• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling through Oregan and Washington

We-the-People

imported post

I've actually contemplated trying to get a group or association of some sort together where knowledgeable people go incognito to CHL training courses to "audit" the instructor.

I know one here that, when he said I couldn't open carry in Multnomah county and I pulled out my copy of THE LAW he said "I don't care what the law says, it's illegal as he turned and walked away.

Now, had he said something along the lines of "they don't like open carry in Multnomah county and you're very likely to be harassed and/or unlawfully arrested" well then that would have been acceptable.

Same guy told the classes that both my wife and I took (separately) when we were new here that when you get your CHL you can no longer carry openly.....among other mis statements.

And then there are all the cops that, if you ask, will tell you you can't do this and you can't do that, but can't point to a law that says so because......wait for it......IT'S LEGAL. LOL Such things as carrying into a bank, city hall, school, college, chambered long guns in cars with or without a CHL, concealed handguns without a CHL while going DIRECTLY to/from and while HUNTING of FISHING (with hunting or fishing license in posession). Shall I continue?

Jenshubby

imported post

Oooh! CCW class audit. That would be awsome. You could go armed with a folder of ORS and major city laws. Near the end, raise your hand and start asking questions about inconsitancies. "Really....according to the copy of ORS (fill in the numbers here) that I just printed off the Oregon Revised Statues page, that states...." hehe

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I like those pamphlets. I printed off a bunch on some card stock and delivered them around to some local gun shops and carry some with me.

We-the-People

imported post

I carry them with me at all times. Have given out quite a few at the college and gotten a lot of support for changing the unlawful policies there.

I use card stock to print "no gun, no money" cards and carry a couple in my wallet in case a business want's me to leave because of the firearm. So far only the Rogue Valley Mall has done that.

Hmmmmmm I wonder if I could give the tax assessors office one of those cards since they have "no firearms" signs up at all the gubmint buildings? What ya think?

TheHossUSMC

imported post

The Lane County Sheriffs office told me that if a public building has it posted then you can't go in, but I have yet to be provided any evidence to some law that supports that. I conceal carry into posted private property and claim ignorance of the sign if caught. All they can do is trespass you so no biggie.

We-the-People

imported post

The lane county sheriffs office is WRONG.

Also, the majority of the signs I've seen on public buildings give a reference to ORS 166.360 (which only offers definitions, not any prohibitions or exemptions) or ORS 166.370 (which has within it an exemption for CHL holders).

What I am wanting to find is a legal opinion, case law, etc. that shows that you can not be trespassed from public property, particularly when you have legitimate business on that public property, unless you are breaking the law. That is the "backup plan" that they use and it's a very gray area in my mind until such time as I find legal documentation that they can't do it.