Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: PASSIN THRU

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STUARTS DRAFT, VA, ,
    Posts
    94

    Post imported post

    OK guys and gals I am passing thru Al on my way to Ms in a few weeks what are the laws as far as open carry and transporting firearms? My Va permit is no good down there so any help would be great thanks again. I am good everywhere but ala. Thanks again

  2. #2
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    787

    Post imported post

    If you're in a car, just keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk. I don't remember if the ammo has to be locked up separately, or not.

    Check on your state website. If MS reciprocates a VA license then you may be okay transporting it however it is legal to transport in VA/MS.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

  3. #3
    Regular Member Jonathon Norris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    196

    Post imported post

    Hmm... I'm pretty sure having a handgun in your car in any way in Alabama is illegal without a permit.

    However, if it is locked in your trunk, they cannot search your trunk without your consent or probable cause. So you should be fine if you don't give the officers consent or probable cause to search your vehicle.

    I know, it sucks.

    Can anyone verify this? I never went over the traveling aspect of firearms law in Bama.
    A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

    - Odin
    The Havamal

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,076

    Post imported post

    Is your VA permit good in MS? If it is, then, worst case scenario, you follow federal rules for transporting a firearm from State to State. If your permit is not good in MS, you will have to follow AL rules for transporting a handgun in your car without a permit. I don't know what those rules are.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STUARTS DRAFT, VA, ,
    Posts
    94

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    Is your VA permit good in MS? If it is, then, worst case scenario, you follow federal rules for transporting a firearm from State to State. If your permit is not good in MS, you will have to follow AL rules for transporting a handgun in your car without a permit. I don't know what those rules are.
    yeah its good in Ms. So thats kinda what I was thinking, I was going to have to follow the transporting laws. Just didnt know if I was missing something. I guess in a p/u truck I am going to have to have a locked box if I make no mistake..... Oh well thanks guys

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    Best you either go around through TN, or stop in a gun store to enquir
    about having 'repair' work done, as you are allowed to have gun in the car
    to take to get fixed. Maybe bring a broken mag with you. You don't like the
    price quote so you then move on to MS, or buy a new mag and support us a little.
    That and don't consent to searches of vehicle. Going back don't get pulled over
    by same cop.
    AL is not a notify state so you don't have to incriminate yourself if stopped.

    It would be real helpful for us if you purchase a handgun down here, and then get
    nabbed for the second gun being illegal in the car next to the legal one just
    purchased.

    You might want to shed your VA speeding laws down here, or you will be
    run over from behind.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    mt. olive, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    You can't open or conceal carry in a car without a permit. You will need to lock the gun in the trunk and keep the ammo in the glove box. It is legal to transport a weapon this way per federal law. I might be wrong on that part but i remember reading that somewhere so if anyone knows exactly where it says that let me know please.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eight Mile, , USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    fox2102 wrote:
    You can't open or conceal carry in a car without a permit. You will need to lock the gun in the trunk and keep the ammo in the glove box. It is legal to transport a weapon this way per federal law. I might be wrong on that part but i remember reading that somewhere so if anyone knows exactly where it says that let me know please.
    I don't think so. I know AL state law states that transportation is OK for sale, purchase, repair, and like one other thing, as long as it is "secured" or something. I'd have to look it up again but I am fairly certain that it is "ok", in a subjective sense. The wording is not exactly clear on what is meant.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,076

    Post imported post

    smttysmth02gt wrote:
    fox2102 wrote:
    You can't open or conceal carry in a car without a permit. You will need to lock the gun in the trunk and keep the ammo in the glove box. It is legal to transport a weapon this way per federal law. I might be wrong on that part but i remember reading that somewhere so if anyone knows exactly where it says that let me know please.
    I don't think so. I know AL state law states that transportation is OK for sale, purchase, repair, and like one other thing, as long as it is "secured" or something. I'd have to look it up again but I am fairly certain that it is "ok", in a subjective sense. The wording is not exactly clear on what is meant.
    He is passing through from a State where he is licensed to carry to a State where he is licensed to carry. Federal law (rightfully, in this case) takes precedence over State law. He is permitted to have the firearm in his vehicle as long as he follows the federal law--Alabama law notwithstanding.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eight Mile, , USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    smttysmth02gt wrote:
    fox2102 wrote:
    You can't open or conceal carry in a car without a permit. You will need to lock the gun in the trunk and keep the ammo in the glove box. It is legal to transport a weapon this way per federal law. I might be wrong on that part but i remember reading that somewhere so if anyone knows exactly where it says that let me know please.
    I don't think so. I know AL state law states that transportation is OK for sale, purchase, repair, and like one other thing, as long as it is "secured" or something. I'd have to look it up again but I am fairly certain that it is "ok", in a subjective sense. The wording is not exactly clear on what is meant.
    He is passing through from a State where he is licensed to carry to a State where he is licensed to carry. Federal law (rightfully, in this case) takes precedence over State law. He is permitted to have the firearm in his vehicle as long as he follows the federal law--Alabama law notwithstanding.
    What I was referring to was not permit or citizen specific. Just as you'd have to obey speed limit signs, although they may be different from state to state. I do not know what federal law you guys have spoken of.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,076

    Post imported post

    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §926A Prev | Next §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms How Current is This? Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eight Mile, , USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §926A Prev | Next §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms How Current is This? Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    I see. In other words, paperweight.

    That is buh-tarded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •