali chain that banned carry) when they opened a full-service regular Starbucks location in one of the new buildings (with its own entrance).

We all know OC on GMU's campus is legal. The VAC reg only applies to GMU buildings and events.

Since Starbucks rents the property for their location, and recently we found out that private companies renting public property can set whatever carry policy they want (like the Red Cross banning guns), is OC ok at this location since Starbucks says OC is fine as long as it is legal in the state the store is in?

t33j

imported post

nova wrote:
We all know OC on GMU's campus is legal. The VAC reg only applies to GMU buildings and events.
To be clear this is the stuff that applies to GMU and VCU only? Is that to say no other public University can ban in buildings and at events?

:question: I can't say for sure but it sounds like you may have answered your own question.

Consider this however: There's a Starbucks in our student center. Assume it is against the law to carry in that building. Starbucks would have no issue with my gun but the university police department would for violating both student policy and law; one must carry on university property to get there.

There's a Starbucks that rents place in our bookstore (with separate entrance). I haven't been brave enough to visit yet. (and frankly I like patronizing local places over chains anyway)

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

nova wrote:
Apparently the walk-up window Starbucks in the JC has been changed over to a Peets (that Cali chain that banned carry) when they opened a full-service regular Starbucks location in one of the new buildings (with its own entrance).

Since Starbucks rents the property for their location, and recently we found out that private companies renting public property can set whatever carry policy they want (like the Red Cross banning guns), is OC ok at this location since Starbucks says OC is fine as long as it is legal in the state the store is in?
I totally thought of this the other day and was going to ask you the next time I talked to you.

I dont think it would be an issue if it was just a Starbucks in a building on campus. However, the coffee place is in a dorm. I honestly think that Mason PD would find something asinine or someone would raise enough of a stink. Like we talked about the other night, we need someone to set the precedent.

nova

imported post

t33j wrote:
nova wrote:
To be clear this is the stuff that applies to GMU and VCU only? Is that to say no other public University can ban in buildings and at events?
There are two Virginia Administrative Code gun bans. One for GMU (separate from university policy that applies to students/fac./staff) and one for VCU. I don't believe they're worded the same so its best to look that up. I'm only familiar with GMU's.

nova

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
nova wrote:

I totally thought of this the other day and was going to ask you the next time I talked to you.

I dont think it would be an issue if it was just a Starbucks in a building on campus. However, the coffee place is in a dorm. I honestly think that Mason PD would find something asinine or someone would raise enough of a stink. Like we talked about the other night, we need someone to set the precedent.
yup.