• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Okla. tea parties and lawmakers envision militia', AP News for Yahoo.com

old dog

imported post

Okay, I tried the link and then the link within the link. No joy. Probably my lousy system.

I'm very interested in this subject. Would it be possible to post the text here for me? Many thanks for any help.

cscitney87

imported post

I read the article yesterday... Basically this is a very very exploratory conversation- They are all asking "... So what exactly Are we supposed to do when the Feds go to far?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/12/AR2010041203390.html

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Frustrated by recent political setbacks, tea party leaders and some conservative members of the Oklahoma Legislature say they would like to create a new volunteer militia to help defend against what they believe are improper federal infringements on state sovereignty.

cscitney87

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Gee, the concept of a citizen militia was around BEFORE the founding of this country. .. nobody said they were not.
Only problem I forsee is the CC/NRA crowd getting their thongs in a twist. ..What problems? Why mention problems with "Concealed Carry and National Rifle Association crowd?"
Where do I sign up?.. No where; it's exploratory. Nothing even close to something closely resembling anything close to an actual anything. Just discussion.

cscitney87

imported post

If you read the same article I read, some folks seemed to be shocked by such a radical concept.

Suggestion: go read the entire article, my points were dead on, no pun intended.
Posted: Tue Apr 13th, 2010 09:15 am I read the article yesterday...

But thanks for the suggestion... I'll read it a third time.

Please, answer the original questions

Only problem I forsee is the CC/NRA crowd getting their thongs in a twist. ..What problems? Why mention problems with "Concealed Carry and National Rifle Association crowd?"

cscitney87

imported post

because THOSE are the VERY people who will be the most opposed to this idea.
I'm asking you Why do you think that? Why do you believe those will be the very people who will be the most opposed to this idea? Specifically.

cscitney87

imported post

I don't have time to teach Common Sense 101 to adults, but there should be NO shortage of those who have nothing better to do with their time than argue over known fact.
I'm not being rude, am I? I'm just wondering why you said Concealed Carry advocates and NRA members are Most Against this discussed militia. No big deal, friend. This is a place for discussion. Can you answer the question, Sir; specifically?

cscitney87

imported post

Maybe you can supply references, sites, cites, or links that provide for the explanation that CC advocates and NRA members specifically are against this organized militia. I would appreciate the info! Thanks friend.

Thundar

imported post

Washington Post

Okla. tea parties and lawmakers envision militia

By SEAN MURPHY and TIM TALLEY

The Associated Press
Monday, April 12, 2010; 9:30 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Frustrated by recent political setbacks, tea party leaders and some conservative members of the Oklahoma Legislature say they would like to create a new volunteer militia to help defend against what they believe are improper federal infringements on state sovereignty.

Tea party movement leaders say they've discussed the idea with several supportive lawmakers and hope to get legislation next year to recognize a new volunteer force. They say the unit would not resemble militia groups that have been raided for allegedly plotting attacks on law enforcement officers.

"Is it scary? It sure is," said tea party leader Al Gerhart of Oklahoma City, who heads an umbrella group of tea party factions called the Oklahoma Constitutional Alliance. "But when do the states stop rolling over for the federal government?"

Thus far, the discussions have been exploratory. Even the proponents say they don't know how an armed force would be organized nor how a state-based militia could block federal mandates. Critics also asserted that the force could inflame extremism, and that the National Guard already provides for the state's military needs.

"Have they heard of the Oklahoma City bombing?" said Joseph Thai, a constitutional law professor at the University of Oklahoma. The state observes the 15th anniversary of the anti-government attack on Monday. Such actions could "throw fuel in the fire of radicals," he said.

But the militia talks reflect the frustration of some grass roots groups seeking new ways of fighting recent federal initiatives, such as the health reform plan, which requires all citizens to have health insurance. Over the last year, tea party groups across the country have staged rallies and pressured politicians to protest big government and demand reduced public spending.

In strongly conservative states like Oklahoma, some legislators have also discussed further action to fight federal policies, such as state legislation and lawsuits.

