• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of South Milwaukee

JGEARHOBBER

imported post

So I contacted my local police chief and asked if they had a map for the 1000 foot school zone no carry law, she said no, i'll get back to you. So she does get back to me today and tells me that she put in a request with the city engineering department to create the map I have requested. Works for me! I guess we'll see how long this takes.

__

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
These maps are typical. They usually include colleges, tech schools and daycares. Anything to make the zone larger.
Captain Nemo wrote:
Interesting that a city the size of Green Bay has 50 schools that teach grades 1 through 12. I think I read somewhere on this forum that the Wisconsin GFSZ applies only to schools that teach grades 1 through 12. Something rotten in Denmark me thinks, ahoy.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Man we got alott of schools in our small city. Keep us updated if ya recieve the map, I'm working on making an open carry friendly jogging route(no luck so far), as 47.05 prohibits me from carrying in the parks.

akito

imported post

I would be interested in that as well , I'm across the creek from the high school lol

akito

imported post

naw I'm well over 2000 feet from the high school . the parkway west of the school is still safe walking grounds lol

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm on the other side of the creek from the highschool as well, the north side that is by the southtowne apartments. lol Yeah the parkway Should be safe..... however I believe the school leases or owns the baseball diamond, so if your walking on the public street make sure you take your mesurement from the property line. Goddam I hate this law. And remember the parkway, the park, that runs along the creek is part of milwaukee county parks land.

So due to milwaukee county ordinance 47.05 we would have to walk on the street, unless you want to challenge it, as it is clearly pre-empted. That also sadly means no carrying at 7 bridges or by the beach :banghead:. Wish we had someone willing to challenge it, but I never ask anything of anyone elsethat I myself cannot do, even if it is dueto my financial restrictions. But if anyone does, I will be willing to help ya out in anyway possible with the hardships that come with being arrested/ the legal process.

Ben

akito

imported post

I stay on the west side of 17th ave and in that subdivision just across the street from the parkway sidewalk . I was thinking about the lakefront as well I should have a talk with the southmil pd about that

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Just remember, part of violating the GFSZ is "knowing".

If the city gives you a map then you can't very well argue that you didn't know now can you.

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for.

JGEARHOBBER

imported post

I could hear the judge now..."sir, if you knew by lawyou can openly carry a firearm, you should know where it is legal to do so."

Does that sound about right?

JGEARHOBBER

imported post

Im not sure how to make the file small enough (pdf), to attach it. i can email it to anyone who wants one or wants to see it

Jason in WI

imported post

Here is a link to the file JGEARHOBBER sent me. It's the only place I have handy to host the file but its better then him e-mailing it to everybody.

Thanks again JGEARHOBBER

http://www.box.net/shared/mu2i578acx

Not a direct link, you have to click it, sorry. But it appears you can view it before downloading so that's a plus.