Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling through Oregan and Washington

Post imported post

Are the open carry laws the same for me coming from California?

Post imported post

No....lol...if your moving this way you'll be glad you did when it comes to open carry.

Post imported post

righton73 Not sure what you are asking here but Oregon is an open carry state. Check here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/923.html for cities in Oregon that ban loaded open carry. I can't seem to find the Oregon pamphlet?

Washington is an open carry state but doesn't allow you to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a permit. Unloaded open carry in a car is fine. They have statewide preemption so open carry is fine everywhere. You can see their pamphlet here. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/32333.html

Post imported post

i'm going to spend a bit of time in each state passing through as i hike the Pacific Crest Trail...

Post imported post

Oregon is open carry fully loaded. without a CHP you cannont OC in most of the portland area and most public buildings as well. There is a rumor that if you cite the reason as self defense out of staters can get approved for CHPs here. Of course this depends on which county you apply in. I would try the rural ones first.

Post imported post

I'll also be passing through on my way to Washington this weekend. I'll be following I 84. Whats the regulations on car carry? outside the car I'll probably leave it Israeli loaded as I do in UT.

Any info would be much appreciated

Post imported post

Carry in a car exactly like open carry when walking. Just has to be visible.

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    awesome thank you

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    Except some of the cities would consider you in violation of loaded OC without permit even in your car. They don't consider it your property.

Post imported post

He asked about Oregon law. In Oregon you can carry it loaded. Except in Portland and most of the cities surrounding Portland.

Post imported post

If you are thinking of getting your OOS CHL, Washington County (Oregon) has a good Sheriff. The State of Washington is shall issue for OOSers. I applied in Clark County, WA, and the staff in both counties of Washington & Oregon were super friendly.

Erik.

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    What is considered visible? or concealed? Can leave it holstered while driving

Post imported post

In Oregon 80% or more of the weapon has to be visible. This does NOT include a holster. A holstered weapon sitting on a seat is considered 100% visible.

*edit* I don't know if this was clear but long guns cannot have a round in the chamber unlike a pistol

Post imported post

Well Im finally home and had a great experience. no problems at all

Post imported post

Cool I hope you enjoyed Oregon. I'd like to visit Utah soon myself.

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    In Oregon 80% or more of the weapon has to be visible. This does NOT include a holster. A holstered weapon sitting on a seat is considered 100% visible.

*edit* I don't know if this was clear but long guns cannot have a round in the chamber unlike a pistol
    Please cite a reference for long guns not being able to have a chambered round. I suspect you will not find one which makes it lawful to do so.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

I can't find a specific law on not having a round in the chamber of a rifle, but really why would you have one in the chamber in the first place? I don't know for sure but the place I took my CHL class said this. I doubt anyone would stop you and check and I doubt you would get in trouble even if it was loaded. I would never have a round in the chamber of a rifle while I was driving around unless it was WROL type stuff and then it wouldn't matter.

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    I can't find a specific law on not having a round in the chamber of a rifle, but really why would you have one in the chamber in the first place? I don't know for sure but the place I took my CHL class said this. I doubt anyone would stop you and check and I doubt you would get in trouble even if it was loaded. I would never have a round in the chamber of a rifle while I was driving around unless it was WROL type stuff and then it wouldn't matter.

That is because there is no law. No law = LEGAL. In Oregon a long gun can be loaded, concealed, and one in the chamber when it's in your vehicle unless you have no permit AND are in a city/county with a local banning ordinance.

ORS 166.250 (1) (b)is the applicable law and only prohibits HANDGUNS that are concealed and readily accessible.

LOCAL ban ordinances apply (and can apply to long guns as well depending on what they say) if you have no Oregon CHL.

I routinely have one in the chamber during hunting season, not because I want that easy roadside shot (that's illegal and is NOT hunting) but do so to minimize handling (loading unloading operations)which minimizes opportunity for errors when travelling between hunting locations.

"Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Yeah, I've heard a few people state things that they learned in the CCW classes that the instructor said was "according to the law" and I've thought it was so far out, never heard of it, or sounded kooky enough to ask them to give me reference to which ORS...which they usually can't.

Post imported post

I've actually contemplated trying to get a group or association of some sort together where knowledgeable people go incognito to CHL training courses to "audit" the instructor.

I know one here that, when he said I couldn't open carry in Multnomah county and I pulled out my copy of THE LAW he said "I don't care what the law says, it's illegal as he turned and walked away.

Now, had he said something along the lines of "they don't like open carry in Multnomah county and you're very likely to be harassed and/or unlawfully arrested" well then that would have been acceptable.

Same guy told the classes that both my wife and I took (separately) when we were new here that when you get your CHL you can no longer carry openly.....among other mis statements.

And then there are all the cops that, if you ask, will tell you you can't do this and you can't do that, but can't point to a law that says so because......wait for it......IT'S LEGAL. LOL Such things as carrying into a bank, city hall, school, college, chambered long guns in cars with or without a CHL, concealed handguns without a CHL while going DIRECTLY to/from and while HUNTING of FISHING (with hunting or fishing license in posession). Shall I continue?
    Beretta92FSLady

Post imported post

Oooh! CCW class audit. That would be awsome. You could go armed with a folder of ORS and major city laws. Near the end, raise your hand and start asking questions about inconsitancies. "Really....according to the copy of ORS (fill in the numbers here) that I just printed off the Oregon Revised Statues page, that states...." hehe

Post imported post

I carry a printed copy of the ORS. It comes in handy.

I also carry pamphlets "Open Carry is Legal" and a 17 hour digital audio recorder.
    Beretta92FSLady

Post imported post

I like those pamphlets. I printed off a bunch on some card stock and delivered them around to some local gun shops and carry some with me.

Post imported post

I carry them with me at all times. Have given out quite a few at the college and gotten a lot of support for changing the unlawful policies there.

I use card stock to print "no gun, no money" cards and carry a couple in my wallet in case a business want's me to leave because of the firearm. So far only the Rogue Valley Mall has done that.

Hmmmmmm I wonder if I could give the tax assessors office one of those cards since they have "no firearms" signs up at all the gubmint buildings? What ya think?
    Beretta92FSLady

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast