• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Okla. tea parties and lawmakers envision militia', AP News for Yahoo.com

AbNo

imported post

I have it bookmarked. It's great against the antis when they try the "Militias are the National Guard!!!1111" argument. :D

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sec_10_00000311----000-.html

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > §311 §311. Militia: composition and classes 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. (b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

sraacke

imported post

Many States already have legal militias. They are called State Defense Forces, State Guards or State Military Reserves. Here in Louisiana we have the LA State Guard. I signed up after I was discharged from the Army. There's no need to reinvent the wheel. State Defence Forces exist, are legal and can be expanded if and when the Govenor of a state sees fit.

More about SDFs at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Defense_Forces

Sincerely,

Steve R.

Former SSgt in LaSG, 1st Area Command, Baton Rouge, La.

sraacke

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
You learn something new every day. I honestly had no idea there were SDF forces. Other than some lets say.... energetic... ones I wouldn't want to associate with.

Which is exactily why, after years of running around with some of the more "energtic" citizen militias I realized I wanted something legit so I found the State Guard Association and they put me in touch with the person over recruiting for the LaSG. I trained in emergency management and learned to use resource tracking software so, for instance, if the State EOC sent a generator to a shelter in a certain Parish we knew where it was and who had it. Basic inventory control I also tested the RACES/Ham radio station at the State EOC each monthand learnd shelter duties. I leftLaSG to spend more time with the Volunteer Fire Department which lead to my getting a paid FD job. IF you live in a state with a SDF I recommend you check them out.

Here's a link to the SDF subforum over at Military dot Com-

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1120002010001

Lots of good info there. Hope this helped.
Wait...I just saw that you are in Texas. Heck, Texas has a very active SDF. Check them out at- http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/

More info and discussion here- http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewforum.php?id=30.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I would think most of the people in the National Guard are more loyal to the Federal Government than the State Govenment. It has been a very long time since people associate themselfs with their state over the Federal (America) Government. As for the State Guard I do not know enough about them to makea statement other than to wonderwhere their Federal trained officers real loyalty lies.

imported post

LOL, just too funny for words.........

People are finally waking up to the fact government IS the problem !!

In a futile attempt to FIX the problem, they turn to, you guessed it, government.

As Jed Clampett would say, "pitiful, just pitiful."

marine77

imported post

Under the militia system, much of the population arms itself. They bring their own

weapons and supplies and train irregularly to train and drill. Usually ages range

from 16 to 60. But not according to united states code.

okboomer

imported post

Does anyone remember the old Civil Defense Corps? My dad was a member and I was with him through out his duties ... through tornado, snow storm, and on the firelines when the artillery base set the wildlife refuge on fire in the summer.

In fact, the three school buildings that were in 'our' section of town that were the rally points were also the warehouse and storage points for materials and supplies ... 10 days of canned food and bottled water, generator, cots, blankets, sanitary facility supplies, medical supplies, etc. The three buildings were located on the same block and were also bomb shelters (built ca. 1965-1966). There were 5 other guys in the group and all 6 of them were licensed ham radio operators (a requirement at that time).

So, in Oklahoma, I am not sure whether we actually need a civilian militia ... maybe just reactivate the old Civil Defense program. Most of the infrastructure should still be in place as it was intended to last.

okboomer

imported post

:D

My point was thatan existing infrastructure and a proven track record might save some money and be implemented quicker ... but then, asking Congress, Federal or State, to save money is about like asking the Bradyites to use logical debate rather than hysteria and hyperbole.