• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through Oregan and Washington

Ruger9mm

imported post

righton73 Not sure what you are asking here but Oregon is an open carry state. Check here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/923.html for cities in Oregon that ban loaded open carry. I can't seem to find the Oregon pamphlet?

Washington is an open carry state but doesn't allow you to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a permit. Unloaded open carry in a car is fine. They have statewide preemption so open carry is fine everywhere. You can see their pamphlet here. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/32333.html

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Oregon is open carry fully loaded. without a CHP you cannont OC in most of the portland area and most public buildings as well. There is a rumor that if you cite the reason as self defense out of staters can get approved for CHPs here. Of course this depends on which county you apply in. I would try the rural ones first.

younggun20

imported post

I'll also be passing through on my way to Washington this weekend. I'll be following I 84. Whats the regulations on car carry? outside the car I'll probably leave it Israeli loaded as I do in UT.

Any info would be much appreciated

Cremator75

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
Carry in a car exactly like open carry when walking. Just has to be visible.
Except some of the cities would consider you in violation of loaded OC without permit even in your car. They don't consider it your property.

Window_Seat

imported post

If you are thinking of getting your OOS CHL, Washington County (Oregon) has a good Sheriff. The State of Washington is shall issue for OOSers. I applied in Clark County, WA, and the staff in both counties of Washington & Oregon were super friendly.:cool:

Erik.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

In Oregon 80% or more of the weapon has to be visible. This does NOT include a holster. A holstered weapon sitting on a seat is considered 100% visible.

*edit* I don't know if this was clear but long guns cannot have a round in the chamber unlike a pistol

We-the-People

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
In Oregon 80% or more of the weapon has to be visible. This does NOT include a holster. A holstered weapon sitting on a seat is considered 100% visible.

*edit* I don't know if this was clear but long guns cannot have a round in the chamber unlike a pistol
Please cite a reference for long guns not being able to have a chambered round. I suspect you will not find one which makes it lawful to do so.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I can't find a specific law on not having a round in the chamber of a rifle, but really why would you have one in the chamber in the first place? I don't know for sure but the place I took my CHL class said this. I doubt anyone would stop you and check and I doubt you would get in trouble even if it was loaded. I would never have a round in the chamber of a rifle while I was driving around unless it was WROL type stuff and then it wouldn't matter.

We-the-People

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
I can't find a specific law on not having a round in the chamber of a rifle, but really why would you have one in the chamber in the first place? I don't know for sure but the place I took my CHL class said this. I doubt anyone would stop you and check and I doubt you would get in trouble even if it was loaded. I would never have a round in the chamber of a rifle while I was driving around unless it was WROL type stuff and then it wouldn't matter.

That is because there is no law. No law = LEGAL. In Oregon a long gun can be loaded, concealed, and one in the chamber when it's in your vehicle unless you have no permit AND are in a city/county with a local banning ordinance.

ORS 166.250 (1) (b)is the applicable law and only prohibits HANDGUNS that are concealed and readily accessible.

LOCAL ban ordinances apply (and can apply to long guns as well depending on what they say) if you have no Oregon CHL.

I routinely have one in the chamber during hunting season, not because I want that easy roadside shot (that's illegal and is NOT hunting) but do so to minimize handling (loading unloading operations)which minimizes opportunity for errors when travelling between hunting locations.

Jenshubby

imported post

Yeah, I've heard a few people state things that they learned in the CCW classes that the instructor said was "according to the law" and I've thought it was so far out, never heard of it, or sounded kooky enough to ask them to give me reference to which ORS...which they usually can't.