State Sen. Randy Brogdon, R-Owasso, a Republican candidate for governor who has appealed for tea party support, said supporters of a state militia have talked to him, and that he believes the citizen unit would be authorized under the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

The founding fathers "were not referring to a turkey shoot or a quail hunt. They really weren't even talking about us having the ability to protect ourselves against each other," Brogdon said. "The Second Amendment deals directly with the right of an individual to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an overreaching federal government."

Another lawmaker, state Rep. Charles Key, R-Oklahoma City, said he believes there's a good chance of introducing legislation for a state-authorized militia next year.

Tea party leader J.W. Berry of the Tulsa-based OKforTea began soliciting interest in a state militia through his newsletter under the subject "Buy more guns, more bullets."

"It's not a far-right crazy plan or anything like that," Berry said. "This would be done with the full cooperation of the state Legislature."

State militias clearly are constitutionally authorized, but have not been used in recent times, said Glenn Reynolds, a law professor at the University of Tennessee and an expert on the Second Amendment. "Whether someone should get a militia to go toe-to-toe with the federal government ... now, that strikes me as kind of silly," he said.

Some conservative legislators in Oklahoma say talk of a militia, which would be privately recruited, armed and trained, goes too far.

"If the intent is to create a militia for disaster relief, we have the National Guard," said Sen. Steve Russell, R-Oklahoma City, a retired Army lieutenant colonel. "Anything beyond that purpose should be viewed with great concern and caution."

Democratic Gov. Brad Henry's communications director Paul Sund also discounted the militia discussion, saying the National Guard handles state emergencies and security.

Federal authorities say that radical militia groups have not emerged in Oklahoma, unlike many other states, in part because of the legacy of the Oklahoma City bombing. On April 19, 1995, an anti-government conspiracy led by Army veteran Tim McVeigh exploded a truckbomb outside the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 people.

Last month, FBI agents conducted a raid on the Hutaree militia group in southern Michigan and accused members of plotting to kill law enforcement officers.

(This version CORRECTS the spelling of building from Alfred P. Murray to Murrah.)

nobama

imported post

I will bet there is alot more talking about it than just there. I dont know about anybody els, but Ive seen enough. Our founders didnt put up with this much BS.

old dog

imported post

Thanks Thundar et al.

This may well be an idea whose time has come. Admittedly, there is potential for problems but properly constituted and operated it would be in the finest traditions of our country.

If under office of a governor such a body would require and enjoy legislated authority superseding local law enforcement. Leadership would have to be chosen and screened with utmost care. We have to face the fact that there are nuts out there.

I can almost hear the screeching now. As a Briton might say: This would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

okboomer

imported post

Senator Randy Brogdan is the elected official who is spearheading this debate in the public forum, you can see some of his recent statements here .

He is also running for Governor, so take his statements for whatever you would consider they are worth in an ongoing political campaign.

Also, Sen. Brogdan's statements were geared more towards supplementing the Oklahoma National Guard while they are (currently) deployed for providing emergency services and relief during times of natural or man-made disasters. (Geesh, who would of thought there is an actual application for that Obamanisim?)

This was what was aired last night.

marine77

imported post

Thundar wrote:

State militias clearly are constitutionally authorized, but have not been used in recent times, said Glenn Reynolds, a law professor at the University of Tennessee and an expert on the Second Amendment. "Whether someone should get a militia to go toe-to-toe with the federal government ... now, that strikes me as kind of silly," he said.

The thing is that the state militia's are constitutionally authorized, but also federally.

Under United States Code, it authorizes every able bodied man, yada, yada, and on

and on. (It's been a while since i've had to use it for anything, but it's there). So no

matter what you might believe or think YOU may be part of the militia:what:

OH, my GOD!!!!:celebrate

marine77

imported post

No, not "every" man.

Read up on it and you'll find who's NOT eligible.

That's the rest of the yada, yada, i just didn't get into it. Besides i said you may be in

the militia. Let's not get too technical, because i'm not in a technical mood tonight.